Leinster Minor Football Championship 2019

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, April 18, 2019, 12:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Leinster MFC Round 1
Tuesday, April 23rd

Longford v Westmeath           Pearse Park (7.00pm)
Wexford v Offaly                   Innovate Wexford Park (7.00pm)       
Kilkenny v Louth                   Nowlan Park (7.00pm)
Kildare v Wicklow                  Newbridge (7.00pm)
Dublin v Meath                     Parnell Park (7.30pm)                               
Carlow v Laois                      Carlow IT (7.30pm)
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Minor boss Phelan hoping to build 'positivity around Laois football' ahead of championship opener
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/04/22/minor-boss-phelan-hoping-to-build-positivity-around-laois-football-ahead-of-championship-opener/

Laois Minor Team v Carlow                         

Michael O'Connell (Portlaoise)

Nathan Little (Courtwood), Sean Greene (Emo), Eddie Critchley (Portlaoise)
Jamie Kelly (St Joseph's), Eamonn Delaney (Stradbally), Mark Kehoe (Spink)

Conor Goode (Stradbally), Ben Brennan (Portlaoise)

Rioghan Murphy (Portarlington), Colin Dunne (Arles-Killeen), Paul O'Flynn (Courtwood)
Oisin Hooney (St Joseph's), Ciaran Burke (Crettyard), Brian Whelan (Ballyroan-Abbey)

SCFC

Have to admit to knowing absolutely nothing about this age group. What are the chances of a decent run in Leinster, does anyone know?
As an aside, that's a famous surname at number 4. Is he anything to Pat Critchley?

clonadmad

Quote from: SCFC on April 23, 2019, 10:32:56 AM
Have to admit to knowing absolutely nothing about this age group. What are the chances of a decent run in Leinster, does anyone know?
As an aside, that's a famous surname at number 4. Is he anything to Pat Critchley?

Nephew

Target Man

Quote from: SCFC on April 23, 2019, 10:32:56 AM

He's a nephew.

They got a pretty good draw and there are some very good Footballers on that team so I'd be optimistic we can get out of group at least

Chrimtain

For the second successive year we have been unable to beat Carlow at this level.  >:( >:( >:(

clonadmad

Quote from: Chrimtain on April 23, 2019, 10:22:16 PM
For the second successive year we have been unable to beat Carlow at this level.  >:( >:( >:(

Carlow will be kicking themselves,they butchered a few goal chances

They also seemed a good bit fitter than our lads

Junior Ex Laoistalk

We were poor enough tonight, very lucky to get out with a draw. Some good footballers but not very good team players. The forwards in particular found it hard to do the simple things like putting a string of passes together and more often than not the final pass was depressingly poor.

As has been said Carlow were way fitter than us and far cleverer but poor finishing from them kept us in it and we snuck an undeserved draw in the end. Hopefully we'll improve as we go on because if we don't we wont be involved in the business end later on. Very disappointing display...

Chrimtain

Is it too much to expect that we should be doing better at this level?

When in the lead up to this match the team manager suggests that next year's team will be better prepared, you know you are in trouble!

It has been said that we did not look fit last night. That is unacceptable.

GAA-SMART

Next years team will be better prepeared ? why wasnt this team prepared properly? He has had two years now. I think we should be doing better- its hardly a great advertisment for te future struggling with Carlow two years running. On the other side you have Dublin and Meath scoring 4-10 to 2-10 each, they be hard bet along with Kildare

GAA-SMART

How does the Championship work- 3 groups of 4? Who qualfies ect

Oblivious

Yet again lets all go with the negatives first. Did they play well no, could they play better yes.

They could have been gone at half time with Carlow missing a few opportunities to score a couple of goals and put the game beyond us. They seemed very nervous which is understandable as they are under 17 and some only 16 years of age. They played away from home on a narrow pitch,(the same for both teams I know) but its still home advantage to Carlow.

