We need to talk about the Dubs - get it off your chest

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 18, 2017, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashman

Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2017, 10:13:52 AM
Quote from: ashman on July 21, 2017, 09:50:48 AM
To address I think you have a point but your use of "Spewan" makes you look a bit vindictive.

The centres you mentioned are being funded by Co Boards following massive fundraising campaigns and much of this through the diaspora .  They have to do this because largely the facilities in these counties lag behind the big urban centres . 

Every metric is now favouring Dublin. 

Population , facilities ,  economic development , club structures , etc ,  central GAA funding ,  croke park for league and champ games and huge corporate sponsorship.

10 {or more?)of the Mayo panel live in Dublin .  Think of the logistical difficulty there.

There is a huge gap here and it is growing

Nobody can reasonably deny any of this.
But we'll still be told that other counties are unequal, that it is only a phase, that it isn't Dublin's fault, yadda yadda yadda.

To be fair to Dublin they are not to blame here .  This argument isn't anti Dublin but rather a genuine concern that inter county football may no longer be competitive.

At this stage I think the genie is out of the bottle .   The GAA and the government are the culprits here.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Buttofthehill on July 21, 2017, 10:20:09 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 21, 2017, 09:18:23 AM
Dublin's bandwagon support do not travel the diehards and players might like it to an extent but no chance the GAA will move them out of their home ground. 13k in Portlaoise compared to 33k in CP for Westmeath game. €€€€€

Did Kildare vote to get Dublin out of CP for early Leinster games.At least 6 other counties of the 12 want to keep Dublin there.

Delegates voted on the basis of revenue generation, i.e. the more money the Leinster Council generate the more that can be given out to clubs counties etc Delegates are short term thinkers looking after their own patch, strategy and the bigger picture should be be the function of the Director General's office and it's probably fair to say that Mr Duffy has prioritized revenue generation ahead of equality in games development.
#newbridgeornowhere

TheGreatest

Quote from: ashman on July 21, 2017, 10:29:20 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2017, 10:13:52 AM
Quote from: ashman on July 21, 2017, 09:50:48 AM
To address I think you have a point but your use of "Spewan" makes you look a bit vindictive.

The centres you mentioned are being funded by Co Boards following massive fundraising campaigns and much of this through the diaspora .  They have to do this because largely the facilities in these counties lag behind the big urban centres . 

Every metric is now favouring Dublin. 

Population , facilities ,  economic development , club structures , etc ,  central GAA funding ,  croke park for league and champ games and huge corporate sponsorship.

10 {or more?)of the Mayo panel live in Dublin .  Think of the logistical difficulty there.

There is a huge gap here and it is growing

Nobody can reasonably deny any of this.
But we'll still be told that other counties are unequal, that it is only a phase, that it isn't Dublin's fault, yadda yadda yadda.

To be fair to Dublin they are not to blame here .  This argument isn't anti Dublin but rather a genuine concern that inter county football may no longer be competitive.

At this stage I think the genie is out of the bottle .   The GAA and the government are the culprits here.

It hasn't been competitive in the last 14 years. 5 teams have won the All Ireland. Kerry 5, Tyrone 3, Cork 1, Donegal 1 and Dublin 4. The fact is, like in every sport, not everyone competes at the same level, there is only 1 winner every year and usually the cream always rises to the top.

Again, the apologists for were people live now, that is not a Dublin senior football issue, its a Mayo issue, hook the lads up with jobs in their own county or perhaps they don't want to live there!!!> 

Crete Boom

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 21, 2017, 08:29:45 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 20, 2017, 06:27:20 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 20, 2017, 04:36:15 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/mayo-the-big-spenders-this-graph-breaks-down-each-countys-costs-in-2016-35458592.html

Mayo spending quite a bit too, if this is anything to go by.

U21 All Ireland winners and hurling team won the Nicky Rackard

Senior team played in Croke Park x 5 times. That's 5 overnight stays x 2 nights x 40-50 people approx.

Don't go then. You can see the big attendances in the league whenever the Dubs travel, Kerry, Cavan etc. That's not an advantage to the Dubs that you have to travel to games. Build a bigger stadium, oh sorry I forgot the stadium got bailed out by Croke Park. Cluxton said in his speech on Sunday he hopes we get a few more matches away as we love our away days out.

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 20, 2017, 04:30:06 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on July 20, 2017, 04:08:57 PM
Lar, that's a lot of nonsense and you know it. Il address those points later as some of us actually work in Dublin.... unlike our GAA players what..... will all the time off and money they have.

The obsession continues.
TheGreatest, can I ask you simply, do you think that Dublin is at any advantage, no matter how small, compared to other counties, due to the level of funding they receive relative to other counties?

No, but definitely have advantages over other counties that have always existed, pool of players, resources, championship matches in Croke Park (which was always the case).

