Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

It really shows the vintage of some of you that you have such an obsession with a band last relevant about two decades ago.

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on December 26, 2018, 12:43:56 PM
It really shows the vintage of some of you that you have such an obsession with a band last relevant about two decades ago.

Nothing stopping you starting a thread on s club 7 or the cheeky girls

seafoid

This was good

@SkyNews
Bono does Christmas busking for homeless in Dublin
(link: http://news.sky.com/story/bono-does-christmas-busking-for-homeless-in-dublin-11591095)

Old Holborn✘
@Holbornlolz

Before heading off to one of his 11 homes...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eamonnca1

Can we just re-name this thread "Begrudgers R Us?"

magpie seanie

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 26, 2018, 04:28:47 PM

And hypocrisy....lashings of that going round.

So a major global business relocates to suit its tax affairs - and we're suddenly against this? As Irish people who offer the most liberal corporation tax regime in Europe and the world? As far as I'm aware Bono and his band pay their personal taxes in this country.....unlike the likes of hero JP McManus and others who don't suffer a percentage of the abuse. If ye want U2's global business to pay "it's fair share" what about Google, Facebook, Apple et al? Pure bullshit lads and lassies. How should we decide where Google pay their taxes - where their owner or founder is from? Is that how tax law should be? Absolute rubbish talked about this.

This whole tax thing is just a convenient stick to beat someone who publicises inconvenient truths with.

Eamonnca1

Indeed. U2 makes most of their money outside the country anyway. They're a business, not a charity, and they have as much right to lower their tax bill as any business. They pay what they owe. The U2 hatred and Bono-bashing has nothing to do with taxes and everything to do with traditional Irish begrudgery for anyone who succeeded. As someone once said to me, "nobody will try to drag you back down into the hole you crawled out of quicker than the Irish."

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 26, 2018, 10:08:22 PM
Indeed. U2 makes most of their money outside the country anyway. They're a business, not a charity, and they have as much right to lower their tax bill as any business. They pay what they owe. The U2 hatred and Bono-bashing has nothing to do with taxes and everything to do with traditional Irish begrudgery for anyone who succeeded. As someone once said to me, "nobody will try to drag you back down into the hole you crawled out of quicker than the Irish."

Not saying it's right or wrong but its not just the Irish that has hatred for Bono. That Southpark episode anyone?

Rossfan

We don't like sanctimonious hypocritical pricks in this Country.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

"Sanctimonious hypocritical p***k" is Hiberno-English for "successful person."

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on December 26, 2018, 11:02:29 PM
We don't like sanctimonious hypocritical pricks in this Country.

Why are you here, so?

armaghniac

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 26, 2018, 05:17:07 PM

So a major global business relocates to suit its tax affairs - and we're suddenly against this? As Irish people who offer the most liberal corporation tax regime in Europe and the world? As far as I'm aware Bono and his band pay their personal taxes in this country.....unlike the likes of hero JP McManus and others who don't suffer a percentage of the abuse. If ye want U2's global business to pay "it's fair share" what about Google, Facebook, Apple et al? Pure bullshit lads and lassies. How should we decide where Google pay their taxes - where their owner or founder is from? Is that how tax law should be? Absolute rubbish talked about this.

This whole tax thing is just a convenient stick to beat someone who publicises inconvenient truths with.

Well said.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Whether bono pays his taxes or not, I couldn't give a shit. He's just a knob.

Itchy

I don't agree with the tax thing but that aside Bono is a hypocritical p***k, a knob and a patronising ass. He talks about helping the poor but counts mass murderers amongst his friends. People who go to see him play music have to put up with his political lectures. It's not begrudgery it's fact. I personally admire people who do well for themselves in their business or careers but this is different.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 26, 2018, 05:17:07 PM

Well said Seanie, nail hit firmly on the head.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Itchy on December 28, 2018, 10:26:03 AM
I don't agree with the tax thing but that aside Bono is a hypocritical p***k, a knob and a patronising ass. He talks about helping the poor but counts mass murderers amongst his friends. People who go to see him play music have to put up with his political lectures. It's not begrudgery it's fact. I personally admire people who do well for themselves in their business or careers but this is different.

Take a a few seconds to read what you have posted and how it applies to quite a few others in Ireland.

No one forces anyone to go along to a U2 concert, if you don'† like the 'lectures' sit at home and listen to the music without the commentary you despise.