All Ireland U20 football championship 2024

Started by Blowitupref, April 27, 2023, 06:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

The better team won.

Down did very well to keep it that close. Kildare bigger, sharper, quicker... if not quite as ruthless until 63.57.

Hound

Outstanding Kildare. Time up, someone needed to have a shot, and what a point from the wing back off his weak foot. Superb, fully deserved this win.

The man of the match Kildare midfielder sounded like a pure Dub in the interview. Fair play to him!

Cunny Funt

Some way to win when it took Kildare so long without scoring.  Heart breaking defeat for Down but outscored 1-11 to 1-4 after the 25 minute and some of their best performers in the Ulster final weren't allowed to cause damage this evening.

grounded

Quote from: Nanderson on May 06, 2023, 08:25:16 PM
some balls to kick that winner when the pressure was on. Fair play Kildare. Also fair play to whoever marked Oisin Savage. May have had help with the sweeper but dont think savage got any meaningful touch from play until late in the game

Absolutely, be was marked out of it. Bitterly disappointed after this defeat.  Too many poorly aimed short passes which led to turnovers for Kildare, the last of which led to the winner. The best team won, but they made very hard work out of it.

Hound

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 06, 2023, 08:32:46 PM
Some way to win when it took Kildare so long without scoring.  Heart breaking defeat for Down but outscored 1-11 to 1-4 after the 25 minute and some of their best performers in the Ulster final weren't allowed to cause damage this evening.
The winning score reminded me of the Cassidy screamer for Donegal v Kildare, whenever that was. 2011 I think.

Nanderson

Quote from: grounded on May 06, 2023, 08:40:11 PM
some balls to kick that winner when the pressure was on. Fair play Kildare. Also fair play to whoever marked Oisin Savage. May have had help with the sweeper but dont think savage got any meaningful touch from play until late in the game

Absolutely, be was marked out of it. Bitterly disappointed after this defeat.  Too many poorly aimed short passes which led to turnovers for Kildare, the last of which led to the winner. The best team won, but they made very hard work out of it.
I thought the free out for Kildare after Down lost possession in the Kildare 21 was very harsh. Down had him surrounded but came from us turning the ball over then losing it immediately 

Blowitupref

All Ireland final confirmed for Saturday, May 13th at 14.45 in Breffni Park.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Hound

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 06, 2023, 09:28:13 PM
Ah, was hoping for Croker and I would have gone. One of the Sligo lads is a good mate of my son.

armaghniac

Breffni is fair enough and in a different province to the teams so not familiar to either of them
Big weekend next week for Sligo football, but it is a pity that everything is so compressed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on May 06, 2023, 09:37:52 PM
Breffni is fair enough and in a different province to the teams so not familiar to either of them
Big weekend next week for Sligo football, but it is a pity that everything is so compressed.
Don't question the groupthink

grounded

Quote from: Nanderson on May 06, 2023, 08:54:02 PM

I thought the free out for Kildare after Down lost possession in the Kildare 21 was very harsh. Down had him surrounded but came from us turning the ball over then losing it immediately

Kildare seemed to just have that momentum. Strangely it was after their midfielder got injured that their revival began. The big midfielder 22? That came on caused a lot of damage and probably should have started.
     As for us, i thought that bunch of players did us proud and gave us a little hope for the future. Today just a bridge too far. 

Itchy

Quote from: Hound on May 06, 2023, 09:37:19 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on May 06, 2023, 09:28:13 PM
Ah, was hoping for Croker and I would have gone. One of the Sligo lads is a good mate of my son.

You can still go, Cavan is 1.5 hrs from Dublin. It's not outer Mongolia.

Itchy

Quote from: armaghniac on May 06, 2023, 09:37:52 PM

The semi final between both teams last year was in Breffni so it was inevitable. Should be a good match.

Captain Obvious

The final I see is a double header with Cavan's first round Tailteann cup game

snoopdog

Quote from: grounded on May 06, 2023, 10:02:13 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on May 06, 2023, 08:54:02 PM

Kildare seemed to just have that momentum. Strangely it was after their midfielder got injured that their revival began. The big midfielder 22? That came on caused a lot of damage and probably should have started.
     As for us, i thought that bunch of players did us proud and gave us a little hope for the future. Today just a bridge too far.
I'd agree on the number 8 injury and the stoppage in play. Hope the lad isn't too bad. Not sure where he picked the injury up. Did he dislocate his shoulder.  2 very good teams sickening to lose it with last kick. But Kildare deserved it. Best of luck in the final. We now need to bring some of these lads into senior set up for the tailteann and blood them. Hopefully these lads will meet again in a few years time in croke Park.  Good crowd in Parnell pk tonight.