Attendances

Started by slippery dodger, January 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: APM on January 26, 2018, 12:50:10 PM
It's a number of things:
Not as good to watch
The blanket means that as a spectacle the game isn't as good.  I don't care what anyone says, but this business of passing the ball around in an arc around the 50 is not as good to watch as quick ball into a the full forward line, with guys like Mickey Linden, Marsden, Canavan and McDonnell out in front of their marker and taking on their men.  We just don't see as much of this in today's game as 2001.

Perception and negativity
Why would I be bothered going to games if the so-called experts keep telling me that the product is rubbish.  Notwithstanding what I have said above, I still get a kick out of watching football and we still have some fantastic games, but when the very pundits that you would expect to be promoting the game on TV are saying that every game is shite, it's little wonder attendances are falling.  The amount of negativity surrounding the games is at an all time high and it is now in vogue at all levels, from pundits down to club level, to criticise county football. 

Hammerings
In 2001 there were some hammerings, but I don't think there were so many as there are now.  Leinster was competitive.  Ulster, despite the fact that two teams dominated from 1999 to 2010, was still competitive.  Dublin matches now literally aren't worth watching until they reach the Semi-Final or Final.  They are playing at a professional level.   

Over Exposure
I remember thinking that with so many games televised and so much coverage back around 04, that supporters would lap it up for a while, but that eventually people would take it for granted and less would do them. Take the first Ulster Final that went to HQ in 2004.  There was 60,000 there.  Only 30,000 for the Ulster Final Replay in '05.  The qualifier effect was alive and well, with Sligo, Fermanagh, Limerick, Derry, Donegal getting good runs.  There were loads of novel pairings - I remember Sligo and Kildare I think attracting a great crowd on a Saturday night around '04.

Half Empty Stadiums
There is rarely a decent atmosphere in a half-full Croke Park.  It looks terrible on TV and exacerbates the notion that we have a poor product.  I cannot understand organisers taking smallish games to big stadiums.  Better to have a small ground filled to capacity, because the atmosphere is all part of the product.

Very well put. The sector who will cause the swelling and shrinking of attendances is the moderately interested championship spectator. These swing voters can be swayed one way or another by a lot of factors - The weather, the distance, the cost, the beer, the expected result and a dozen other things.

Being continually told that they are being served up slop is bound to have an affect and cause them to stay away.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: APM on January 26, 2018, 12:50:10 PM
It's a number of things:
Not as good to watch
The blanket means that as a spectacle the game isn't as good.  I don't care what anyone says, but this business of passing the ball around in an arc around the 50 is not as good to watch as quick ball into a the full forward line, with guys like Mickey Linden, Marsden, Canavan and McDonnell out in front of their marker and taking on their men.  We just don't see as much of this in today's game as 2001.

Perception and negativity
Why would I be bothered going to games if the so-called experts keep telling me that the product is rubbish.  Notwithstanding what I have said above, I still get a kick out of watching football and we still have some fantastic games, but when the very pundits that you would expect to be promoting the game on TV are saying that every game is shite, it's little wonder attendances are falling.  The amount of negativity surrounding the games is at an all time high and it is now in vogue at all levels, from pundits down to club level, to criticise county football. 

Hammerings
In 2001 there were some hammerings, but I don't think there were so many as there are now.  Leinster was competitive.  Ulster, despite the fact that two teams dominated from 1999 to 2010, was still competitive.  Dublin matches now literally aren't worth watching until they reach the Semi-Final or Final.  They are playing at a professional level.   

Over Exposure
I remember thinking that with so many games televised and so much coverage back around 04, that supporters would lap it up for a while, but that eventually people would take it for granted and less would do them. Take the first Ulster Final that went to HQ in 2004.  There was 60,000 there.  Only 30,000 for the Ulster Final Replay in '05.  The qualifier effect was alive and well, with Sligo, Fermanagh, Limerick, Derry, Donegal getting good runs.  There were loads of novel pairings - I remember Sligo and Kildare I think attracting a great crowd on a Saturday night around '04.

Half Empty Stadiums
There is rarely a decent atmosphere in a half-full Croke Park.  It looks terrible on TV and exacerbates the notion that we have a poor product.  I cannot understand organisers taking smallish games to big stadiums.  Better to have a small ground filled to capacity, because the atmosphere is all part of the product.

Could not agree more with you, specifically the bolded parts.

Cunny Funt

On the subject of half empty stadiums how hard would it be for HQ to play the Div 3,4 double header league finals in 20,000 capacity stadium?

OgraAnDun

Croke Park premium and corporate tickets are sold with the commitment that all AIQF onwards are played in CP. Maybe football league finals are the same?

APM

Quote from: OgraAnDun on January 26, 2018, 06:33:16 PM
Croke Park premium and corporate tickets are sold with the commitment that all AIQF onwards are played in CP. Maybe football league finals are the same?

About time it stopped!

slippery dodger

Well with the Super 8's there will be a minimum of 7/12 quarterfinal type games outside Croke Park and in smaller provincial sized grounds

Rossfan

Quote from: APM on January 26, 2018, 06:44:57 PM

About time it stopped!
Playing big games in Croker?
Selling Premium Ticket packages?
Letting the D3 and D4 crowd play their Finals on Croker?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

slippery dodger

With David Clifford starting for Kerry on Sunday I'd guess the attendance in Killarney could be a lot bigger than expected

OgraAnDun

Quote from: slippery dodger on January 26, 2018, 08:14:58 PM

Well with the Super 8's there will be a minimum of 7/12 quarterfinal type games outside Croke Park and in smaller provincial sized grounds

True. I suppose by having minimum 4 S8 games in Croker, they managed to fulfill the obligation to have a minimum of 7 football championship games each year at HQ.

Rossfan

Where will Kildare and  Meath play their home games if they make the last 8?

LooseCannon

Quote from: Rossfan on January 27, 2018, 10:49:25 AM

O'Connor or O'Moore Park I'd imagine.

tippabu

If waterford and ennis are able to host munster championship games the no reason newbridge and pairc tailteann cant host 1/4 finals

LooseCannon

Quote from: tippabu on January 27, 2018, 12:48:04 PM

If waterford and ennis are able to host munster championship games the no reason newbridge and pairc tailteann cant host 1/4 finals

I think Waterford is taken out of the question altogether now over a heap of gravel behind one end of the pitch. Supposedly reducing capacity.
I think they'll concede Home advantage, but will probably get more grant funding as a result.

Rossfan

No way Newbridge will be allowed hold a big 8 game.
If Kildare get that far the bandwagon will be at least 20,000 strong.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Rossfan on January 27, 2018, 02:35:49 PM
No way Newbridge will be allowed hold a big 8 game.
If Kildare get that far the bandwagon will be at least 20,000 strong.

The bandwagon is broke well beyond repair at this stage, our fans were outnumbered at every game in last years championship and had the smallest following in the last 12 game in Croke park. Newbridge will do grand for our support, the away team should be made do with an allocation of 2000 or so like in any other sport.