?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: rafasarmy on September 15, 2007, 04:28:23 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 15, 2007, 04:01:12 PM
Half time Celtic 2-0 up Van the man and Donati the scorers.

Top of the league ma, top of the league.

Wow theres a surprise Celtic are top of the Scottish League and Rangers second....What a competitive league that is ::)

Thats right, ones a league where one of two teams can win the league, whereas the EPL is a great league where one of four teams could win it!! Yawn.
Tbc....

clarshack

Quote from: rafasarmy on September 15, 2007, 04:28:23 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 15, 2007, 04:01:12 PM
Half time Celtic 2-0 up Van the man and Donati the scorers.

Top of the league ma, top of the league.

Wow theres a surprise Celtic are top of the Scottish League and Rangers second....What a competitive league that is ::)

in a every league in europe its the same teams year in year out at the top of their leagues - hence the boring draw this year in the champons league. what the f**k do you want?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

The CL proper starts tonight here we go again for another year and more attempts to win an away leg!
13 matches, 1 draw and 12 defeats away from home, not good stats, hopefully we can change that tonight, no injury worries for WGS, and Shaktar arre missing their captain. But it will be hard going against a team who are top of their league and have spent £40 million on players over the Summer!!
Scott McDonald partnering Jan the Man up front, hopefully the recent league goal fests will be repeated in Europe.

Hail Hail[/size]
Tbc....

Croí na hÉireann

I'd take a draw, although we should be looking to win this... Is it only on feckin Sky tonight???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 18, 2007, 02:14:16 PM
I'd take a draw, although we should be looking to win this... Is it only on feckin Sky tonight???
hear its on sky sports 2

with Celtics poor away CL record, a point wouldnt be a bad result against a team that has won 8 out of 9 league games at the start of this ukranian season

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Agreed, a draw would be a good result away, but this is the one away game I really think we have a chance of taking the points, hope WGS doesn't set the team out with a draw in mind.

Hail Hail
Tbc....

clarshack

celtic took an almighty battering in the 1st half.  should be 4 or 5 down. shaktar's millions have been well spent - they look a decent side.

clarshack

2-0 to shaktar. celtic once again poor on the road - you cant expect to get results at this level if you constantly give away possession.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: clarshack on September 18, 2007, 09:39:05 PM
2-0 to shaktar. celtic once again poor on the road - you cant expect to get results at this level if you constantly give away possession.
yep
that 'home grown' yellow pack defence is not good enough for the CL - it might be ok for the spl and even against epl sides, but not against the cream of europe !
Mistakes like that just show why centre halves need to be natural centre halves not converted full backs - as McManus last night and jamie carragher of liverpool frequently demonstrate

supersarsfields

Jeez Lynch I think that's a bit harsh on Jamie Carragher considering he'd be in the top three if not two central defenders in the EPL.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: supersarsfields on September 19, 2007, 10:24:27 AM
Jeez Lynch I think that's a bit harsh on Jamie Carragher considering he'd be in the top three if not two central defenders in the EPL.
its harsh, but look at the amount of mistakes he makes against eg arsenal
he tries to play too much football for a centrehalf. You dont get caught out too often, but when you do, its 75% sure you will concede a goal. In the event of any doubt, its Row Z.
McManus is also a full back converted to centre half and while he has adopted the 'when in doubt, put it out' strategy in the last 6 months or so, he is still prone to make the odd mistake as does carragher, that results mostly in a goal. Natural centre halves like lawerenson, hanson, john terry etc dont .

supersarsfields

Naw Lynch I'll have to disagree with that. Personally I think Carragher is a typical no nonsense CH. If anything I would say that Agger is the one who trys to play more football. Carragher will be the one to put the last ditch tackle or block in just at the right time. If Carragher was making that many mistakes he wouldn't be in there or part of one of the tighest defences the last couple of years. I know personally I'd have Carragher in my team every day of the week. I see him and Terry as the top two CH's in the EPL. I'll accept others rate Rio higher, but personally I dont.
But to get back on topic again, I wasn't overly hopeful about Celtic last nite. I just don't think they have a cutting edge up front that can do the business in Europe. In the SPL it's ok as they'll create more chances and would hope to put a few away but in europe you could be restricted to a small handful of chances in a game and you need to be clinical enough to take them.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: supersarsfields on September 19, 2007, 10:51:49 AM
Naw Lynch I'll have to disagree with that. Personally I think Carragher is a typical no nonsense CH. If anything I would say that Agger is the one who trys to play more football. Carragher will be the one to put the last ditch tackle or block in just at the right time. If Carragher was making that many mistakes he wouldn't be in there or part of one of the tighest defences the last couple of years. I know personally I'd have Carragher in my team every day of the week. I see him and Terry as the top two CH's in the EPL. I'll accept others rate Rio higher, but personally I dont.
But to get back on topic again, I wasn't overly hopeful about Celtic last nite. I just don't think they have a cutting edge up front that can do the business in Europe. In the SPL it's ok as they'll create more chances and would hope to put a few away but in europe you could be restricted to a small handful of chances in a game and you need to be clinical enough to take them.

Would agree with you there ss, we looked sterile in attack, and the mid-field couldn't hold the ball, passing was very poor as well.
We were very disappointing last night, I personally believe that we can play much better, but let's not take anything away from Shakter, they look the business and I think that they will defo take points off both the other teams in this group.
Why in the name of God can Naka not last a full game on the road in Europe??

All is not lost though, 5 more games, we need 10 points to safely qualify, but need to improve by 200%.

HAIL HAIL
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 19, 2007, 11:08:18 AM
Quote from: supersarsfields on September 19, 2007, 10:51:49 AM
Would agree with you there ss, we looked sterile in attack, and the mid-field couldn't hold the ball, passing was very poor as well.
We were very disappointing last night, I personally believe that we can play much better, but let's not take anything away from Shakter, they look the business and I think that they will defo take points off both the other teams in this group.
Why in the name of God can Naka not last a full game on the road in Europe??

All is not lost though, 5 more games, we need 10 points to safely qualify, but need to improve by 200%.

HAIL HAIL
we will agree to disagree SS - although I would accept most would not side with my opinion there! JC is at the better nd of the scale than rio, and agger is somewhere in between.
None of them are fit to lace the great Lawro's boots though !
as said, back to topic - Celtic's prob is that they sent out a 12million team to go toe to toe with a 60million team.
Strachan is guilty of staying loyaly to his current team (never change a winning team) which is admirable, but remembering artmedia bratislava, I hoped GS would also think if this and play a more cautious 352 or 451 rather than go 442 and try to slog it out away to a team that is top of their league.
Tactically naive again from wee ginger. He has also been found out for not buying two decent full backs and a decent Reiper-esque centre half.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 19, 2007, 10:41:34 AM
McManus is also a full back converted to centre half and while he has adopted the 'when in doubt, put it out' strategy in the last 6 months or so, he is still prone to make the odd mistake as does carragher, that results mostly in a goal. Natural centre halves like lawerenson, hanson, john terry etc dont .

Ive never seen McManus as a full back to be honest lynchbhoy (he's always been a centre half anyway as far as I know) and as things stand he is the best defender at Parkhead, quite incredible the progress the boy has made over the last 2 years. His performance in Paris last week was outstanding.

Celtic made a shocking start last night which you just cant do at this level. Lee Naylor looks a pale shadow of the guy who was so impressive for Celtic last season and has been poor so far this term, maybe he's not the bargain everyone thought he was. Was also surprised to see Killen on the park last night, he'll do a job in some SPL games but isnt a CL player.