Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: David McKeown on February 03, 2019, 12:31:39 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 01, 2019, 08:18:20 PM
Looking at booking a package through Expedia to Vegas. Anyone have any experience booking with them?

The flights are via London and then direct. Anyone know what the situation is if the first flight (Dub-Lon) is delayed? Am I on my own or are the flights booked as a package? If I'm on my own, then I'll need to allow 4-5h layover in both directions

Booked with them a couple of times or more and thought them to be particularly good the only issue being that unlike some of these companies (travelocity virgin etc) they don't always cover resort fees at the hotels so there can be some considerable expense when you get there. That said the advertise that on their prices but not in their total prices.

As to flights if they are with codeshare partners which they usually are then you are covered for delays etc and the airline will rebook you accordingly. If they are not codeshare partners then things can be a lot trickier. I've no direct experience of Expedia not using codeshare partners but I do have experience of them when we had a codeshare flight delayed they were very good and made sure we had been rebooked and that our car hire and hotel were aware we'd be late. They also told us about food vouchers etc we were entitled too and who to claim them off.

Good man, thanks

Milltown Row2

Quote from: oakleafgael on February 05, 2019, 08:43:05 PM
Quote from: Rois on February 05, 2019, 08:37:14 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on February 05, 2019, 07:29:53 PM
Completly different one and all advice welcomed. Trip to Orlando being planned for July. 4 kids from 6 to 10 plus 2 adults. Flights are sorted but after advice and suggestions for villa accommodation in particular. Car hire pointers appreciated too.
Sign up to Avis Preferred and use discount code H811101. Avis is good because your OH can drive too, plus Preferred makes it really handy to pick up at airport.

Cheers Rois

Been 3 times with a group of 9, the villas that I found best were closer to the resort, less driving the better, though it's not difficult as most cars will have sat nav, that may be extra, if you've a portable one bring it with an update map..

Get the best car deal for you as a group, it may be cheaper..make sure enough space for the cases, we'd a Ford focus last time, sound..

most accommodations are gated which is great, you'll not be dandering around, though I did go for morning runs (was preparing for a marathon) .. the Florida mall is a day out from the parks, the retail outlets is another but I never got anything last time as the rate sucks and no bargains..

Only did one park per visit, i.e Disney one year and universal the next two as it's better for older kids.

We bought our tickets long before we went as by f**k it's expensive! If any kids are very young you can get the strollers as the parks are massive. The  water parks are great but Volcano bay is madness, we were there at crack of dawn, and there are ones that get in 30 minutes before you and snap up best seats,  the rides are great but you'll queue a while though there is a system where you can log in and get a specific time..

I'm sorta torn to which parks are best, all down to preference and the age group you're with. Lots of other stuff to do, did space centre last time, brilliant very impressive and thought my two girls (late teens) wouldn't like but they did.. went to the beach afterwards..

The  river rides looking for local wildlife. And into Kissemee old town.. I could go on plenty to do but we did it over three visits
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

David McKeown

Spent over a year of my life in Orlando and absolutely adore the place. Whole family heading back there in July. 20 of us going total so we are staying at the Reunion resort. Seems like a good spot. They offer apartments and have a small water park on site. I've not been before but it gets good reviews. I love the outlets and think the deals are fantastic particularly if you print the coupons out from their website before you go. Mall at Millenia another good spot for the shopping.

The one tip I have is try not to do everything in one go it's simply too much in the heat and you will end up not enjoying it.

My favourite parks are Holywood studios and Typhoon Lagoon

As to car hire the AVIS suggestion above is great. I'm also signed up to rental cars who offer great sales through out the year.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

AZOffaly

Thinking of Minorca or costa bravo this year for family holiday in July. Kids 12 and 6. Anyone been and could recommend holiday with nice pool and close enough to beach?.

AZOffaly

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 24, 2019, 10:46:49 AM
Thinking of Minorca or costa bravo this year for family holiday in July. Kids 12 and 6. Anyone been and could recommend holiday with nice pool and close enough to beach?.

Bump, anyone got any ideas?

Billys Boots

Menorca always great for small kids, but not brilliant for older kids.  They turn the streetlights off at 10pm.  You have to travel to the towns for a pint after that.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

TabClear

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47521609

Anyone travelling from Belfast International today? Queued out the door at 8am apparently. A guy in work just landed into the office having been supposed to be in London this morning. He said he arrived over an hour and a half before his flight and had fast track security but missed the flight.

