Down v Armagh (Park Esler 16:00) 19/05/2019

Started by illdecide, May 06, 2019, 10:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: bennydorano on May 14, 2019, 06:05:25 PM
This thread gives us a great indicator of the future prospects of the USFC, they're not good. I expect a similar shit show to the last one, toss of a coin to see who wins.

I might try and avoid the score until the deferred coverage starts at 7pm on BBC2. Thats how interested I am these days.

I do that with most games these days. If I don't get to this one, I might just avoid and watch the deferred coverage too. It's not easy sitting through a full match when you already know the score, even if it is your own team

Captain Obvious

Have a feeling Armagh will lose this game and then end up lasting longer in the championship than Down.

LCohen

Our season wouldn't be over if we're beat. That said McGeeney would need a serious run in the qualifiers to cover over a further failure in Ulster.
Down are poor and I fancy us for a reasonably comfortable victory.

The Armagh that plays with confidence and moves the ball quickly is definitely worth watching. When the confidence goes we hold the ball up and shovel it sideways. That isn't worth watching. The way attendances and probably viewing numbers are shaping up the GAA will want the more attractive footballing sides to progress

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on May 14, 2019, 06:05:25 PM
This thread gives us a great indicator of the future prospects of the USFC, they're not good. I expect a similar shit show to the last one, toss of a coin to see who wins.

I might try and avoid the score until the deferred coverage starts at 7pm on BBC2. Thats how interested I am these days.
Real sign of the times for football. Attendances are down due to lack of interest
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Targetman

Having followed Down all year it pains me to say I can't see anything other than an Armagh win, this is possibly the weakest Down team I can remember, our defence isn't bad but we've no midfield and a forward line that doesn't score enough, Armagh aren't great but should have enough to win by 3/4, but you just never know!!

dec

Former Armagh manager Fr Sean Hegarty passed way

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2019/05/14/news/fr-sean-hegarty-a-true-gael-of-great-team-spirit-1619085/

I remember him as Armagh manager and as a priest in our parish.

I heard that when he was away with the Armagh team he could get through a mass in about 10 minutes.

BennyCake

Quote from: LCohen on May 14, 2019, 07:49:54 PM
Our season wouldn't be over if we're beat. That said McGeeney would need a serious run in the qualifiers to cover over a further failure in Ulster.

The Armagh that plays with confidence and moves the ball quickly is definitely worth watching. When the confidence goes we hold the ball up and shovel it sideways. That isn't worth watching. The way attendances and probably viewing numbers are shaping up the GAA will want the more attractive footballing sides to progress

I want us to go all out in Ulster. Beating Sligo or Waterford in the qualifiers means feck all. It's just prolonging the inevitable. If we got a lucky draw and made the Super 8, we'd be slaughtered.

Go out and give Ulster a rattle. Even a final appearance would be an achievement. Anything else is pointless.

twohands!!!

Quote from: seafoid on May 07, 2019, 07:21:54 PM
Armagh should be a few points better than Down but the McGeeney factor means they are fragile .
4 years of losing matches in Ulster is suboptimal.

McGeeney going for his own special five-in-a-row in Ulster.

snoopdog

Quote from: BennyCake on May 14, 2019, 09:28:02 PM
Quote from: LCohen on May 14, 2019, 07:49:54 PM

I want us to go all out in Ulster. Beating Sligo or Waterford in the qualifiers means feck all. It's just prolonging the inevitable. If we got a lucky draw and made the Super 8, we'd be slaughtered.

Go out and give Ulster a rattle. Even a final appearance would be an achievement. Anything else is pointless.
Feeling would.be the same from a Down perspective.

illdecide

Holy f**k, not one person coming on shouting for their team believing their team will pump their rivals...Both sets of supporters are so pessimistic...lol.

I was cautious but feck it, lets go to Newry and (see how i didn't say Down as that old argument most of it's actually in Armagh :)) beat these hoors into submission...C'mon Armagh.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

BennyCake

Quote from: illdecide on May 14, 2019, 11:26:21 PM
Holy f**k, not one person coming on shouting for their team believing their team will pump their rivals...Both sets of supporters are so pessimistic...lol.

I was cautious but feck it, lets go to Newry and (see how i didn't say Down as that old argument most of it's actually in Armagh :)) beat these hoors into submission...C'mon Armagh.

Yeah! Let's lick kick some arse!! :D

tonto1888

Quote from: illdecide on May 14, 2019, 11:26:21 PM

I think we are gonna click on the day and when we do it will be a similar score line to the 1999 final

seafoid

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 14, 2019, 09:34:39 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 07, 2019, 07:21:54 PM
Armagh should be a few points better than Down but the McGeeney factor means they are fragile .
4 years of losing matches in Ulster is suboptimal.

McGeeney going for his own special five-in-a-row in Ulster.
Down might be shite but McGeeney is worth a few points to them
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

PAULD123

Lowest level of belief in any match I have ever seen between these two sides. I haven't seen Armagh, but I've seen Down and there is no way Armagh could be worse than us. Having said that I expect Down to be tight and hold Armagh and frustrate them. I would expect Armagh to gradually pull away in the second half. We have no midfield at all and have shown very little strategy to competing for kick-out ball.

I don't think our players are terrible. If sufficiently organised and working together then I think they could easily challenge Armagh and I would be quite optimistic. But there seems a lack of key strategy - especially midfield but also in moving ball and shooting.

Players seem scared to shoot, it reminds me of 07-09, when no one would shoot and the plan was "get it to Benny". Problem is that this time we have no Benny to get it to.

There appears no strategy to get the ball forward to on-running forwards - the strategy seems just to recycle it backwards over and over until maybe a break opens up by chance.

I have no seen any repetitive patterns of passing (set moves) that Down implement. You would expect to see some repeating patterns of movement when a team is acting as a unit. Instead every attack seems as individual and off-the-cuff as every other.

We don't play as a cohesive organised unit, and as such, rely on individual talent. Our talent s not that high to do that.

Armamike

Would have thought Tally would have Down organised, and set up very well defensively. Would expect to see Down get plenty of bodies back in defence. That in itself will cause this Armagh side a lot of problems. 
That's just, like your opinion man.