Meath vs Kildare 1st July 12 Croke Park

Started by squire_in_navy_slacks, June 17, 2012, 07:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 03, 2012, 04:19:44 PMMind you I did see Westmeath and Offaly play a horror show, bastardised attempt at aping these systems a few years ago, and that was as close as you can get to these terms being applicable in our game. Westmeath strung at least 7 lads in a straight line along their half back line, and Offaly, to counter it, did EXACTLY the same. It was bizarre. Offaly would get it, pass sideways, and run into the line like a poor man's Crimean War charge of the light brigade. Into the valley of death soloed the 4 half forwards.

They'd be dispossessed, and Westmeath would run at Offaly in precisely the same way, normally with the same result. Westmeath had a bit of Class with Dessie on the day that made the difference, but other than that it was like these battle re-enactment societies doing a multicoloured staging of the Battle of the Somme. Over the top lads!!! peeeeeeep!!!

Ah it was a bit more sophisticated than that. It's true to say we dropped back our half forwards and looked to suck the tackler in but once we broke the ball/forced the over carry the two wing backs, Natchie & Healy, took off. Like Donegal this year our pace on the break was key. It was no coincidence that both notched points and goals throughout that year as once they got away from their "markers" they couldn't be caught. Dessie notched a couple of outrageous points that day but I don't think he was the difference, IMO that result was never in doubt. Westmeath had worked hard on their system during a successful league campaign wheras Offaly looked to ape it for one game only, they were never gonna make up the experience difference. I do like the flowery description though.  ;D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

QuoteWestmeath had worked hard on their system during a successful league campaign wheras Offaly looked to ape it for one game only, they were never gonna make up the experience difference.

Absolutely. But on the day itself, because Offaly tried to ape it the spectacle was even worse than normally was the case in those blanket defenses. And Dessie did make the difference, he got Shane Sullivan sent off. :D

Shane liked the experience so much he has continued to get early baths on a regular basis since then.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AQMP on July 03, 2012, 05:26:47 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 03, 2012, 04:42:36 PM
Good stuff, AZ.  Well described. A few good laughs here today. You'd nearly forget it was still Winter.

How long before someone describes farting about handpassing in midfield as making "the hard yards"

Or how long before we hear "the ball up the jersey" as the attacking team "recycle the ball for 2nd phase possession"?

Dinny Breen

Bit of an angry man is your Shane, was up to some interesting things on O'Connor a few weeks ago...
#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2012, 12:09:51 PM
But on the day itself, because Offaly tried to ape it the spectacle was even worse than normally was the case in those blanket defenses.

Was a fine spectacle from where I was sitting.  :P Remind me on the Sullivan sending off?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 05, 2012, 12:12:08 PM
Bit of an angry man is your Shane, was up to some interesting things on O'Connor a few weeks ago...

Absolutely, he has a discipline problem. It's unfortunate because he had/has potential, but he simply lets himself and us down with discipline issues.

QuoteWas a fine spectacle from where I was sitting.  :P Remind me on the Sullivan sending off?

He very accidentally glanced off Dessie over in front of the stand. The large Westmeath crowd there in the stand went bananas and Shane got the showers to himself. PS. The previous two sentences may be downplayed slightly to protect the guilty.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2012, 01:19:47 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 05, 2012, 12:12:08 PM

Absolutely, he has a discipline problem. It's unfortunate because he had/has potential, but he simply lets himself and us down with discipline issues.

QuoteWas a fine spectacle from where I was sitting.  :P Remind me on the Sullivan sending off?

He very accidentally glanced off Dessie over in front of the stand. The large Westmeath crowd there in the stand went bananas and Shane got the showers to himself. PS. The previous two sentences may be downplayed slightly to protect the guilty.

Ah yes, now I remember, needless "tackle".

AZOffaly

Yep. Not atypical, unfortunately. As I said he has a lot of upside, but he just destroys himself.

Hardy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 05, 2012, 12:11:21 PM
Quote from: AQMP on July 03, 2012, 05:26:47 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 03, 2012, 04:42:36 PM
Good stuff, AZ.  Well described. A few good laughs here today. You'd nearly forget it was still Winter.

How long before someone describes farting about handpassing in midfield as making "the hard yards"

Or how long before we hear "the ball up the jersey" as the attacking team "recycle the ball for 2nd phase possession"?

We're just about there already. I forgot, until you mentioned it, that I heard two separate commentators/analysts at the weekend talking about phases of possession. I'm not certain I remember correctly who they were, so no names, but one said something like that a team (Tyrone, I think) was going through the phases of possession and the other that most scores these days are off the "second phase" of possession. Who'd have believed we'd have to listen to such shite.

Ah feck the "no names" - it was Sidebottom, I'm almost sure, with the "second phase".