Tyrone 2014

Started by ONeill, August 27, 2013, 07:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

1: Get Morgan back. We need to stop the lad playing outfield for Edendork, horrible thing to say but it will only lead to more injuries and problems and for the good of Tyrone football he needs to be in the safety of the penalty area. Would be a big sacrifice for Edendork but a huge boost for Tyrone, knowing they have a full-time top goalie to rely on.

2: Address the man-marking role. A hell of alot tougher than simply scouring the county and finding one under the Rock. If we had such a stand-out candidate ye'd see him in the panel, at least. Cathal is not it, though may possibly hold down the other corner-back role on a poorer CF. Carlin, McCrory, PJ Quinn have all demonstrated they aren't the man for it either and could all but be disregarded. McKenna looks promising in this role, should give him a shot at it. Sad to see that the Pickering/ Finbarr McQuaids haven't come through and if we're all to be honest not one of us could name a bang-on cert to be our next great white hope in defence.

3. I think Clarke is good enough to be the starting full-back. Harte keeps pushing him up the pitch though, dunno why.

4: We could thatch roofs with all the half-back options we have. It's time to stop f**king about and nail down men in positions. Ricey, Davy, Jordan owned these shirts for the best of our recent history. Either P Harte or Matty need to take ownership of the 6 shirt and direct this team from the back. At this time Petey looks the likely successor but I fear for him. He has (and always did have) a blatant disregard for his own well-being when being on a sports pitch, I mean he could have excelled in 1 of a 100 sports such is his tenacity and endeavor. But it's gonna leave him in a perpetual cycle of injury, I fear. That's just my opinion and I'm more likely wrong than right but it's just a worry I have.

5: Colm (apart from the yapping) did well the last day. If you took a newbie to Croker and asked him to pick the better midfielder of the two he'd have said Colm. Not a monster in the air but works very hard and runs hard. If he doesn't have his now customary shite league next year he could become a top player for us.

6: We have loads of options up front but no continuity or ball-winners. SON if we are honest is not up to it anymore, he (barring a Lazurus return to form) shouldn't continue to be a starter. WE need a FF who can hold the ball, a fulcrum in attack, someone big and strong if not the most talented. What of Coney? He's skilled enough but will he fight for dirty ball, is he strong enough? We are looking for our Alan Freeman, Mick Murphy, Colm O'Neill, B Brogan.

We have plenty of young talent to add to the forwards, Shay, Richie Donnelly, Tommy Cavanan, Sludden but its all for nothing if we don't have a ball-winner in there. I don't know about Ronan if he'll make it. He looked a superstar among minors and schoolboys but this is the top level and he's facing real men in defence, I don't know if he has the physicality.

McCurry impresses in fits and starts. Can miss whole patches of games. McAliskey had an excellent league, looked like a top forward in the making to me. He fell out of favour with Harte but I still count him as good an player as McCurry and a more likely prospect than O'Neill.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

redcard

1 John Devine
2 Ricey
3 Cormac
4 Ciaran Gourley
5 Davy
6 Gavin Devlin
7 Jordan
8 Hub
9 Enda
10 Dooher
11 Brian McGuigan
12 Collie Mc Cullagh
13 Mugsy
14 Canavan
15 Ger Cavlan/tommy McGuigan

Took a while for these guys to come through. Have we really replaced any of them yet?

BennyHarp

We can pick the nucleus of the team from the players who are under 24 and already there;
Niall Morgan, Ryan McKenna, Conor Clarke, Ronan McNabb, Ronan McNamee, Darren McCurry, Conor McAliskey, Matty Donnelly, Ronan O'Neill and Kyle Coney.

I'd return Big Sean to 14 and spend the next few months scouring the county championships for a big hallion for midfield. We have enough ball players to support a man whose sole job is to win the aerial battle. I've played on teams with midfielders who werent allowed to kick the ball, just win it and move to a runner who had better feet. I'm not saying that would happen at county level but we don't need a midfielder that does everything, we just want a lad who won't be bullied and enables us to vary our kick outs, making us less predictable. What's that big Rony O'Neill lad from Derrytresk like? Haven't seen enough of him but is he worth a trial?

Sean at 14 gives us more options up front and also gives us the ability to play the ball long and varied. I'd try Kyle at 11. Good from distance and can pick a pass. Stevie could still do a job but I'd like to see him as an impact sub, someone to turn a game and lift the team and crowd.

We are still struggling with a man marker - I think that's a job for the development squads as its not a problem that we can solve anytime soon as there is no stand out candidates as far as I can see (possiblity McKenna but its not his natural game) but if we can dominate games more at midfield perhaps we can take a bit of pressure off the back line.