I do a lot of travelling with work and BFS is an absolute joke of an airport in terms of security and the staff are some of the worst I have ever encountered. Compares very unfavourably with Dublin Airport

Boycey

I follow LordKilrooney (John Taylor) on Twitter for a bit of light entertainment and saw him mithering on about it earlier. 

trailer

Quote from: Insane Bolt on March 11, 2019, 12:56:38 PM
https://www.thejournal.ie/st-patricks-day-varadkar-minister-trips-4534240-Mar2019/?utm_source=shortlink

No crisis at home....carry on...junket time😂

Money well spent. Investment is what any country needs and crisis or no crisis this is worthwhile. When-else would a small nation get to be front and centre around the world?

Insane Bolt

Quote from: trailer on March 11, 2019, 01:03:29 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on March 11, 2019, 12:56:38 PM
https://www.thejournal.ie/st-patricks-day-varadkar-minister-trips-4534240-Mar2019/?utm_source=shortlink

No crisis at home....carry on...junket time😂

Money well spent. Investment is what any country needs and crisis or no crisis this is worthwhile. When-else would a small nation get to be front and centre around the world?

Hope you are right....look forward to all this investment.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: TabClear on March 11, 2019, 12:51:12 PM

Anyone travelling from Belfast International today? Queued out the door at 8am apparently. A guy in work just landed into the office having been supposed to be in London this morning. He said he arrived over an hour and a half before his flight and had fast track security but missed the flight.

I do a lot of travelling with work and BFS is an absolute joke of an airport in terms of security and the staff are some of the worst I have ever encountered. Compares very unfavourably with Dublin Airport

I flew to Amsterdam on 11 July last year. I arrived before 8 a.m. & security was already queued up right back to departures at that point. Took an hour to get up the stairs & through. If it was known about then,  why hasn't something been done about it or, alternatively, why haven't a few heads rolled for it, if people can't do the job they're paid to do? Mind you, it doesn't help that significant numbers approach airport security like it's the first time in their life they have ever gone through the process.

TabClear

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on March 11, 2019, 01:15:15 PM

I flew to Amsterdam on 11 July last year. I arrived before 8 a.m. & security was already queued up right back to departures at that point. Took an hour to get up the stairs & through. If it was known about then,  why hasn't something been done about it or, alternatively, why haven't a few heads rolled for it, if people can't do the job they're paid to do? Mind you, it doesn't help that significant numbers approach airport security like it's the first time in their life they have ever gone through the process.

Agree with this but again the staff dont help. Every other airport you will have people out walking the lines telling people to take of belts/shoes/tablets etc well in advance of getting to the scanners. In BFS the staff seem to take personal pleasure in sending people back to do x or y only after they are walking through the metal detector or put the trays on the conveyor. Either way you are right, why have senior management not sorted this.

A prime example of under investment in both staff and technology.

playwiththewind1st

They say they are increasing the number of search lanes to 8...but to enable them to do so, they have to go down to 5 first of all? Even if they had 8, it would be a cheek calling themselves an "international" airport. Even the City is better. Do they even stop to think why people willingly go to Dublin? Maybe it's  because security is better & they have some flights that actually go to a few places. Belfast "International" is a complete shambles.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: TabClear on March 11, 2019, 01:33:48 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on March 11, 2019, 01:15:15 PM

Agree with this but again the staff dont help. Every other airport you will have people out walking the lines telling people to take of belts/shoes/tablets etc well in advance of getting to the scanners. In BFS the staff seem to take personal pleasure in sending people back to do x or y only after they are walking through the metal detector or put the trays on the conveyor. Either way you are right, why have senior management not sorted this.

A prime example of under investment in both staff and technology.
I would regularly travel from here to Edinburgh and the last time going across I had to apologetically barge my way through the queues otherwise I was missing my flight. Yes, I could have left earlier but I didn't think it would be as bad. I saw a kid of about 3 getting guldered at by a clipboard Nazi as he was skipping under the retractable belt barrier. The kid was only playing about but this hero made a point of coming over and remonstrating with the parents. It's a terrible kip and best avoided.