The majority of coaching money goes on Children, its not as if Cluxton is getting 100k for playing. Some people argue that some Dublin clubs have a bigger pool of players than some counties, which is true, so where do you think the money goes.

I can see both side of the coin, I really can, but I cant ignore is people moaning giving out and slandering every little tiny miniscule thing about Dublin. There wasn't much giving out when we getting laughed out of Croke Park by Kerry, Tyrone and Mayo. Who's laughing now.

Anyway the real GAA is the club and that's what most of you should be worried about is your club.

You could argue the 20 million, yes that's 20 million that Cork got from Croke Park for building their stadium, how much money will that generate for them over the years. Plus the training pitches beside, the Tyrone centre of excellence cost millions, the Clare centre of excellence, the new Kerry centre of excellence that will cost millions, the Kerry sponsorship, the wealthiest company ever to sponsor a team. The Croke park bailout of Kildare, the bailout of Mayo's stadium even with millions in the bank they still put the hand out. The Donegal money during the McGuiness era, the helicopters to training, some might say it was money that won it for Donegal.

There are some very good GAA in Dublin and they get disrespected at every turn.

Il post a post later from another forum in response to Spewan's Mcckenna's latest copy and paste hack job.

Okay I realise I am probably arguing with somebody who when they think of Financial Reporting they have an image of the hand counting 50 euro notes on RTE Six One News but I'll do my best!!!
Mayo County Board took out a loan of roughly 5 million euros with Ulster Bank & 5 million euros from the GAA to finance the refurbishment of McHale Park. They entered into a loan agreement that would have them repay the loan plus interest over certain amount of years. This loan as like all loans taken out by county boards was underwritten by the GAA HQ as a gurantor (bit like your parents did for your Leaving Cert Holiday personal loan this summer), intsead of using the asset i.e. McHale Park as collateral.
Now when the Mayo county board were struggling to make the annual repayment of the loan to Ulster bank GAA HQ decided to buy the loan off Ulster Bank so the Mayo Co Board would now repay the loan to Croke Park only.
Now here is the important part, to help the Mayo Co Board the GAA lengthened the term of the loan to reduce the annual repayments figure required each year but as a consequence Mayo will have to pay more interest on the Loan in the long run. So while Mayo Co Board will pay a lower annual loan repayment to help reduce day to day expenses they will be forced to carry the debt longer and WILL HAVE TO PAY BACK THE FULL AMOUNT PLUS INCREASED INTEREST OF ALL THE MONIES OWED ON THE LOAN!!!!

A bail out for example would be where the GAA took over responsibilty for and repaid the Ulster Bank Loan, leved all the other counties a charge to cover the cost of buying out the €10 million loan then charge Mayo a written down amount of say €3 million and the rest of the GAA membership carried the written down cost of €7 million as result of Mayo's mistakes!!

As fo Mayo having millions in the bank, if you look at their accounts they posted in 2015 & 2016 a Balance Sheet profit based on assets held similiar to the Balance Sheet profits posted by AIB & Anglo Irish Bank in 2007!!! Essentially in real terms Mayo take in just about enough money to cover the costs each year mainly by fundraising and increasing annual charges on the clubs plus the Chairde Mhaigh Eo season ticket.
They majority of the expenses are running the county senior & underage football & hurling teams along with the loan repayments compared to a tiny amount spent on coaching & development. The unequal expenses spend can be put down to the ridiculous mistakes made during the redevlopment of McHale park no doubt but also down to a smaller or non-existent it could be argued devlopment grant payments from Central Council!!!

TheGreatest

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 21, 2017, 10:49:06 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/mayo-the-big-spenders-this-graph-breaks-down-each-countys-costs-in-2016-35458592.html

Senior team played in Croke Park x 5 times. That's 5 overnight stays x 2 nights x 40-50 people approx.

Don't go then. You can see the big attendances in the league whenever the Dubs travel, Kerry, Cavan etc. That's not an advantage to the Dubs that you have to travel to games. Build a bigger stadium, oh sorry I forgot the stadium got bailed out by Croke Park. Cluxton said in his speech on Sunday he hopes we get a few more matches away as we love our away days out.

Lar, that's a lot of nonsense and you know it. Il address those points later as some of us actually work in Dublin.... unlike our GAA players what..... will all the time off and money they have.

The obsession continues.
TheGreatest, can I ask you simply, do you think that Dublin is at any advantage, no matter how small, compared to other counties, due to the level of funding they receive relative to other counties?

No, but definitely have advantages over other counties that have always existed, pool of players, resources, championship matches in Croke Park (which was always the case).

The majority of coaching money goes on Children, its not as if Cluxton is getting 100k for playing. Some people argue that some Dublin clubs have a bigger pool of players than some counties, which is true, so where do you think the money goes.

