Laois v Meath

Started by Dinny Breen, July 22, 2012, 05:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agorm

Quote from: Bud Wiser on July 30, 2012, 10:06:41 PM
QuoteThe Dubs are two of the remaining footballing counties left, they're so good.

I'll repost for you so as you are a newbie. I type as I talk, sorry.  What I was saying is that Dublin, when they play attacking football are watchable, easy on the eye so to speak.  Probably what I should have said was, "and in fairness to the Dub's,  Dublin, Kildare, Laois and Galway are the only football counties now, the rest is basketball"  Meath beat themselves playing the Shaquill O'Neill game against Dublin and now it seems they, Dublin, are unbeatable -

Until Saturday that is when Cluxton gets frustrated with the ball going over his head every five or six minutes and starts taking short kickouts with the swagger of David Beckham to take the two best midfielders in gaelic football out of the equation and the whole foooking basketball thingy starts all over again.  Jeeze, can't wait to see Clancy pointing at the scoreboard with five minutes left.

What has him being a "newbie" got to do with it? Are you saying that his command of the english language might not be as good as yours? Or are you looking to give a dig and couldnt come up with anything better?

squire_in_navy_slacks

QuoteThe Dubs are two of the remaining footballing counties left, they're so good.

I'll repost for you so as you are a newbie. I type as I talk, sorry.  What I was saying is that Dublin, when they play attacking football are watchable, easy on the eye so to speak.  Probably what I should have said was, "and in fairness to the Dub's,  Dublin, Kildare, Laois and Galway are the only football counties now, the rest is basketball"  Meath beat themselves playing the Shaquill O'Neill game against Dublin and now it seems they, Dublin, are unbeatable -

Until Saturday that is when Cluxton gets frustrated with the ball going over his head every five or six minutes and starts taking short kickouts with the swagger of David Beckham to take the two best midfielders in gaelic football out of the equation and the whole foooking basketball thingy starts all over again.  Jeeze, can't wait to see Clancy pointing at the scoreboard with five minutes left.

This is just ridiculous............................are ya pissed on C Parkinsons farts or something

heffo

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 31, 2012, 08:11:42 PM

This is just ridiculous............................are ya pissed on C Parkinsons farts or something

Easy squire, your sarcasm-omoter must be broken

squire_in_navy_slacks

Spot on Heffo, I should have engaged the brain before I jumped in there.....................an oul eamo fennell moment  ;)

laoislad

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 31, 2012, 09:11:53 PM
Spot on Heffo, I should have engaged the brain before I jumped there.

That will be the effects of the methadone....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: laoislad on July 31, 2012, 09:19:56 PM

Unreal, just unreal

Flutehook

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 31, 2012, 09:25:23 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 31, 2012, 09:19:56 PM

Unreal, just unreal

Indeed Squire; that Laois gear is deadly altogether.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRoRrU1BxAs

seafoid

Quote from: Ard-RĂ­ on July 31, 2012, 06:34:33 PM

It's funny, I've been on this board about a year, and I'm still a newbie, whereas on other boards with high membership turnover, a year is a very long time indeed to have been around. I guess it just goes to show the longevity of the community here. Anyway, I digress.

I'm all for the catch and kick philosophy, but at the minute the arguments for are being taken to extreme lengths. That is of course, in direct response to the extreme "basketball" philosophy in practice throughout Ireland at the minute. My point being, a moderate solution encompassing both styles is the only natural way to play, and, I would argue, is the way we have always played here in Meath. Relatively recently Banty moved us to a more handpass based play style, which has obviously not been the most successful. But then again, there were mitigating factors in that outcome. It is still a pretty moderate style. Now, to link back with my first statement, I feel it an extreme view to criticise Meath for not kickpassing enough against Laois for example, when the conditions made kicking a near certainty for losing possession, at least in the first half. The are very few "basketball" counties, most counties have moderate styles which move more or less one way or the other depending on the opposition and the conditions. As you say, Cluxton will change the style for Dublin when things are not working out. I don't see that as a necessarily bad thing for Gaelic Football, in fact, it adds a tactical element that is not so obviously present in the one style or the other attitude.
Is it not moving in the direction of rugby league ?