John Maughan
11 (11.1%)
Kevin McStay
50 (50.5%)
A.N. Other
29 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 99

macdanger2

Thanks to James for a massive effort, great player, great manager. Pity he couldn't get us over the line

Chimley

James Horan has left Mayo football in a far better place than when he took over. We are no longer looked at as underdogs with a soft streak and hopefully the next man along can build on that foundation.
This year was always going to be his last hurrah and that might have been part of our undoing in the end. If he had more of an eye to next year, I think that Sweeney, Gallagher, Regan and a few more might have got some/more game time. Instead he understandably went with the experienced lads to get us over the line and it very nearly paid off. I think he genuinely felt that there was one last push left in the tank.
The next man up is crucial to get right. We are not far off but the team will need steady rebuilding over the next few years. I like the way Kerry have replaced their older players with young lads who might not have been stars at underage but who all have the kind of 'stuff' required for the modern game.   

moysider

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 31, 2014, 11:28:29 AM
Quote from: rrhf on August 31, 2014, 09:42:17 AM
I think that the best team lost. And that the dubs have been handed the all Ireland.  The ref in the game today will be watched with interest.

Kerry were the better team with the more talented young players. Dublin will fear Kerry far more than any Mayo side.

;D ;D

rrhf

magpie seanie

James Horan did a great job with Mayo. He got the absolute limit out of the players at his disposal. The guy who follows will have a serious act to live up to.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Syferus on August 31, 2014, 02:11:13 PM
Lads saying Mayo were rock bottom in 2010 or Dublin in 2009 have lead a very sheltered life supporting their counties. Try watching your team play D4 football first before you reminisce about the bad old days.

We've never been in D4 so we know nothing about that, 2010 was the bad old days for Mayo, along with 1995 where we got relegated for our one season to D3. Before that it was the 70's

JH has done a huge service to Mayo, can have no fault with him
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

rosnarun

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 01, 2014, 11:56:07 AM
James Horan did a great job with Mayo. He got the absolute limit out of the players at his disposal. The guy who follows will have a serious act to live up to.

with out say a word against JH would not totally agree with that .
he got ythe best out of the players he picked , but I always though that he was willing to sacrifice   pure talent  for hard work and a willingness to do things the Horan Way .
he was a man with a plan and it worked very well for him , he got us to the stage that no matter who Mayo played they went into the match with a resonable belief that they could /would win and big chavge from the 'waving at the crowd days'
it give an new manager a lot of leeway to bring in a lot of Talented players that Horan Choose not to use
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

seafoid

Bit of a disappointing end for Horan. I think I'll associate him in future with Anthony Cunningham. Got to the final in 2012 but couldn't close the deal. Nothing afterwards either. Hard to turn Mayo into a smash and grab outfit. Same with the Galway hurlers. They need a few goes and that's not easy these days.

Donegal meanwhile could have 3 all Irelands by the end of the month. Same as Mayo. How do they do it ? 

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Lar Naparka

I've great respect for James Horan and I appreciate all he has done for Mayo.
To win 4 Connachts, and get to 4 semis with two AI appearances, after the mess Mayo football was in when he took on the gig was a magnificent achievement.
He has left a very fine squad behind him and I hope his successor will be able to drive on from there.
However, I don't have unqualified respect for his managerial qualities.
He had serious flaws in his make up and ultimately this led to Kerry getting through to the AI this year  and Mayo being left with memories of what might have been.
He left Cafferkey on Donaghy for almost the entire game with disastrous results when all the world could see that there was  going to be only one winner there. Ultimately, Donaghy was the decisive factor.
What Horan might have done to curb his activities is open to debate but the fact is that he did nothing to limit the damage the big hoor  was causing. This wasn't a one-off mistake either, it  happened many times in the past. Undoubtedly, he did much for Mayo football and he's leaving it in a far better state than he found it but his lack of tactical nous was his, and Mayo's, downfall.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

blast05

Quote from: seafoid on September 01, 2014, 01:44:33 PM
Bit of a disappointing end for Horan. I think I'll associate him in future with Anthony Cunningham. Got to the final in 2012 but couldn't close the deal. Nothing afterwards either. Hard to turn Mayo into a smash and grab outfit. Same with the Galway hurlers. They need a few goes and that's not easy these days.

Donegal meanwhile could have 3 all Irelands by the end of the month. Same as Mayo. How do they do it ? 

In fairness Seafoid, there is a world of difference between being a 1-season half success versus delivering incremental improvement year on year (yes, i believe Mayo are a better team this year than last and year before etc). Quite insulting to the man imho to compare him with Cunningham

seafoid

Quote from: blast05 on September 01, 2014, 04:52:37 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 01, 2014, 01:44:33 PM

In fairness Seafoid, there is a world of difference between being a 1-season half success versus delivering incremental improvement year on year (yes, i believe Mayo are a better team this year than last and year before etc). Quite insulting to the man imho to compare him with Cunningham
Also tactical issues.
At the end of the day Blast there were 2 Connacht teams in the AIF in 2012 and neither won.
Horan went close the year after. But didn't win either.
That style of county team (Mayo and Galway hurlers) need something different. Something to do the job on the first attempt.   
He probably is better than Cunningham but it's the same end result. IMO.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

moysider

Even though Horan didn't quite get there he was a damn sight better than anybody before him. He has raised the bar considerably for what will be required in the future from managers and players. 
I wouldn't be giving up on this team just yet. A new perspective and a bit of freshening up and 2015 could be better again. Lads like Patrick Durkin and Adam Gallagher need to be given plenty of league games. Likes of Andy still has a part to play.

The right manager now is critical. McStay threw his hat into the ring on Sunday Game. His go at Cormac Reilly was for the benefit of Mayo fans I thought. Well a biteen maybe.
If he gets it he ll probably have Lord Liam along. We could nearly have our own tv channel ;D
I d like to see likes of Buckley kept on though but it would be unlikely.

Syferus

Hopefully Johheen Evans is romancing his county man Buckley as we speak. Imagine all that inside info.

Mac2

Quote from: moysider on September 01, 2014, 06:38:35 PM
Even though Horan didn't quite get there he was a damn sight better than anybody before him. He has raised the bar considerably for what will be required in the future from managers and players. 
I wouldn't be giving up on this team just yet. A new perspective and a bit of freshening up and 2015 could be better again. Lads like Patrick Durkin and Adam Gallagher need to be given plenty of league games. Likes of Andy still has a part to play.

The right manager now is critical. McStay threw his hat into the ring on Sunday Game. His go at Cormac Reilly was for the benefit of Mayo fans I thought. Well a biteen maybe.
If he gets it he ll probably have Lord Liam along. We could nearly have our own tv channel ;D
I d like to see likes of Buckley kept on though but it would be unlikely.
He could do with the likes of Noel Connelly to bring a bit of defensive perspective to the team something we badly need. I dunno about Buckley for a fella that was involved with Kerry and Donaghy you would've thought he'd have something to add re: curbing him, obviously not or he was ignored which I doubt.

maigheo

Sounds like McStay has pulled back from looking for the Mayo job and says that if he has any doubts about not being able to give 100 percent he will not take it if he is offered the job.