Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2012

Started by drici, March 31, 2012, 10:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Dubh driocht on November 18, 2012, 05:26:20 PM
Some result for Kilcoo. For non-Down people, Kilcoo isn't even a cross-roads; it is a church, shop, 2 pubs at either end and a football club. What a club. No hurling, no rugby and definitely no soccer. To get to an Ulster final is some achievement; I suppose the Loup would be a fair comparison- Kilcoo do field 3 senior teams and I reckon there would be very few men between 18 and 40 who haven't played for the club at some stage. Their underage commitment in Down has been the stuff of legend for the last 10 years. Cross are likely to be too strong but the Magpies don't do fear. Fair play to Mc Corry - no time for him but would love to see them do it.

Good result for Kilcoo

I played my first ever adult hurling game in Kilcoo as a 15 year old, changing in the back of a container which doubled up as their changing rooms, must have been mid 80's, they haven't hurled in years, but I think they do field in the camogie now.

Is Big Eoiney McEvoy still about the place? He'd have followed the hurling a good bit.

Milltown Row2

I have never walked away from a game more disappointed than that, the amount of possession we had in that game up till they had a man sent off was unreal. They played like we did a few years ago, when not in possession work like fook to get it back. We overplayed and instead of shooting from distance we took the ball into their defence!!

We had many chances to stretch our 3 point advantage, but the goal came at the right time and we couldn't, despite leveling before the end, of getting back in front. On that showing I am glad we aren't playing Cross. I'm sure the lads are really disappointed with themselves. The 15 lads that started the game should have been good enough to win by 7 points or more.

I was surprised at how much bigger we were to Kilcoo, they are a small outfit, certainly very fit but I still feel we lost this match rather than them winning it, no sour grapes by the way and good luck to them.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

PAULD123

There are quite a few eagerly presumptuous claims on this thread that Cross will have an easy stroll against Kilcoo. I wouldn't be so sure about that. BUT lets be honest - Cross are and deserve to be favourites. There is no doubt that they are a class act and full of quality coupled with valuable experience. But to write off Kilcoo is just plain disrespectful.

Kilcoo have a tenacious physical defence. Cross have a real asset in their full forward line but Kilcoo have their best defence when in their own 20m line. Also remember both Brannigan's are county players, it's not as if Kilcoo have defenders who have never played at a high level. Cross are indeed an attacking force but Kilcoo are more than capable of putting up a difficult task to any attacking unit. Any individual isolated in attack will struggle to score against Kilcoo.

Secondly Kilcoo bring Connor Laverty (All-Ireland finalist and current All-Star nominee) along with a lightening fast half forward line of O'Hanlon, Devlin, Johnston. All these half forwards are good enough to be in the county squad. So again while Cross have excellent defenders it is not as if Kilcoo will be turning up with a bunch of plodders.

Finally Kilcoo will bring a desire and determination that took them past the All-Ireland champions of two years ago, even after they were reduced to 14 men. If you are willing to work hard enough you will always be in with a chance of gaining possession, and if you gain possession then you will always be in with a chance.

Cross certainly have better forwards in attack, certainly have defenders who are more experienced and stronger, certainly have real quality in midfield. And definitely deserve to be favourites. Yes they are better than Kilcoo, but Kilcoo are still good, and in some areas very good. I think some people are being a bit effusive in claiming it will be easy, I think it will be far from easy. Kilcoo are a lot more capable than some people are giving them credit for.

DownFanatic

An aspect to the build up of this game is that Kilcoo in no way, shape or form will fear Crossmaglen in the slightest. Now this may or may not have any bearing on the outcome of the game but any psychological barrier in relation to fearing the Cross machine will be non existent. The Magpies simply don't do fear. Never have, never will. So essentially that is one obstacle that already has been overcome.

However, looking at the rest of the factors everything is pointing to a Cross win. Kilcoo's gamemanship which obviously unsettled St Galls to an extent won't bother Cross in the slightest and McCorry may have to change his team's approach to this. However, it will be interesting to see how Cross respond to Kilcoo's insatiable workrate. The Down side don't stop. They just keep going and going and going. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 19, 2012, 11:59:07 AM
An aspect to the build up of this game is that Kilcoo in no way, shape or form will fear Crossmaglen in the slightest. Now this may or may not have any bearing on the outcome of the game but any psychological barrier in relation to fearing the Cross machine will be non existent. The Magpies simply don't do fear. Never have, never will. So essentially that is one obstacle that already has been overcome.

However, looking at the rest of the factors everything is pointing to a Cross win. Kilcoo's gamemanship which obviously unsettled St Galls to an extent won't bother Cross in the slightest and McCorry may have to change his team's approach to this. However, it will be interesting to see how Cross respond to Kilcoo's insatiable workrate. The Down side don't stop. They just keep going and going and going.

Based on yesterdays match Kilcoo will be struggling to get a score. We were shite for long periods and took the wrong options a lot of the time, Kilcoo in the first half rushed their clearances which fell into our midfielders hands but we kept making the wrong choices (14 wides). I don't think it will take Cross too long to work out what to do with all the possession. I'm still shaking my head on this one.

Kilcoo didn't unsettle us with the pulling we could have won it regardless, we were just not able to push on and win. Fair play Kilcoo

On a different note, Sludden is some size of referee!! Some belly on him!!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Pete

First post on here, very dissapointing result from a St Galls point of view.

Thought Sludden had an awful game, completly favoured Kilcoo in the first half and then did an about turn in the second.