There's enough talent in the current squad to be competitive, we just need a few payers in key areas to turn us into champions again. The build up for 2014 starts now!
That was never a square ball!!

rodney trotter

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 27, 2013, 11:36:03 PM
We can pick the nucleus of the team from the following players who are under 24 and already there;
Niall Morgan, Ryan McKenna, Conor Clarke, Ronan McNabb, Ronan McNamee, Darren McCurry, Conor McAliskey, Matty Donnelly, Ronan O'Neill and Kyle Coney.

I'd return Big Sean to 14 and spend the next few months scouring the county championships for a big hallion for midfield. We have enough ball players to support a man whose sole job is to win the aerial battle. I've played on teams with midfielders who werent allowed to kick the ball, just win it and move to a runner who had better feet. I'm not saying that would happen at county level but we don't need a midfielder that does everything, we just want a lad who won't be bullied and enables us to vary our kick outs, making us less predictable. What's that big Rony O'Neill lad from Derrytresk like? Haven't seen enough of him but is he worth a trial?

Sean at 14 gives us more options up front and also gives us the ability to play the ball long and varied. I'd try Kyle at 11. Good from distance and can pick a pass. Stevie could still do a job but I'd like to see him as an impact sub, someone to turn a game and lift the team and crowd.

We are still struggling with a man marker - I think that's a job for the development squads as its not a problem that we can solve anytime soon as there is no stand out candidates as far as I can see (possiblity McKenna but its not his natural game) but if we can dominate games more at midfield perhaps we can take a bit of pressure off the back line.

There's enough talent in the current squad to be competitive, we just need a few payers in key areas to turn us into champions again. The build up for 2014 starts now!

Ha.. Gaaboard be warned.. 1000 pages coming up

ONeill

Quote from: trileacman on August 27, 2013, 11:11:39 PM
1: Get Morgan back. We need to stop the lad playing outfield for Edendork, horrible thing to say but it will only lead to more injuries and problems and for the good of Tyrone football he needs to be in the safety of the penalty area. Would be a big sacrifice for Edendork but a huge boost for Tyrone, knowing they have a full-time top goalie to rely on.

2: Address the man-marking role. A hell of alot tougher than simply scouring the county and finding one under the Rock. If we had such a stand-out candidate ye'd see him in the panel, at least. Cathal is not it, though may possibly hold down the other corner-back role on a poorer CF. Carlin, McCrory, PJ Quinn have all demonstrated they aren't the man for it either and could all but be disregarded. McKenna looks promising in this role, should give him a shot at it. Sad to see that the Pickering/ Finbarr McQuaids haven't come through and if we're all to be honest not one of us could name a bang-on cert to be our next great white hope in defence.

3. I think Clarke is good enough to be the starting full-back. Harte keeps pushing him up the pitch though, dunno why.

4: We could thatch roofs with all the half-back options we have. It's time to stop f**king about and nail down men in positions. Ricey, Davy, Jordan owned these shirts for the best of our recent history. Either P Harte or Matty need to take ownership of the 6 shirt and direct this team from the back. At this time Petey looks the likely successor but I fear for him. He has (and always did have) a blatant disregard for his own well-being when being on a sports pitch, I mean he could have excelled in 1 of a 100 sports such is his tenacity and endeavor. But it's gonna leave him in a perpetual cycle of injury, I fear. That's just my opinion and I'm more likely wrong than right but it's just a worry I have.

5: Colm (apart from the yapping) did well the last day. If you took a newbie to Croker and asked him to pick the better midfielder of the two he'd have said Colm. Not a monster in the air but works very hard and runs hard. If he doesn't have his now customary shite league next year he could become a top player for us.

6: We have loads of options up front but no continuity or ball-winners. SON if we are honest is not up to it anymore, he (barring a Lazurus return to form) shouldn't continue to be a starter. WE need a FF who can hold the ball, a fulcrum in attack, someone big and strong if not the most talented. What of Coney? He's skilled enough but will he fight for dirty ball, is he strong enough? We are looking for our Alan Freeman, Mick Murphy, Colm O'Neill, B Brogan.

We have plenty of young talent to add to the forwards, Shay, Richie Donnelly, Tommy Cavanan, Sludden but its all for nothing if we don't have a ball-winner in there. I don't know about Ronan if he'll make it. He looked a superstar among minors and schoolboys but this is the top level and he's facing real men in defence, I don't know if he has the physicality.

