2016 Summer Olympics Rio

Started by DrinkingHarp, May 24, 2016, 06:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrinkingHarp

In two months the world will be focused on Rio Brazil and from everything I have read online and watched on the news it looks like a major clusterfuck. Zika Virus, Police Killings, Financial Crisis, Shoddy and undone construction, Presidential Impeachment/Political Crisis, Environmental Crisis and displacing citizens.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rio-olympics-2016-brazil-crises_us_573b53e7e4b0646cbeeb02c8

I hope that everything goes well and we get to see the world's greatest athletes perform but I would not go there with free tickets/transportation/housing. Seven years ago the world rejoiced at the Olympics being held in South America and I hope they can cheer after the closing ceremonies.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

omaghjoe

Brazil World Cup cost too much

Sochi Winter Olympics was gonna get attacked

South Africa everyone was gonna get shot or AIDs

The media always want to talk about the event but there is nothing to talk about so they talk about shite that is either nothing to do with or vaguely related to the games.

stew

This virus will stop some of the world's best from participating, Mcilroy said to be staying home, he will not be the only one.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 24, 2016, 06:21:24 AM

The media always want to talk about the event but there is nothing to talk about so they talk about shite that is either nothing to do with or vaguely related to the games.

esp SKY they shit on anything they dont have control over, every week they run the same shit from Orla shit-a-wee about shooting, bulidings etc.

screenexile

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on May 24, 2016, 10:31:37 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 24, 2016, 06:21:24 AM

esp SKY they shit on anything they dont have control over, every week they run the same shit from Orla shit-a-wee about shooting, bulidings etc.

Easy on there son that's a good Screen lady you're slandering!!!

imtommygunn

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 28, 2016, 09:14:04 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36909409

Rule 40 for the olympics. Ludicrous.

The Olympics are a scam

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/27/biggest-threat-future-olympic-games-rio-2016-ioc-thomas-bach-hosts

Over the course of two months early in 2015, public opinion in Boston completely flipped. In January it had been polling 54% in favour of the bid. By March, the figure fell to 38%. In between, No Boston Olympics picked apart the details of the bid, cut through the "glossy brochures showing how the venues would look" and made it clear "the taxpayers were on the hook".
The Boston bid became untenable. Dempsey says it was "a reaction to the excesses of recent years. Especially Beijing but also London, because when you look at what was actually spent on those Olympics it is something like four times the original budget."
In Hamburg, on the other hand, the anti-Olympic movement was rooted in the left. Florian Kasiske ran the PR for the NOlympia campaign. "There was a spectrum," he says. It combined students, young members of the left-wing parties and a lot of harbour workers who were against the Olympics too, because their jobs were being threatened."
Kasiske says one of the big issues was the gentrification of the city, especially around the harbour. "The Games are a big motor for displacement of poor people from inner city areas." The other was the immigration crisis. "The people kept asking: 'How can we organise the Olympics when we have to find housing for so many of the people who have come to the city? These people are sleeping in tents, and the politicians want to make a new velodrome?'"

seafoid

20 years since Michelle Smith and her medals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PobZMvyT1iM

and Jimmy Magee will never let her down

Boycey

Watching the women's cycling road race there and the leader has taken a savage fall on the final descent. I've had to turn it off I can't watch anymore :(

imtommygunn

Some rough ones in the mens too and quite a few falls. Looks like dangerous enough terrain.

Boycey

redzone

Quote from: Boycey on August 07, 2016, 08:48:19 PM
Dutch cycling federation seem to be saying she's ok

https://twitter.com/knwu/status/762366862650961924

She's Gona make a quicker recovery than u boyecy by the sounds of it

AZOffaly

This is the week I prefer. I wouldn't be big on the big money athletics. I like the Swimming, boxing and the more unusual events like the kayaking, basketball, etc etc. Nice to see Rugby 7s as well.

muppet

I was looking forward as always to the Olympics, but in the last few days I discovered I am not really interested at all.

Hard to pin-point why exactly. But a few relatively small things have pissed me off.

*Irish boxer fails doping test - I was particularly looking forward to seeing how the boxers go to on. Not so much now.
* British cycling heroine give a Lance Armstrong statement - defended by British cycling (I had a look at the success of British cycling over the decades and was going to post an analysis, but don't want to get sued - lets just say in the druggiest of sports their success since the year 2000 is 'unnatural'.)
* Russians
* Kenyans
* IOC
* IOC sponsors
* Did I mention drugs?

I'll still probably watch some of the athletics, but at this stage that may be the biggest joke of the lot.
MWWSI 2017