But in fairness the players only have themselves to blame, two very good goal chances squandered in the first half, either one of which I think would have killed the game. Is it fair to say that maybe St Galls fitness levels not what they have been in previous years?

Maurice Moss

Quote from: johnneycool on November 19, 2012, 09:08:13 AM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on November 18, 2012, 05:26:20 PM
Some result for Kilcoo. For non-Down people, Kilcoo isn't even a cross-roads; it is a church, shop, 2 pubs at either end and a football club. What a club. No hurling, no rugby and definitely no soccer. To get to an Ulster final is some achievement; I suppose the Loup would be a fair comparison- Kilcoo do field 3 senior teams and I reckon there would be very few men between 18 and 40 who haven't played for the club at some stage. Their underage commitment in Down has been the stuff of legend for the last 10 years. Cross are likely to be too strong but the Magpies don't do fear. Fair play to Mc Corry - no time for him but would love to see them do it.

Good result for Kilcoo

I played my first ever adult hurling game in Kilcoo as a 15 year old, changing in the back of a container which doubled up as their changing rooms, must have been mid 80's, they haven't hurled in years, but I think they do field in the camogie now.

Is Big Eoiney McEvoy still about the place? He'd have followed the hurling a good bit.

Johnnycool regarding your last question about big Eoiney, he was at the game yesterday and all! An avid Magpies supporter and yes he still follows the hurling with a great interest

yellowcard

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 19, 2012, 11:59:07 AM

There are plenty of teams with a lack of fear but it doesn't mean they are good enough to beat Cross. Personally don't see it with Kilcoo, can't see them troubling Cross at all. McCorry has done a great job to get them to where they are, hard to understand why Mayobridge ever got rid of him?

I hear the game is in the Athletic Grounds as well, don't think it will have any significance to the result.

drici

Sunday 21st October
Preliminary Round:
Mullahoran(Cavan) 1-07   Errigal Ciarán(Tyrone) 4-15   (Breffni Park)

Sunday 4th November
Quarter Finals:
Tempo Maguires(Fermanagh) 0-09  St Galls(Antrim) 1-15   (Brewster Park)

Ballybay Pearse Brothers(Monaghan) 0-07  Kilcoo Eoghan Rua(Down) 0-13   (Clones)

Errigal Ciarán(Tyrone) 0-11  Ballinderry Shamrocks(Derry) 0-10   (Healy Park)

Sunday 11th November
Quarter Final:
Crossmaglen Rangers(Armagh) 3-11  Naomh Adhamhnáin(Donegal) 1-07   (Athletic Grounds)

Sunday 18th November
Semi Finals:
St Galls(Antrim) 0-10  Kilcoo Eoghan Rua(Down) 1-09   (Athletic Grounds)

Crossmaglen Rangers(Armagh) 2-10  Errigal Ciarán(Tyrone) 0-10   (Clones)

Sunday 2nd December
Final:
Crossmaglen Rangers(Armagh) v Kilcoo Eoghan Rua(Down)   (Athletic Grounds)

Farneylawd2011

Is the game been confirmed for the Athletic Grounds ??
In said in Today's Irish News that is was be a Coin toss to decide on the venue to host the final.And is Martin Sludden definitely the ref for the game ???

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: Farneylawd2011 on November 19, 2012, 08:38:06 PM
Is the game been confirmed for the Athletic Grounds ??
In said in Today's Irish News that is was be a Coin toss to decide on the venue to host the final.And is Martin Sludden definitely the ref for the game ???

Yes confirmed for 3pm Sun 2nd Dec in Athletic Grounds

Maurice Moss

Intermediate and Senior games are both being held in Athletic Grounds on December 2nd

UTM

emmetryan

My tactical take on Crossmaglen and Errigal is now up http://action81.com/blog/?p=6461

Apologies for the delay, my flatmate has been particularly kind with the TV of late so figured I'd wait until after he'd finished watching West Ham and Stoke.
writer of the Tactics not Passion series at Action81.com

Applesisapples

Quote from: StGallsGAA on November 18, 2012, 07:45:46 PM
St Galls somehow manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!? I am dumbfounded!

Those Cross boyos never nothing to learn.  Peter Harte, the player of the game in the first have clinically taken out of it by 3 heavy, cardable challenges. Cross really did a job on him and by the end he could barely walk, never mind play  Not nice to see.
A hint of sour grapes I fear. Joe McQuillan gave Errigal a few softish frees, some after Cross had been fouled first. Particularly in the second half when Cross were dominating Errigal got a away with a lot in around the square which would have ben given further out, or at the other end.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 18, 2012, 08:03:10 PM
Petey wasn't a major player at any stage.  He took some knocks which were not cynical and one staved finger when he tackled a man running at him.  The hand injury was his major problem as he couldn't handle the ball even if he managed to get to it.  Once again he was played out of position and wasted the opportunity to play him at 11.

Oisin wasn't MoTM, I think was chosen by the commentary team and whoever was with the commentator was hugely annoying even in Irish and I couldn't understand a word.  The 'pundit' is supposed to add to the commentary not dominate it.  Felt that Stephen Kernan was MoTM because he played in the most decisive balls to the forward line in particular the ball to J Clarke on two occasions leading to goals or near goal chances were brilliant.

Two many main men for Errigal went awol and man for man Errigal was greatly inferior to Cross particularly on the bench where they had no one to make an impact.
errigal also made the mistake of doubling up on Clarke. He'll be some miss for Armagh.