Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Watched Wilder v Ortis there this morning without knowing the result, started of slow but sprang into life about R4/5 - superb fight in the end.

nrico2006

Quote from: bennydorano on March 04, 2018, 09:04:08 AM
Watched Wilder v Ortis there this morning without knowing the result, started of slow but sprang into life about R4/5 - superb fight in the end.

Wilder Joshua will be some fight.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jim Bob

Quote from: bennydorano on March 04, 2018, 09:04:08 AM

Good on ya for not saying the result. Watched it after your comment. Great fight indeed!!!

The Iceman

the finish was hard to watch - at that point both of them were exhausted, there was a lot of inside of the glove and swinging of bats....they weren't boxing at that point.... I think Joshua walks through him...

Good to see Brook back in the ring - he looked as sharp as ever and a nice clinical finish
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

CiKe

Quote from: The Iceman on March 05, 2018, 06:48:39 PM
the finish was hard to watch - at that point both of them were exhausted, there was a lot of inside of the glove and swinging of bats....they weren't boxing at that point.... I think Joshua walks through him...

Good to see Brook back in the ring - he looked as sharp as ever and a nice clinical finish

Joshua looked banjaxed and almost gone against Klitschko. You could be right but both seem to carry their power through the later rounds, even when they look wiped so could go either way.

Joshua has a fight beforehand in any case. He should win, but I just don't think he is as good as the Brits would love him to be.

bennydorano

Quote from: The Iceman on March 05, 2018, 06:48:39 PM

In relation to be hard to watch - did anyone notice the camera focusing on what was presumably Ortiz's family after he got lamped in one of the early to middle rounds, his young girl's face went from a a big smile to a face of horror - I was shouting at the tv for showing such a shot.

BennyHarp

Canelo Alvarez has failed a drugs test ahead of his rematch with GGG. Fight still on though apparently.
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 05, 2018, 10:53:52 PM
Canelo Alvarez has failed a drugs test ahead of his rematch with GGG. Fight still on though apparently.

Says it was beef!

It was a voluntary drug test that he insisted on for both though so does that mean technically it's not subject to WADA?

Atticus_Finch

Fight is confirmed as going ahead, i think WADA's verdict on the tests supported Alvarez in that the amount of the PED in question was consistent with what would be found in contaminated meat.

His training camp has now been moved to the States.   It's not the first time a Golden Boy fighter has been victim of Mexican contaminated meat, Erik Morales was also the same.  I think next time someone is found to be guilty of it they won't be treated so leniently.

Speaking of drugs cheats (and i'm not saying that Alvarez is one) ... Luis Ortiz put up a great show against Wilder at the weekend.  In light of past indiscretions he was rigorously tested in the run up to the fight.  He bossed a lot of the fight and I thought he had Wilder gone in the 7th, Wilder's legs still seemed to be very unsteady at the start of the 8th.  But fair play to Wilder he took all the shots and rallied.

Wilder vs AJ makes for an interesting fight, if Ortiz jab caused Wilder problems then I think AJ's jab will be a nightmare for him.  He's lightning in comparison to Ortiz and won't tire like he did.  Having said that Wilder only seems to need that small window of opportunity to do some damage but i can't see AJ granting him that.

Eddie Hearn will be rubbing his hands at the prospect of that bout.  Been a long time since there was a buzz like this round the Heavyweight scene.  If that's fight made, it will probably be a Wembley job.  Unless you can afford the expensive seats, going is a waste of time.  Any of the cheaper seats you will just spend your time watching the fight on the big screen.

Khan vs Brook is likely to happen before the year is out as well, looking forward to that one.  I've probably called him a bell end once or twice on this board but in fairness to him Khan is rarely in a dull fight.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

nrico2006

Heard talk that it was for Cardiff, not I hear that Wilders promoter is pushing for the T-Mobile as he believes they will make bucks as the 20,000 seats are far more expensive than the 80,000 in Wembley or whatever Cardiff holds. 

Wilder looks so ordinary but as mentioned some of his big shots don't even look like big shots, doesn't need much of an opportunity and even someone as wily as Ortiz couldn't keep him at bay.  Joshua hits hard though, and his jab is strong but I dunno if it was Ortiz's jab that was keeping Wilder at bay or hesitation over his southpaw stance.  Wilder is so quick on his feet too, can be 2 metres away and in a split second he is in on top of a fighter.  At this stage this is really a 50/50 fight, both fighters could knock the other out.  It was crazy to think that if Wilder came in against Joshua at the weight he fought on Saturday then he would be giving up the guts of 2 stone.  Joshua will take care of Parker no bother. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

square_ball

Wtf is Quigg at missing weight for a world title by nearly 3lbs?? Seriously unprofessional to be out by that much.

Syferus

I can't believe you'd say Joshua-Wilder is a 50/50 fight.

Joshua is going to make him look very stupid.

BennyHarp

Quote from: square_ball on March 09, 2018, 11:27:34 PM
Wtf is Quigg at missing weight for a world title by nearly 3lbs?? Seriously unprofessional to be out by that much.

Just read that. Quigg always have the impression of being meticulous in his training. I remember watching a documentary before the Frampton fight showing how strict his regime was and how his lived a near hermit life such was his dedication to his boxing. He moves to America and within a few fights he's nearly 3lb overweight at a higher weight division.
That was never a square ball!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 10, 2018, 07:23:10 AM
Quote from: square_ball on March 09, 2018, 11:27:34 PM

Just read that. Quigg always have the impression of being meticulous in his training. I remember watching a documentary before the Frampton fight showing how strict his regime was and how his lived a near hermit life such was his dedication to his boxing. He moves to America and within a few fights he's nearly 3lb overweight at a higher weight division.

I was hoping Quigg would have won this bout to set up another rematch with Carl!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Quote from: Syferus on March 09, 2018, 11:34:38 PM
I can't believe you'd say Joshua-Wilder is a 50/50 fight.

Joshua is going to make him look very stupid.
I would fancy Joshua to win but Wilder is unpredictable and has probably the hardest punch in the division.

I had thought Quigg would have a good chance tonight until i saw the scales yesterday. Either he has come in heavy on purpose and gains an advantage or he is weight drained and will suffer because of it.