McCurry impresses in fits and starts. Can miss whole patches of games. McAliskey had an excellent league, looked like a top forward in the making to me. He fell out of favour with Harte but I still count him as good an player as McCurry and a more likely prospect than O'Neill.

1 - Can't agree with that at all. Firstly, Edendork comes first and secondly perhaps it's his outfield play that makes him the skilled keeper he is.

2. McNabb, Sludden. McCarron actually played well on Sunday, nicking the ball from his opponent by just getting a glove on it as it came in. Was impressed by his development this year.

3. Clarke could play FF. Wouldnt surprised me. The goal chance he created v Monaghan was something we've missed.

5. Colm - worked hard but some things you cannot change. He was responsible for that penalty in my book. He took Joe McMahon out just as Joe was about to stop the Mayo man in possession way out, through clumsiness. A fit Cassidy for me. What's up with Niall McKenna?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Walter Cronc

I just can't get my head around the continued belief that Coney and O'Neill are the answer!! Neither lad has played a full season of senior football. For me Mc Aliskey is a superb talent and was poorly treated by Harte this year, beginning in the Donegal game.

The elephant in the room has been the lack of success at U21 level. Cork, Dublin and Donegal have shown it as a great springboard for senior success!! I couldn't believe it when I heard Colm Cavanagh is the only player from the 2004 minor winning side playing senior football. Mc Carron was a sub that day!

omagh_gael

I really hope Conor Gormley doesn't hang the boots up. He has been utterly immense this year.

The coaching setups we have at all age groups are a credit, however (and I am no expert), sometimes we appear over coached. We rarely see off the cuff football and our goal scoring return, as well as clear cut goal chances, was very poor this summer.

Don't agree with S Cav at FF. He is at his best getting the ball in space and running at the opposition. If he was in FF for the Meath and Monaghan games we'd have been beat.

Must be incredibly frustrating for lads like R O'Neil coming in at the minute. There is an expectation of him to maintain his form from minor years yet you could count on one hand the number of half decent balls he has received in the FF line. Really hope himself and Kyle get a good run in thr league next year.

rodney trotter

Would ye expect Ray Mulgrew to be involved next year? How has he been playing with his club, since he came back from Oz. He was a gem of a player.

BennyHarp

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 28, 2013, 12:06:06 AM
I really hope Conor Gormley doesn't hang the boots up. He has been utterly immense this year.

The coaching setups we have at all age groups are a credit, however (and I am no expert), sometimes we appear over coached. We rarely see off the cuff football and our goal scoring return, as well as clear cut goal chances, was very poor this summer.

Don't agree with S Cav at FF. He is at his best getting the ball in space and running at the opposition. If he was in FF for the Meath and Monaghan games we'd have been beat.

Must be incredibly frustrating for lads like R O'Neil coming in at the minute. There is an expectation of him to maintain his form from minor years yet you could count on one hand the number of half decent balls he has received in the FF line. Really hope himself and Kyle get a good run in thr league next year.

I agree it may not be Sean's favourite position but it might be what the team needs - remember he did win player of the year from full forward in 2008 and as he gets older maybe the rigours of midfield may not suit.
That was never a square ball!!

barelegs

Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 28, 2013, 12:05:09 AM
I just can't get my head around the continued belief that Coney and O'Neill are the answer!! Neither lad has played a full season of senior football. For me Mc Aliskey is a superb talent and was poorly treated by Harte this year, beginning in the Donegal game.

The elephant in the room has been the lack of success at U21 level. Cork, Dublin and Donegal have shown it as a great springboard for senior success!! I couldn't believe it when I heard Colm Cavanagh is the only player from the 2004 minor winning side playing senior football. Mc Carron was a sub that day!

Aidan Cassidy was on that team as well. That team came along at a bad time. Most of the lads never really got a chance at it because the players were already in place. Some of them were good enough footballers just probably hadn't the pace for senior inter county football. I'd still be of the opinion that Shane O'Hagan would be worth go for Tyrone around the middle. Always reminded me a bit of Hub

I was just doing a bit of counting there and Tyrone have given 15 players championship debuts over the past 2 years. Now some of those games might have been Offaly or Roscommon but it just goes to show the number of players that have been introduced. We're still at the start of a cycle. I'd be hoping to see more improvement next year.

It used to be you had to be in the panel a year before Mickey would have given you a start. This time last year McKenna, McAliskey and McGinley weren't in the squad.

