?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

lynchbhoy

Quote from: tyroneman on February 20, 2008, 09:51:18 PM
Sooooooooooooo.........................roughly 25% against 75% posession to the away team.

Difference in class enormous tonight but a few things evidently clear:

1. Caldwell is a joke, a bad joke. An arrogant pr*ck of a player who fancies himself as a maestro in defence and in truth is hopeless. Gave ball away for 2nd, sent to the shop for sweeties by Messi for the 3rd. How he gets a game ahead of Balde is astounding."we will batter Barca" he claimed in the Record today...............aye right
2. Tonight should end the McGeady as good as Messi debate.
3. Naka. The SPL equivalent of a special teams player. Was less than useless tonight.
4. Naylor.......................please, a chamiponship player and showing it.

On the plus side Skippy was excellent, worked his ar*e off. Hartley did well enough as did JVoH.

Barca made Celtic look like fools in terms of posession etc, but apart from passing the ball to death, they have problems in the last quarter of the field. With that amount of posession they shoul dbe creating more chances. To be honest, they didn create too many decent clear cut chances. Celtics bad defending from that much maligned (correctly) defense provided them with chances they would not normally get if faced with defenders who can defend (and dont buy obvious dummies, dont dive into tackles etc etc - caldwell the worst culprit).

Scott brown was sorely missed, and in that even of Brown being available again from suspension Barry Robson should have played wing instead of Naka who lacks bite to be a top quality player. Would be great in a team like Barca's though.

As for McGeady /messi. Aiden has a bit to go yet, but as the young Celt terrorised one of the best defenders in Spain/europe, with Messi getting more than a decent helping hand from like minded pass and move players like ronaldiho and deco, I dont think that anyone can say the playing field was fair and McGeady first half was very good with limited posession.

Have always said it, Celtic need TWO decent centre halves - as McManus is a trier, but not a natural cb. Better LB - where MON played him.
Naylor isnt good enough. Caldwell is the Scottish rio. Enough said.

You cant expect to do well if your defense stands off , doesnt tackle hard and allows the other team to dance around them all night untouched. Celtic way too nervous and respectful.

Still a fantastic Barca team. Unless they self implode as happens with them, they look like CL favourites as I hear they have been touted to be last week.

Naka is great against lesser opposition that give you more time on the ball. Barca dont. Naka

corn02

McGeady is having a great season and is surpirsingy me immensley. Fair play to the lad but anoyone who suggest he is in Messi's League should get the Gazza treatment.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 21, 2008, 09:20:53 AM

Have always said it, Celtic need TWO decent centre halves - as McManus is a trier, but not a natural cb. Better LB - where MON played him.

Youve said this before Lynchbhoy but Im afraid McManus never was and never will be a left back. He is good centre back though and just needs a decent partner alongside him. Caldwell is hopeless and shouldnt be playing for Celtic, he wasnt even particularly rated by the Hibs support when he was there.

Celtic were just outclassed last night. They put up a great fight but ultimately they had an St.Johnstone player alongside an ex Forfar player in centre midfield...always going to be up against it.

Rav67

Quote from: corn02 on February 21, 2008, 02:29:22 PM
McGeady is having a great season and is surpirsingy me immensley. Fair play to the lad but anoyone who suggest he is in Messi's League should get the Gazza treatment.

Don't think anyone is saying that, Messi is one of the world's top 3 footballers at the minute an will soon be universally recognised as the best in next few years IMO like Zidane was in his pomp.  McGeady is tremendous though, hopefully he might actually start getting a bit of recognition in Ireland outside of Celtic fans for the player he is.

Agree with LDA - he played there a few times but he's never a left back, you need someone there who can give a bit of width, get forward and cross a ball.  Caldwell thinks he's Franz Beckenbauer sometimes the way he tries to play out from the back, I don't rate him at all if fit I'd play Balde or O'Dea or maybe even Pressley ahead of him.

new devil

Yous boys aren't seriously trying 2 put these two in the same league ???

his holiness nb

Quote from: Rav67 on February 21, 2008, 10:32:40 PM
McGeady is tremendous though, hopefully he might actually start getting a bit of recognition in Ireland outside of Celtic fans for the player he is.

