Liam Clancy dies aged 74

Started by Bord na Mona man, December 04, 2009, 07:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

I know its mentioned on the Death Notices topic, but it deserves a topic of its own.
A true legend who'll be sadly missed.

Singer Liam Clancy dies aged 74

Liam Clancy, the man Bob Dylan described as the "greatest ballad singer" he had ever heard has died. He was 74.

Mr Clancy died at Bon Secours Hospital in Cork after a long battle with pulmonary fibrosis - scarring of the lungs. His brother Bobby died of the same disease in 2002.

In an interview with The Irish Times in September to promote The Yellow Bittern, a film about his life, he admitted that he was on his "last legs" from the disease.

Liam was the youngest of the four Clancy brothers and Paddy, Bobby and Tom all predeceased him. Tommy Mackem died two years ago.

Born in Carrick-on-Suir, Co Tipperary, Liam Clancy emigrated to the United States to join his brothers in 1956.

They began their singing careers around the pubs of Greenwich Village where they met a young Bob Dylan who has claimed them as one of his biggest influences.

Together the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Macken began a transatlantic phenomenon after a fortuitous break on the coast-to-coast Ed Sullivan Show in 1961 where they filled in for a guest who could not turn up.

They were then offered a record deal with Columbia and were hugely successful on both sides of the Atlantic resurrecting Irish songs such as Roddy McCorley, Brennan on the Moor and The Jug of Punch. Their ability as recording artists was matched by the strength of their live performances and their gifts as songwriters.

Filmmaker Alan Gilsenen, who made The Yellow Bittern, said Mr Clancy's passing was the "end of an era".

"He and his brothers and Tommy reclaimed an enormous amount of folk songs for Ireland, reinterpreted in them in terms of their experience in America outselling the Beatles at one stage."

Fine Gael Leader Enda Kenny expressed his sympathy on the sad passing of Liam Clancy, saying that Ireland has lost a brilliant musician.

"I hugely regret the passing of Liam Clancy. His death really does mark the end of an era. Liam's contribution to Irish music and culture was simply outstanding," he said.

"As a member of the Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem, they revolutionised ballad and hope music in Ireland and later with Tommy Makem, Liam provided outstanding entertainment and promotion of his country."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1204/breaking77.htm

The Blegard

Ceol,Dole agus Ol

Hardy

The best ballad singer he ever heard, said his old mate Dylan. Saw him in the Opera House only last year and he held the audience in the palm of his hand for an evening without even seeming to be trying.

Of all the money that ere I had, I spent it in good company.
And of all the harm that ere I've done, 'twas done, alas, to none but me.
And all I've done for want of wit to memory now I can't recall.
So fill to me the parting glass; goodnight and joy be with you all.

Of all the comrades that ere I had, they're sorry for my going away.
And of all the sweethearts that ere I had, they'd wish me one more day to stay.
But since it falls unto my lot that I should rise while you should not,
I will gently rise and I'll softly call, "Goodnight and joy be with you all!

mournerambler

I don't use the word 'legend' often, Liam was an absolute master of his profession & I was fortunate to have seen him perform with Tommy Makem in a live concert in the mid 80's, RIP the 'legend' Liam Clancy.

thejuice

Just heard. Very sad, was just listening to the Clancy's yesterday. Another Giant of Irish music has passed on. Gone but has left behind a brilliant legacy,  :'(

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rossfan

Farewell to a great entertainer who will be sadly missed.
Beidh craic agus singsong mór sa Flaitheas anocht le Tommy Makem, Ronnie,Luke ,na dreithearacha eile agus ...... :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Donnellys Hollow

One of the last of a dying breed sadly.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

anglocelt39

That, I'm fairly sure is the last of the Clancy brothers gone to the great folk club in the sky. RIP. It's funny but growing up in Ireland in the 70's the Clancys were the sort of outfit your uneducated musical ear tended to take for granted. It's only when I took up one of the biogrophies a few years ago that I appreciated the enormity of what they achieved, particularly in the USA in both acting and musically. Twas some journey from Carrick on Suir.

Makes seeing the current movie, the Yellow Bittern, all the more important
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

balladmaker

The word legend is often misused and overused, however, it has never been more applicable than when used to describe Liam Clancy.  A true legend who will never be replaced.  As has been said, the great ballad singers of Ireland are a fast dying breed which is very sad indeed.

Rest in peace Liam.

5 Sams

Tubridy asked Christy Moore tonight if Liam had influenced any of his music...Christy said that Liam Clancy changed his life....enuff said...codladh samh Liam.
The Aristocrat Years

ardmhachaabu

My ma is a Keady woman, she sang all his songs to me growing up - it was even more special when I grew up and realised she knew Liam etc from growing up in Keady

RIP Liam, a good Gael
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Over the Bar

Quality gael.  Got out of Armagh at the right time. RIP

boojangles

RIP.One of the greats and its only lately I really have started to appreciate his music. Same bracket as Luke Kelly, irreplacable.

Shamrock Shore

What a man.

Lord rest his soul.

We all die - but the likes of Liam Clancy should be allowed to live forever.

But iI suppose in a way he does. With his music and life story he will never be forgotten along with the brothers and Tommy Makem.

RIP