Croke Park Pitch

Started by yellowcard, August 09, 2009, 02:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

The pitch doesn't look to have fully recovered from the re-laying. In fact it looks worse than last week.

Shortso79

Agree - alot of patches - looks pretty crap

comethekingdom

Lots of players slipping today although the tv commentators saying that it may be due to a wrong choice of boots !

Gnevin

Raining up here at the moment . If it hit Croker will do the pitch no favours
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

It looked bad up close last week but played well for the 3 games and from what I've read the players had no complaints so the pitch is 100%. The patchiness is due to the edges of the sods having 'freezer burn' from being in the fridge too long as a result of the protests.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

kickingmule

seems to be a poor sod today ... a drop a rain and players slipping all over the place.... even with players changing stiuds @ half-time?
its appears this is 100% grass, unlike the previous mixture ..... WHY?

Maguire01

Quote from: kickingmule on August 09, 2009, 05:41:41 PM
Are you basing that on what you can see on TV?

kickingmule

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 09, 2009, 06:26:25 PM
Quote from: kickingmule on August 09, 2009, 05:41:41 PM
Are you basing that on what you can see on TV?
nah i'm not! ... peter mckenna mentioned this on radio, when being inviewed days before last weeks double header, i thought it strange why he did'nt explain the reason for change, to that of previous turf.
today just brought back memories of the terrible surface that was first laid, in the new croke park and had to be dug up.
the footballers and hurlers were all over the place today, slipping and slidding .... and on numerous times the bounce of the ball was shocking..... i'm just surprised noboby highlighted this.

downgirl

Yea looked awful from where I was, seemed like it hadn't been laid down right at all!

Donnellys Hollow

A lot of the slipping and slideing is probably down to the wrong choice of boots by players. Most lads will wear the mouldies to avoid getting blisters. Apparently though, there is more of a give in the new pitch compared to the old pitch which was rock hard. I'd say more players will be opting to wear the tradional six stud boots on wet days in the future.

A lot of lads are wearing fancy soccer boots with blades which are next to useless in my experience. The old Puma kings or Adidas world cups should be your only option!!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

GalwayBayBoy

There were loads of lads slipping during the first half of the football today but I thought there was far less of it in the second half. Presumably there was a lot of boot changes during the break.

The Watcher Pat

I hear the Sinn Fein released a statement last week....

"Thanks to Donegal and Dublin for refusing to play on British soil"

There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

orangeman

Pitch was ok for football last week but hurling needs a great surface.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 09, 2009, 10:22:05 PM
A lot of the slipping and slideing is probably down to the wrong choice of boots by players. Most lads will wear the mouldies to avoid getting blisters. Apparently though, there is more of a give in the new pitch compared to the old pitch which was rock hard. I'd say more players will be opting to wear the tradional six stud boots on wet days in the future.

A lot of lads are wearing fancy soccer boots with blades which are next to useless in my experience. The old Puma kings or Adidas world cups should be your only option!!

Perfect illustration of what I'm on about above. I doubt Tom will be doing much slipping or slideing with them rugby style studs on!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on August 09, 2009, 10:37:15 PM
I hear the Sinn Fein released a statement last week....

"Thanks to Donegal and Dublin for refusing to play on British soil"

& Mayo  :'(