The ref was pretty poor towards Laois and gave them some very soft frees which led to scores. Certainly in the build up in the friendly matches they played better so possibly its first match nerves. They have also lost a couple of big players through Injury. It takes a lot to come back from 3 points down with 5 minutes left but I don't see that in any threads above.

Can you also please stop comparing Laois to Dublin, Kildare and Meath, Population numbers and player participation is completely different. This comparison may have been relevant a number of years ago. Its so negative bemoaning the gulf between the counties. You have to set realistic targets which I am sure the management and the County board are doing.   

Its interesting that people can suggest a lack of fitness . The squad have been involved in the preparation since last September/October and finished Stronger than Carlow with the last three points. It seems to be the default of posters. Knockbeg college have done well recently so those lads would also be well drilled fit and well prepared. Some said last year that the team seemed a bit burnout for the campaign so again no one has all the answers.       

Success would be getting out of the group and possibly a semi-final berth and with a bit of momentum who knows. The next match is the biggie and with home advantage and some good  support this may give them an extra 10%  The naysayers and serial moaners can stand in the stands with hurls and do the usual.     

GAA-SMART

Quote from: Oblivious on April 24, 2019, 09:22:29 AM
Yet again lets all go with the negatives first. Did they play well no, could they play better yes.

They could have been gone at half time with Carlow missing a few opportunities to score a couple of goals and put the game beyond us. They seemed very nervous which is understandable as they are under 17 and some only 16 years of age. They played away from home on a narrow pitch,(the same for both teams I know) but its still home advantage to Carlow.

The ref was pretty poor towards Laois and gave them some very soft frees which led to scores. Certainly in the build up in the friendly matches they played better so possibly its first match nerves. They have also lost a couple of big players through Injury. It takes a lot to come back from 3 points down with 5 minutes left but I don't see that in any threads above.

Can you also please stop comparing Laois to Dublin, Kildare and Meath, Population numbers and player participation is completely different. This comparison may have been relevant a number of years ago. Its so negative bemoaning the gulf between the counties. You have to set realistic targets which I am sure the management and the County board are doing.   

Its interesting that people can suggest a lack of fitness . The squad have been involved in the preparation since last September/October and finished Stronger than Carlow with the last three points. It seems to be the default of posters. Knockbeg college have done well recently so those lads would also be well drilled fit and well prepared. Some said last year that the team seemed a bit burnout for the campaign so again no one has all the answers.       

Success would be getting out of the group and possibly a semi-final berth and with a bit of momentum who knows. The next match is the biggie and with home advantage and some good  support this may give them an extra 10%  The naysayers and serial moaners can stand in the stands with hurls and do the usual.     

Just to be clear I wasnt being negative- suggesting the team could do better is not a negative, its a positive. Also dont accept you saying stop comparing to Dublin, Meath, Kildare if youre happy with always being the middle of the road fair enough but I wouldnt be on that frame of mind at all. Hopefully over the next few years we will be up at that level and other teams can start comparing against Laois. We have some good development squad teams coming hopefully.

Oblivious

I note your comments, the issue is in a lot of cases you cant legislate for injuries and the squad had two significant  injures prior to last night
and possibly another injured player from last nights game. The Laois squad would not have the depth of players that are available in other larger counties. Dublin could have a full squad of 17 year olds up to 60-80 in number prior to any championship run and can slot players in and rotate when required.

I would be delighted to see any County copying Laois success in the future if that was to happen and understand that great work is happening in some other underage teams but this could be a few years away and some of the other underage teams will battle against other sports like soccer and rugby when their child is more developed physically. This is not as relevant in Dublin where a lot of players choose to play football in isolation as opposed to a number of sports. I have seen a number of clubs having fantastic juvenile teams and then struggle at older age groups with player burnout fatigue and players just giving up or chosing to play another sport .

Maybe credit should be given to Carlow as they should have won the game and they have a few exceptional players, we will see after the remaining matches to accurately reflect on the state of Laois football. I still prefer a glass to be half full.