It's a real pity young Sludden broke his leg, he was in my eyes the most composed player on the 2010 minor team. If Grugan can translate the kind of performances he put in for Omagh against Clonoe last year in the championship into the intercounty game then he'd be a revelation

Syferus

Quote from: barelegs on August 28, 2013, 12:30:42 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 28, 2013, 12:05:09 AM

Aidan Cassidy was on that team as well. That team came along at a bad time. Most of the lads never really got a chance at it because the players were already in place. Some of them were good enough footballers just probably hadn't the pace for senior inter county football. I'd still be of the opinion that Shane O'Hagan would be worth go for Tyrone around the middle. Always reminded me a bit of Hub

I was just doing a bit of counting there and Tyrone have given 15 players championship debuts over the past 2 years. Now some of those games might have been Offaly or Roscommon but it just goes to show the number of players that have been introduced. We're still at the start of a cycle. I'd be hoping to see more improvement next year.

It used to be you had to be in the panel a year before Mickey would have given you a start. This time last year McKenna, McAliskey and McGinley weren't in the squad.

It's a real pity young Sludden broke his leg, he was in my eyes the most composed player on the 2010 minor team. If Grugan can translate the kind of performances he put in for Omagh against Clonoe last year in the championship into the intercounty game then he'd be a revelation

Lads, you're not much better than a Meath or Roscommon and your latest raft of retirements are only likely to weaken ye further. Tyrone feel a lot like Laois on steroids moving forward. It's not bleak but it could be quite muggy.

I thought last year Tyrone could grow into a contender but even despite a good year it was the old reliables - Gormley, Joe Mc, SON (in the league) and Sean Cavanagh that did the dragging. Only Mattie Donnelly outside of those really did much to mark himself out.

Lots of work to do mould those pieces into a contender but with decent underage teams still being produced it's hard to say there isn't hope.

rrhf

Quote from: ONeill on August 27, 2013, 11:57:02 PM
Quote from: trileacman on August 27, 2013, 11:11:39 PM

1 - Can't agree with that at all. Firstly, Edendork comes first and secondly perhaps it's his outfield play that makes him the skilled keeper he is.

2. McNabb, Sludden. McCarron actually played well on Sunday, nicking the ball from his opponent by just getting a glove on it as it came in. Was impressed by his development this year.

3. Clarke could play FF. Wouldnt surprised me. The goal chance he created v Monaghan was something we've missed.

5. Colm - worked hard but some things you cannot change. He was responsible for that penalty in my book. He took Joe McMahon out just as Joe was about to stop the Mayo man in possession way out, through clumsiness. A fit Cassidy for me. What's up with Niall McKenna?
Playing exceptionally well these days and scoring too.  Whilst Colm had a good game in fairness he was due one.  He is always capable of madness and his pass to Petie Harte caused the lad to get clotheslined, poor execution of skill cost Tyrone one of their key players.  He should not be strting for Tyrone if they had a half decent team.   

tc_manchester

The major problem for me is still the style of play. It was noticable that once Stephen O'Neill went off on Sunday the mayo backs started to bomb forward. His lack of mobility meant that we had a half forward in position which stopped the opposition's half forwards from bombing forward. Bringing the half forwards back just invites the half backs onto you and leaves whatever full forward(s) you have totally isolated. We need to play a style of football which keeps the oppositions half backs honest. We don't really know how good McCurry, O'neill, McAliskey, Coney can be since we don't play a style of football that will give them an advantage

supersarsfields

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 28, 2013, 12:10:27 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on August 28, 2013, 12:06:06 AM

I agree it may not be Sean's favourite position but it might be what the team needs - remember he did win player of the year from full forward in 2008 and as he gets older maybe the rigours of midfield may not suit.

One thing you need to remember in the clamour for moving Sean to FF, is that it can be a lot easier for opponnts to take him out of the game by double marking him. SON is by a long way still our best scoring option, and he has been double and even at one stage triple marked. Putting Sean Cavanagh in there restricts the amount he'll get on the ball. And in my opinion will make him easier marked.

nrico2006

Quote from: tc_manchester on August 28, 2013, 11:01:54 AM
The major problem for me is still the style of play. It was noticable that once Stephen O'Neill went off on Sunday the mayo backs started to bomb forward. His lack of mobility meant that we had a half forward in position which stopped the opposition's half forwards from bombing forward. Bringing the half forwards back just invites the half backs onto you and leaves whatever full forward(s) you have totally isolated. We need to play a style of football which keeps the oppositions half backs honest. We don't really know how good McCurry, O'neill, McAliskey, Coney can be since we don't play a style of football that will give them an advantage

Nail on the head. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'