Mick O'Dwyer

Started by Bud Wiser, November 05, 2007, 09:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 08, 2018, 11:48:45 PM
Quote from: Targetman on January 08, 2018, 11:23:03 PM
How anyone could call Mick O Dwyer and his achievements overrated is beyond me, really enjoyed the documentary, he had Kerry training for 27 days in a row, surely some of the current county set ups could beat that!!

He was in charge of a extremely talented bunch of players. He had 3 games to win each year to win the All Ireland, in some years he only had 2. There were 9 counties basically excluded from winning the All-Ireland because of the conflict in the North.

Add in his mercenary streak and we get an over-rated Gael.

At certain stages the beating Cork in Munster was a formality, they had so broken their spirit. Dual Cork players just stuck to Hurling. The Dubs stood in the way for a while, but they were swatted away easily when they got the measure of them.

People say the same about Dublin now! That they have no competition in Leinster and go straight into a Quarter final untested. That they have only one game to win an AI depending on whether they have to beat Kerry and Mayo in the one year!

He had to have something to do what he did! It might have been just that he oozed confidence and nothing else tactically, but it worked what ever it was.

On reflection, I can't ever remember Miko ever letting himself down with a bad statement. He seemed to take both victory and defeat with great humility.

I grew up originally hating his Kerry team (because they won every year) to willing them on to titles in the mid 80's. I was at the Munster final replay in 1987 and although they lost I (even as a 16 year old) realised I was watching the end of true greatness.

Tyrdub

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 08, 2018, 10:17:10 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on January 08, 2018, 07:38:59 PM
The best story I read about Micko was from his Laois time (I think). He had the boys running incessant laps, so the captain or one of the boys asked Micko could they not change the training...he proceeded to tell them ''yeah thats fine. Turn around and run the other direction.'' On the other hand, I think he's the most over-rated GAA personality in the history of the sport.

I wouldn't be a big fan of Micko and I think his mercenary streak in his later years taint him for me, but it's harsh to call him overrated. His record speaks for itself and keeping that Kerry team motivated and hungry was an achievement itself. His greatest feat may have been coming back for another 3 in a row after sickening losses in 82 😀 and 83.

As a Dub fan that would have been my thoughts on Micko too, wanted the dough and trawled the country looking it, but boy was I wrong. Last night shed a whole new light on him for me, his gra for the game still shines. The fact he took Waterville u14s last year was brilliant.
One thing stood out though was the line where he said he'd no love for Heffo, they never even shook hands?? Still really enjoyed it, one of the best GAA documentaries.

Orchard park

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 08, 2018, 11:48:45 PM
Quote from: Targetman on January 08, 2018, 11:23:03 PM
How anyone could call Mick O Dwyer and his achievements overrated is beyond me, really enjoyed the documentary, he had Kerry training for 27 days in a row, surely some of the current county set ups could beat that!!

He was in charge of a extremely talented bunch of players. He had 3 games to win each year to win the All Ireland, in some years he only had 2. There were 9 counties basically excluded from winning the All-Ireland because of the conflict in the North.

Add in his mercenary streak and we get an over-rated Gael.

you'll find 6 county conflict wasnt the cause of Cavan, Monaghan or Donegal for starters not achieving more in the Mick years

laoislad

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 08, 2018, 11:32:02 PM
Mercenary or Angel Sent From Heaven
Laois had some notions giving him the sack
3 Leinster Finals, won one for the first time in 50 odd years
Was hard hearing him say that he thought they were good enough to win the big one.
What might have been eh?
Parkinson was on Twitter saying there was more to it than just the players commitment. Who knows.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: T Fearon on January 08, 2018, 10:53:43 PM
Great documentary.The most successful GAA player and manager there ever will be
I have a hunch that a man called Brian Cody will come along and win more than him.

OTF

Quote from: laoislad on January 09, 2018, 09:33:30 AM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 08, 2018, 11:32:02 PM
Mercenary or Angel Sent From Heaven
Laois had some notions giving him the sack
3 Leinster Finals, won one for the first time in 50 odd years
Was hard hearing him say that he thought they were good enough to win the big one.
What might have been eh?
Parkinson was on Twitter saying there was more to it than just the players commitment. Who knows.