Once he starts producing the celtic form for Ireland I am sure he will. I have seen him get several chances which have ranged from decent to awful. I wouldnt say he has had one outstanding game yet, or anything close to that.

He does have the talent though, only a matter of time IMO.
Ask me holy bollix

Main Street

......Have always said it, Celtic need TWO decent centre halves - as McManus is a trier, but not a natural cb. Better LB - where MON played him.

You cant expect to do well if your defense stands off , doesnt tackle hard and allows the other team to dance around them all night untouched. Celtic way too nervous and respectful.

Still a fantastic Barca team. Unless they self implode as happens with them, they look like CL favourites as I hear they have been touted to be last week.

Naka is great against lesser opposition that give you more time on the ball. Barca dont. Naka
Imo both Naka and McGeady would thrive in a better team.
Most of the time Naka was back defending, supporting the RB. I thought he worked hard but had to play too deep.
The few balls McGeady got, he did well.
It's up to the rest of the team to get their creative players on the ball over the half way line.
The worst ever home CL display?
The defense are technically deficient, closed down with ease, ball hoofed out.
I think it's quite clear that Celtic peaked with last years Milan games, in fact this season they are getting worse.
Strachan's idea of of how he would like them to play doesn't match his coaching ability to do so or in his choice of quality players.

Out of this team, of the first 11 I'd keep Boruc, McGeady, Naka, Scott Brown and JVOH.
There is a ? with Wilson as he is just getting match sharp.
What is an acadamy for if players don't come through it and Celtic just end up buying players who have come through other SPL acadamies.

new devil

Theres not one celtic player who would make any of the top 3 in the premierships team...maybe some of the weaker teams like spurs,liverpool etc but not the top 3!

Whitehair

Boruc would get a game at Arsenal IMO.

Main Street

Quote from: new devil on February 23, 2008, 07:10:43 PM
Theres not one celtic player who would make any of the top 3 in the premierships team...maybe some of the weaker teams like spurs,liverpool etc but not the top 3!
Are you trying to say that no Celtic player would get into any of the top 3 EPL teams?
Apart from Boruc no, so feckin what. ???

But I'd have Naka instead of Giggs:)

clarshack

a poor showing today at st mirren but what another great free kick by naka. if only he could improve in other areas.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on February 21, 2008, 09:52:02 PM
Youve said this before Lynchbhoy but Im afraid McManus never was and never will be a left back. He is good centre back though and just needs a decent partner alongside him. Caldwell is hopeless and shouldnt be playing for Celtic, he wasnt even particularly rated by the Hibs support when he was there.
yes I have said it before, and if he can play LB (as he did very capably for MON teams a number of times then he isnt good enough to start at all  imo.
A decent makeshift centre half, Darren O'Dea is less akward and better at reading the game, but has a long way to go yet before he is good enough.
McManus just isnt what any top team need at centre half. Caldwell isnt even half as good as mcmanus.
Pressley the better centre half, but legs are gone.Balde and a reiper-esque centre half is what Celtic would require

Main Street

Quote from: clarshack on February 24, 2008, 04:49:26 PM
a poor showing today at st mirren but what another great free kick by naka. if only he could improve in other areas.
Which areas do you think Naka could improve in.
Goalkeeping?

I´d concede that  he is a bit of a featherweight.

clarshack

Quote from: Main Street on February 25, 2008, 09:14:23 AM
Quote from: clarshack on February 24, 2008, 04:49:26 PM
Which areas do you think Naka could improve in.
Goalkeeping?

I´d concede that  he is a bit of a featherweight.

when he doesnt have the ball he needs to work harder and start putting in a few tackles.