A very handy site for translating name into Irish for Team sheets etc

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 06, 2007, 09:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh4SamAgain

http://www.hoganstand.com/general/identity/names.htm

Safe this link to favorites and you will be able to get all names in Irish for the club team sheets etc etc etc. This is very handy for anybody whos manager of a team.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

Guillem2

This actually is handy. Thank you Armagh4SamAgain. A useful contribution for once.

There is a lad from Poland tunring out with my club - Poleski - his name isn't listed. There's a couple of others from Eastern Europe who train and may make the squad in future.
Could St John's lodge an objection after we beat them in a championship match on the grounds that the team sheet wasn't in Irish? According to the rule book they could. Knowing the Johnnies they will!!
What can we do?

Do the Poles have to chance their names by de-Pole to play GAA?
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

amallon

Fantastic Armagh4SamAgain this will save me a load of hassle today.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Gnevin

Quote from: Guillem2 on April 06, 2007, 09:20:54 AM
This actually is handy. Thank you Armagh4SamAgain. A useful contribution for once.

There is a lad from Poland tunring out with my club - Poleski - his name isn't listed. There's a couple of others from Eastern Europe who train and may make the squad in future.
Could St John's lodge an objection after we beat them in a championship match on the grounds that the team sheet wasn't in Irish? According to the rule book they could. Knowing the Johnnies they will!!
What can we do?

Do the Poles have to chance their names by de-Pole to play GAA?
Just throw a couple of fada's and  o's and mc's  here and their  and it will be grand   
Póléskí ó  Trúegáel. Who could disagree with that.

On a more serious note , i think its time to get rid of this stupid rule i don't have an Irish name its a stupid concept maybe as well ask my French or Russian name . If the IFA asked someone with an Irish name what your english their would be murder .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

magpie seanie

There's nothing wrong with using the Irish versions of names. Nothing at all.

If you have a lad with a foreign name I just stick it down as it is. Don't be getting your knickers in a twist.

That site is very good. I discovered it about two years ago and it has been a huge help.

rosnarun

fecking munster Irish. cant even spell my firname right.
But i think the point is the way you spell your name is your own businesss and the fashon now even amonst gaelgoeri is to Translate everything else apart from a persons name in particular your first name as it your own precious name. beside i dont think a match was ever lost because of an incorrect translation as there is now definite spelling of names not can there be as we have 3 distinct dialects two wrong and one connacht
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Gnevin

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 06, 2007, 10:00:27 AM
There's nothing wrong with using the Irish versions of names. Nothing at all.

If you have a lad with a foreign name I just stick it down as it is. Don't be getting your knickers in a twist.

That site is very good. I discovered it about two years ago and it has been a huge help.
Nothing except its pointless , its no more my name than a french version so why have it? I don't see the GAA putting the english versions of Irish names
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Aristotle Flynn

It may be pointless but it's still in the GAA rule book so for that reason Armagh4Sam is right - this is a very handy site. Thank you sir!
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Goats Do Shave

The GAA exists to promote Irish Culture & games.

It can't be a bad thing to know how your name was once spelled!?

Gnevin

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on April 06, 2007, 10:45:54 AM
The GAA exists to promote Irish Culture & games.

It can't be a bad thing to know how your name was once spelled!?
Because its not my name , seriously what the point in these made up translations that differ from program to program ?

Fionntamhnach

A4S in half decent post shocker!

As it stands, my own surname doesn't have a direct Irish translation - instead a similar phonetically sounding English surname is often used and then the Irish translation is used for that. The unfortunate thing is that I end up, depending on who's doing it, with several different surnames!

On a point of note, team sheets for Ladies Gaelic Football are filled in using English names, though Irish I believe can be used.

Gnevin

Quote from: Naomh Éanna on April 06, 2007, 11:34:27 AM
children lov to see their name in irish on the team sheet particularly if your name is justin etc
Jesus the ipod generation are easily impress

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Armagh4SamAgain on April 06, 2007, 09:05:19 AM
http://www.hoganstand.com/general/identity/names.htm

Safe this link to favorites and you will be able to get all names in Irish for the club team sheets etc etc etc. This is very handy for anybody whos manager of a team.

They have my surname spelt wrong in Irish.

Or at least their version of it is.

magpie seanie

Same with my surname. I spell it the way my Dad and his Dad spelt it and I'm not changing it.

Some people may think its worthless but I think anything that encourages usage of Irish is to be supported, especially by the GAA.

5 Sams

My own opinion is that it is a shite rule.
It does nothing to promote the Irish language because as everyone knows mentors just stick a fada over a few letters (usually consonants  ???)and put in an O at the beginning. Very few teams sheets would be completed using the Irish form of common names.

Todays multicultural environment means that that this rule should be done away with.
The Aristocrat Years