The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 12, 2018, 10:29:15 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 11, 2018, 09:38:06 PM
That will do as i had that game down as 2-1 Croatia win. England's biggest problem was a lack of quality manager. None of the top 6 teams in the Premier league would have Gareth Southgate as manager.

They might after this summer.

None of them would have any manager from any of the last 4. Or even last 8 I would say. Using club football as any kind of a measure is pointless. Like someone else here saying that England wouldn't win the Premier League. Of course they wouldn't, but why does it matter? Look back through previous World Cups and they are littered with successful teams who were mediocre when measured against the club game. International football should be measured against its self, nothing else. Southgate got this England team to a semi final, which was better than par given the squad they have. For sure, they were fortunate with how the draw panned out, but they still did well. Of course, when the dust settles they will realise that they may be waiting a long time to get a better chance.

Solo_run

Do England move up in the World Rankings even though they have not beaten a single team above them?

shark

Quote from: Solo_run on July 12, 2018, 10:58:01 AM
Do England move up in the World Rankings even though they have not beaten a single team above them?

Belgium (by beating Brazil) are the only team currently above them who you can't say that about. England will certainly move up. Not that it matters a whole lot in the short term. Seedings for Euro draw is determined by Nations Cup performance.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: shark on July 12, 2018, 10:38:57 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on July 12, 2018, 10:29:15 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 11, 2018, 09:38:06 PM
That will do as i had that game down as 2-1 Croatia win. England's biggest problem was a lack of quality manager. None of the top 6 teams in the Premier league would have Gareth Southgate as manager.

They might after this summer.

None of them would have any manager from any of the last 4. Or even last 8 I would say. Using club football as any kind of a measure is pointless. Like someone else here saying that England wouldn't win the Premier League. Of course they wouldn't, but why does it matter? Look back through previous World Cups and they are littered with successful teams who were mediocre when measured against the club game. International football should be measured against its self, nothing else. Southgate got this England team to a semi final, which was better than par given the squad they have. For sure, they were fortunate with how the draw panned out, but they still did well. Of course, when the dust settles they will realise that they may be waiting a long time to get a better chance.

Big Sam could have led England to the semi finals this summer. More or less the same tactics of not looking for any control of the ball in the middle of the park, hoof it forward and rely on set pieces to score. They will never get a better chance to reach a final but France would have beaten them anyway.

JPGJOHNNYG

Semi final was great for them but break it down they beat panama tunisia and sweden, they drew with colombia and lost to Croatia and Belgium. Not being funny but the current Ireland team which is crap could have done that. Italia 90 was the same they were shit played one good game against the Germans lost on penalties and yet everyone remembers it as some great achievment. England are kidding themselves if they think this run is a sign of great things to come.

longballin

Keane was right was a great opportunity to get to a World Cup final, they tots bottled it. Is a very long way back to there.

seafoid

I think England were more solid psychologically this time. They can build on it.
France are very impressive. It would be amazing if Croatia won. Such a small country.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2018, 12:17:14 PM
I think England were more solid psychologically this time. They can build on it.
France are very impressive. It would be amazing if Croatia won. Such a small country.

Maybe so, but Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina etc won't all be as bad again in the same tournament. Nor will England get as handy a draw again.

This was a once in a lifetime opportunity for Engerland. Let's hope we never have to worry about them ever getting close again.

Solo_run

Doesn't really matter who England get, they will always come undone. Why? Because they are inherently arrogant.

Look at Euro 2016  they thought Iceland would be a cake walk. Lost.
WC 2018 - They believed they had the easy route and Croatia will be too tired and will not be able to keep up. We all agree England beat nobodies in world football that is all there is to it.

AQMP

Quote from: BennyCake on July 12, 2018, 12:32:59 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2018, 12:17:14 PM

Maybe so, but Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina etc won't all be as bad again in the same tournament. Nor will England get as handy a draw again.

This was a once in a lifetime opportunity for Engerland. Let's hope we never have to worry about them ever getting close again.

I agree.  I don't think they'll get as good a chance for a long time.

England over achieved here and it reminds me of Ireland in Italia 90.  Most of us remember it for the craic, the excuse for a few drinks and a bit of a sing song, we got to the quarters.  Brilliant.  Some pundits mistook this a a sign we were one of the good teams now and it would always be like this.  I get the impression that some of the English pundits now think Eng are back in the big time.

I like what Southgate is trying to do with this Eng team and he comes across as a likeable, intelligent character.  But one of the problems for England is that it's in their DNA to value a player who puts in a good shift (e.g. Henderson) more than a fancy dan ball player, one who might take the ball past an opponent and make a killer pass.  There remains little creativity in this England side and in English players generally.

BennyCake

England have never given Iceland credit for that win. It's like it's beneath England to admit that they, who created football, lost to a squad of hairy fellas from the Arctic. Iceland were clearly the better team. Workrate, intensity, defending, passing etc. They never allowed England to play.

Insane Bolt

For England to improve I feel they have to restrict the number of overseas players in any team in the premiership and championship. Be interesting to see how Brexit will affect players coming here, or do they get special treatment?

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/11/tears-pain-young-england-team-world-cup-croatia#img-1

For 20 minutes this felt like England's game. On the touchline Gareth Southgate looked calm, striding about in his waistcoat, stroking his whiskery chin and resembling once again a very clever cartoon badger who drives an old-fashioned car and plays the violin.

Above all, this has been a dreamy, all-consuming piece of escapism. In tough times back home football has felt like a warm embrace, like a rush of chemical pleasure, like the best night out you've had in ages.

But it can still provide something uplifting. It is hard not to feel part of the enthusiasm for this team comes from a feeling of relief. A lot of young English people have been told for the last few years that times are hard, that their lives are set one way and that things were always, always better in the past.

Watching this England team – and yes, it is of course just a football team – has seemed to provide a different kind of script. A young, unheralded bunch of players have gone further than those before who were more obviously talented, more golden, more authentic, finding ways to succeed through teamwork and energy and a refusal to be cowed.

Sport is a chimera, it drags stories along in its wake. Champions are often blackguards. Losers are often nice. Sport and its storylines are just a decoration, a picture on the wall.

seafoid

Where England go depends on what the FA do.
Germany was trashed in 1945  . West Germany  didn't take part in the 1950 world cup cos the counrry was still  banjaxed. In 1954 West Germany were champions.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Insane Bolt on July 12, 2018, 12:54:07 PM
For England to improve I feel they have to restrict the number of overseas players in any team in the premiership and championship. Be interesting to see how Brexit will affect players coming here, or do they get special treatment?

its the opposite, their players have to play in other countries to improve. but they wont because thats uncomfortable, and they always stay in their comfort zone. division 2 in france spain or germany would improve the technique of any player, in england its just kick and rush all the time.