I can see both side of the coin, I really can, but I cant ignore is people moaning giving out and slandering every little tiny miniscule thing about Dublin. There wasn't much giving out when we getting laughed out of Croke Park by Kerry, Tyrone and Mayo. Who's laughing now.

Anyway the real GAA is the club and that's what most of you should be worried about is your club.

You could argue the 20 million, yes that's 20 million that Cork got from Croke Park for building their stadium, how much money will that generate for them over the years. Plus the training pitches beside, the Tyrone centre of excellence cost millions, the Clare centre of excellence, the new Kerry centre of excellence that will cost millions, the Kerry sponsorship, the wealthiest company ever to sponsor a team. The Croke park bailout of Kildare, the bailout of Mayo's stadium even with millions in the bank they still put the hand out. The Donegal money during the McGuiness era, the helicopters to training, some might say it was money that won it for Donegal.

Il post a post later from another forum in response to Spewan's Mcckenna's latest copy and paste hack job.

Okay I realise I am probably arguing with somebody who when they think of Financial Reporting they have an image of the hand counting 50 euro notes on RTE Six One News but I'll do my best!!!
Mayo County Board took out a loan of roughly 5 million euros with Ulster Bank & 5 million euros from the GAA to finance the refurbishment of McHale Park. They entered into a loan agreement that would have them repay the loan plus interest over certain amount of years. This loan as like all loans taken out by county boards was underwritten by the GAA HQ as a gurantor (bit like your parents did for your Leaving Cert Holiday personal loan this summer), intsead of using the asset i.e. McHale Park as collateral.
Now when the Mayo county board were struggling to make the annual repayment of the loan to Ulster bank GAA HQ decided to buy the loan off Ulster Bank so the Mayo Co Board would now repay the loan to Croke Park only.
Now here is the important part, to help the Mayo Co Board the GAA lengthened the term of the loan to reduce the annual repayments figure required each year but as a consequence Mayo will have to pay more interest on the Loan in the long run. So while Mayo Co Board will pay a lower annual loan repayment to help reduce day to day expenses they will be forced to carry the debt longer and WILL HAVE TO PAY BACK THE FULL AMOUNT PLUS INCREASED INTEREST OF ALL THE MONIES OWED ON THE LOAN!!!!

A bail out for example would be where the GAA took over responsibilty for and repaid the Ulster Bank Loan, leved all the other counties a charge to cover the cost of buying out the €10 million loan then charge Mayo a written down amount of say €3 million and the rest of the GAA membership carried the written down cost of €7 million as result of Mayo's mistakes!!

As fo Mayo having millions in the bank, if you look at their accounts they posted in 2015 & 2016 a Balance Sheet profit based on assets held similiar to the Balance Sheet profits posted by AIB & Anglo Irish Bank in 2007!!! Essentially in real terms Mayo take in just about enough money to cover the costs each year mainly by fundraising and increasing annual charges on the clubs plus the Chairde Mhaigh Eo season ticket.
They majority of the expenses are running the county senior & underage football & hurling teams along with the loan repayments compared to a tiny amount spent on coaching & development. The unequal expenses spend can be put down to the ridiculous mistakes made during the redevlopment of McHale park no doubt but also down to a smaller or non-existent it could be argued devlopment grant payments from Central Council!!!

I understand finance and accounting practices, im in the same game.

So why are spending so much on your senior team then if you cant afford it.?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 21, 2017, 11:04:26 AM

The obsession continues.

To stay in the game, a rigged game but like a gambler on the pokies you just feel your luck has to change, it has to right?
#newbridgeornowhere

Lar Naparka

The obsession continues.
Zat so? ;D ;D

Good man, I will be waiting for your reply to any of my points, never mind them all.
I think I'm gonna have a long, long wait. Dunno what  actually working in Dublin means. I expect all Dublin players work in Dublin, point is that none of the travel up to 1,000 m a week to attend training sessions.
But, like I've said before, the arguments on this thread and countless others are a waste of time. 
Fact is Dublin holds over 40% of the Republic's population and around half its resources and the gap between it and the rest of the country is steadily widening.
I never blamed the Dubs for this. It must be put down to factors outside their control. This imbalance is, sooner or later, going to banjax the GAA, at least where intercounty competitions are concerned.
We are arguing her about locking the stable door when the horse has bolted.
In the long term, giving most other counties additional coaching grants will be of frig all benefit to the great majority of them. Do you think Leitrim might sneak an odd All Ireland if it got ten times as much grant aid as Dublin? You could stick another 20 counties at least beside Leitrim.

BTW, Ewan McKenna isn't the only reputable journalist that's worried about Dublin's stranglehold on senior inercounty competitions.
Sean Moran, a well respected Irish Times hack, has something to say about it here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/se%C3%A1n-moran-gaelic-games-equality-problem-is-getting-worse-1.2967169
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

shark

The obsession continues.

