The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: shark on March 21, 2018, 12:28:16 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 21, 2018, 12:08:10 PM
Even this year when we were in my opinion clearly better than the other sides we had to rely on nothing short of a miracle in Paris and an intercept against Wales. Grand slams are incredibly hard to do.

All true.

I think what is so impressive about this year though is how well Ireland coped with injuries. The Wales game especially where you could argue that 5 certain starters were missing. Whether they are all certain starters now may not be true, especially in O'Brien's case.
You would worry for O'Brien on the back of all the consecutive injuries he has endured in the past few years - I doubt he has much more top level rugby left in his locker at this stage - hope Im wrong.

magpie seanie

Quote from: shark on March 21, 2018, 12:28:16 PM
Even this year when we were in my opinion clearly better than the other sides we had to rely on nothing short of a miracle in Paris and an intercept against Wales. Grand slams are incredibly hard to do.

All true.

I think what is so impressive about this year though is how well Ireland coped with injuries. The Wales game especially where you could argue that 5 certain starters were missing. Whether they are all certain starters now may not be true, especially in O'Brien's case.

Which is the clear and obvious area we had to improve if we want to make an impact at a World Cup. Squad depth.

JPGJOHNNYG

No doubt about it they are hard to do. I always found it difficult to understand how Wales not so long ago did it 3 times in 7 years with an OKish team a team that often in between grand slams was fighting not to get the wooden spoon.

screenexile

It definitely feels different this time though . . . in 2009 it felt like the pinnacle whereas this time it's more of a run on the ladder.

This group of players are looking for more and 18 months time will be a big test!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 21, 2018, 12:53:11 PM

No doubt about it they are hard to do. I always found it difficult to understand how Wales not so long ago did it 3 times in 7 years with an OKish team a team that often in between grand slams was fighting not to get the wooden spoon.

Gatland is a great coach to be fair, he's done very well at Wales.

square_ball

Agree on Paris that was a Hail Mary kick but we were winning v Wales at the time of the intercept plus it was on the half way line. Not as if wales were camped on the line and they were certain to score if that ball went to hand.

seafoid

The schedule really helped. 3 home games in the middle and the knackered England at the end 

Next year has England on day 1
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

StGallsGAA

Quote from: screenexile on March 21, 2018, 01:18:21 PM
It definitely feels different this time though . . . in 2009 it felt like the pinnacle whereas this time it's more of a run on the ladder.

This group of players are looking for more and 18 months time will be a big test!
Not a f**king hope in the RWC.

screenexile

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 21, 2018, 11:55:56 PM

We are literally the 2nd best team in the world at the minute . . . of course it depends on a lot of things but surely that hast o be the target and it is definitely achievable!

passedit

Quote from: screenexile on March 22, 2018, 09:57:24 AM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 21, 2018, 11:55:56 PM

We are literally the 2nd best team in the world at the minute . . . of course it depends on a lot of things but surely that hast o be the target and it is definitely achievable!

Luck has to be better than last time when the team was eviscerated in the French game making them easy pickings a week later. Depth is probably better now but I'm not sure they could still withstand comparable losses this time round either.

Last saturday was strange, for such a momentous achievement, I found it all a bit flat probably because  I'm not sure I've ever been as cold at a sporting event but mainly because there was never a doubt about the outcome from the fifth minute on. I was expecting a lot more from the English but Ireland completely bossed them. The trys at the end only took the bad look of it.
Don't Panic

Walter Cronc

How does a man start to look for tickets to the NZ game in November?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 24, 2018, 08:53:14 AM
How does a man start to look for tickets to the NZ game in November?

Same, daughter torturing me for going
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

You lads know anyone that is member of a club in IRFU, that's your most reliable chance.

Sometimes there is pre registration before tickets go online if you keep an eye on the IRFU site but I don't know about the All Blacks....demand will be huge.

Owen Brannigan

Best chance is to buy the total autumn package when it becomes available.