He wasn't sacked his term was up... big difference. They players knew  themselves his methods weren't working as they were being thrown around the place like rag dolls by Armagh and Tyrone, examples Clancy and Ross were 2 totally different boys after a bit of s+c during McNulty's  tenure.
One other point, does anyone remember  "the Heath showdown" anyway much publicised meeting with Micko and the Laois players after a week of I'm  not getting the commitment and I don't think I can continue blah blah blah.Television cameras the nine o clock news, showdown withe the players and in the end it all gets sorted. The exact week Dublin CB were considering Micko for job. Nice exit strategy.
Having said all above it was a brilliant few years in Laois while he was there and I don't believe anyone else would have got as much out of the team, the big one ? IMO  no chance.

rosnarun

if Parkinson  knew any different he woiuld not be long saying it . micko helped them overachieve and they got notions . sounds straightforward enough
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Bord na Mona man

The ironic thing is that Parkinson was the epitome of the jack the lad mentality that was holding Leix back.
Micko managed to stamp it out. He might have lacked the scientific approach in other areas, but he broke the glass ceiling for them.

Rossfan

Very good programme.
Enough material in his GAA life for a series never mind just 1 programme.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Shamrock Shore

Micko is a legend but don't let the 'yerra I was only doing it for the love of it' sucker you in.

Underneath it all he is a cutest of them all.

Could he have got more out of Laois - perhaps.
Probably got as much out of Kildare as one could.
Got nothing out of Wicklow but who tf could?

His hotel in Waterville has to be seen. I believe all the bedrooms are painted shrines to Kerry football.
There is a statue there as well opposite. Not sure about statues to people still living......

One story that I am not proud of was a game in very early 70s when Longford played Kerry in the League. Horrible wet pitch and Micko was full forward. High ball comes in, Longford goalie comes out, all knees and elbows, and clanes Micko out of it and leaves him in a heap. Goalie on the way back in sees Micko on the ground and sows the boot into him (allegedly)

APM

You're proud enough of it or ye wouldn't have told the story  ;)

Cunny Funt

Quote from: rosnarun on January 09, 2018, 10:50:18 AM
if Parkinson  knew any different he woiuld not be long saying it . micko helped them overachieve and they got notions . sounds straightforward enough

Overachieved? i don't think so. It was the best batch of Laois players to come along in one space of time and all that Micko did was to display some of the potential they had. I remember reading article a few years ago not sure if it was from Parkinson or another player but he said the underage success made some of the players think they were stars already, they would go into bars in Laois where the walls were lined with their pictures and total strangers would come up to them and buy them pints. All of this probably gave them the attitude they didn't had to work as hard as other players less talented.

Not even the great Micko could get that group of Laois players to achieve their true potential at senior level.

Dinny Breen

Micko made sure Mick Wright got sent off in that Leinster 2003 final as Laois struggled past 13 men. They were unfortunate to draw Armagh in the Quarter-finals that year as I think they would have made the final and that would have been interesting against a Tyrone side who were also building on successful minor teams. Maybe in an alternate universe Laois are nursing 3 All-Irelands.

From a Kildare perspective he should never have played Glen in 1998 final, he couldn't walk that morning never mind play football. Still what a glorious summer for Kildare, 20 years this year  :'(
#newbridgeornowhere

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 09, 2018, 03:50:41 PM
Micko made sure Mick Wright got sent off in that Leinster 2003 final as Laois struggled past 13 men. They were unfortunate to draw Armagh in the Quarter-finals that year as I think they would have made the final and that would have been interesting against a Tyrone side who were also building on successful minor teams. Maybe in an alternate universe Laois are nursing 3 All-Irelands.

From a Kildare perspective he should never have played Glen in 1998 final, he couldn't walk that morning never mind play football. Still what a glorious summer for Kildare, 20 years this year  :'(

From memory thought Glen Ryan had a good first half? Ja Fallon hit 3 brilliant scores in the 2nd half but Ryan couldn't be blamed for any of them.

square_ball

I'm not sure Laois would have given Tyrone a game that year in the final. They met in the league final that same year and there was 10 points in it. They were a level or two below the likes of Tyrone, Armagh and Kerry in those few years in my opinion.