It's not the county board's money they are spending. If the money wasn't spent on the senior team then it wouldn't exist. A wealthy Mayo man in London doesn't care about paying back a loan on McHale park. He will only donate his money when he knows it's going to the senior team.

Fuzzman

I always meet a few Dublin mates (in their 50s now) after a Dublin game and I met them last Sunday when I arrived back from Clones.

In their eyes Dublin are not miles ahead of Kerry, Mayo or even Tyrone now (used to be Donegal). Yes the will admit that their is no competition in Leinster any more but that's not their fault.
They would say they remember too well the 70s and 80s when Kerry were the dominant force and how they went through the early 90s losing to lots of Ulster teams until 1995. So all of them are happy to sit back and enjoy their easy matches until the semi final and final.

I was asking them do they not miss that nervous feeling in your stomach when you go to matches not knowing who's gonna win and the excitement when you're there. The 2005 games between Dublin and Tyrone were complete rollercoasters with it swinging one way and the other.
I bring my kids to games now and they're boring as hell and all over after 15 mins quite often.

The Dubs fans now have become so used to winning easy that when they do get someone who puts it up to them, a lot of their fans have this almost arrogant "how dare you challenge us" attitude. Not all of them of course.
I think it will really benefit the Dubs fans if they took their Leinster semifinal and final games out of Croker as their fans are missing on that trip away feeling. Even if they did it for one year just to see how it faired out.

Crete Boom

The obsession continues.

Well we can afford it, just about anyway and the money spent on the team is money generated by Mayo Gaa members and sponsorship attained by Mayo GAA. Okay so the GAA agreed to the loan restructure but it's not as if the Mayo football team doesn't generate money for Croke park , no more than Dubs at the moment so it wasn't 100% a friendly gesture by the GAA to accept the loan restructure deal as they will come out on top in the end!!

I think the bone of contention for most non Dubs is the GAA realised the urban challenges Dublin faced 25 years ago in Football & Hurling and acted accordingly with the games development money along with a plan put in place by the Dub Co Board but with Dublin on strong footing now it is time for the GAA to realise the challenges faced by the rest of the counties!!

If the figures are true in respect of development grants form the GAA and Sports council then most Dubs could see why other counties would look on and wonder where this is all going to bring us??

For the GAA it is a no brainer, they have the proof that sustained investment in coaching and development of a counties underage structures is sucessful just look at Dublin as they stand today!!!

Outside of Tyrone and Kerry in football (with potentially Galway & Kildare also) where do we see a consistent developemt of talent at underage to challenge Dublin?

My own county Mayo can still produce the odd elite underage team but this is by accident rather than design as the money is just not there to sustain a 10 or 15 year plan!!

You could say why don't Mayo just cut the spending on the senior team but the majority of the funding for coaching at club and underage level comes on the back of the success of the senior team so it is a chicken and egg situation for the Mayo Co Board as it is I would guess in Roscommon,Leitrim,Clare,Cavan,Monaghan,Westmeath,Down,Armagh etc...

When the Dubs were struggling for success they had the GAA development money to kickstart the plans independent of the short term success of the senior football team!!

Paul Curran was half right when he wrote recently that counties need to invest in a longterm development plan rather than hire a big name county manager but without significant investment from the GAA as happened in Dublin then the counties only other revenue generator is a successful (in relative terms) senior intercounty teamwhich back most county boards into a corner!!

TheGreatest

Il respond to all points raised over the weekend, I currently need to work so I can pay taxes to assist people outside of Dublin with their amendiities.

But very quickly, it sounds like you need contact:

Your club county board delegate so they can raise these issues at county board level, proposals are put to a vote.

The county board then go to the provincial council.

Then the county board congress delegate can bring it to GAA congress.

Get a plan together, put the proposal through for funding.

I will be back.

From the Bunker

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 21, 2017, 12:28:02 PM
Il respond to all points raised over the weekend, I currently need to work so I can pay taxes to assist people outside of Dublin with their amendiities.

Your club county board delegate so they can raise these issues at county board level, proposals are put to a vote.

I will be back.

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"

Lar Naparka

I will be back.
Hey!  Whoa there!!
Isn't all that what I've been saying all along?
There's feck all use in complaining about a fait accompli.
Just bear in mind that a development plan, no matter how generous the coaching grants may be, won't turn most counties into worthy opposition for Dublin.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

The 33,000 Leitrims will never be able to compete with 1,300,000 Dublins even if everyone from 4 to 40 was coached every day of the week.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

I will be back.
Dublin didn't do any of that!!
they put a plan together and got Bertie to give them 1 million per year from the Sport Council, which they still get

Next proposal