The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

I hope you didn't pay 100 quid for a ticket to a game like that. It better have been a complimentart ticket. No point paying to see a non contest.

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hoof Hearted

are you for the "Help for Heroes" match next Saturday ? It' s for a good cause  :)
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 26, 2011, 10:15:12 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on November 26, 2011, 10:03:09 PM
Watching Munster tonight Archer at tight head has been good enough and Zebon on the wing has the athleticism to make an impact and has looked like breaking away from the pack at times tonight.

is the magners league a bit of a joke ? they all had to play without their World cup players, then they had the H Cup, now they play players that no one ever heard of !! When does this comp become serious ?

It's important for development purposes. Leinster have been very good at this in the past. Munster used to play the old guys, now they are starting to blood newbies as well. I was inside there on Saturday, and it was good to see a young Munster team playing decent stuff. They made a lot of mistakes, but the scrum was solid, they turned ball over, and scored a few nice tries. Good to see Luke O'Dea and Simon Zebo (not Zebon) scoring too. Chambers tried to do the fancy stuff too often, but overall I was happy with the performance and the result.

Capt Pat

That was a typing mistake on the spelling of Zebo. I think he should be included on the wing against the Scarlets in the heino. He would match up well with opposite George North.

Celt_Man

On the cards but still sad to hear...

Flannery retires from rugby, O'Leary set to move to London Irish at end of season

Munster and Ireland hooker Jerry Flannery has announced his retirement from all rugby with immediate effect, while Tomás O'Leary is to leave the province for the Aviva Premiership club London Irish.

Grand Slam and two-time Heineken Cup winner Flannery announced the decision before Munster training at the University of Limerick this morning.

O'Leary, who was recently linked with French Top 14 club Perpignan, is to join London Irish on a three-year deal at the end of the season.

Conor Murray has been the number one scrum-half at Munster this season, while Duncan Williams recently signed a contract extension with Munster and Peter Stringer is due to return in May.

Despite missing out on selection in Ireland's last Rugby World Cup squad, O'Leary was called up for the final two games in the RBS 6 Nations by head coach Declan Kidney after an injury to Murray.

He had 30-minute appearances off the bench in the win over Scotland and last Saturday's heavy defeat to England.

Flannery's announcement brings an end to a highly decorated and successful career.

Capped 41 times by Ireland, the 33-year-old was a member of the Rugby World Cup squad that travelled to New Zealand five months ago but had to return home after a calf injury flared up.

The has troubled the player for two years. He rehabilitated from that but has struggled with a back problem this season.

Known for his superb lineout throw and ball-carrying, the St Munchin's graduate and Shannon clubman joined Connacht in 2001 before moving to Munster in 2003.

He played in four of the five matches when Ireland won the RBS 6 Nations Grand Slam in 2009 and was also a key player in Munster's Heineken Cup victories in 2006 and 2008.

He also won the Triple Crown with Ireland in 2006, was a member of Ireland's 2007 Rugby World Cup squad and toured South Africa with the Lions in 2009.

He was also an influential member of Shannon's 2002 All-Ireland League winning side. He is the owner of a pub in Limerick.

Flannery told munsterrugby.ie: "I'm very sad to have to announce my immediate retirement from rugby due to injury. Since my injury at the 2011 World Cup, I've struggled to regain the level of fitness required to play at this level and after consulting with the medical staff at Munster and at Ireland I am announcing my retirement with immediate effect.

"I would like to thank all the medical staff who have worked so hard on my behalf and shown great patience in dealing with me. I feel incredibly privileged to have played with so many great players with Munster and with Ireland.

To train hard and win trophies for Munster and Ireland alongside some of my best friends has been an amazing experience.

"I'm incredibly grateful for all the opportunities rugby has given me to date and I would like to thank all my friends, family, coaches and teammates for their support along the way.

"Finally I would like to thank all the Munster and Irish rugby fans who I have been so proud to represent over the the course of my career, your level of support has been amazing and i can never thank you all enough. It's been emotional!"

Commenting on Flannery's decision, Munster Chief Executive Garrett Fitzgerald said: "I have known Jerry since his time playing rugby with St Munchin's. At that stage, he was identified as a future Munster and Ireland player and he has delivered in no uncertain manner.

"His attitude and approach always meant that he was destined for success as was proven with his selection for the Lions in 2009, his contribution to Ireland's 2009 Grand Slam success and winning two Heineken Cup medals with Munster.

"An example to all young players in what hard work and dedication can achieve and more so in how he has remained positive through adversity when it would have been easy to seek pity.

"I know he will continue to contribute to rugby in Munster and I wish him well in his future career and business."

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

AZOffaly

It is sad to hear, and he's had a dog time with injuries. He was a lad that got a lot of joint and muscle type injuries and I always thought (even though Sports Scientists will probably shoot me for saying it) that his body was just not strong enough to take the muscle that he was putting on, and the type of collisions he was in. He had a huge muscle mass, but I think his wiring, his ligaments, tendons, cartilage, bones etc were not at the same physiological level.

Dinny Breen

Remember him from his Galwegians days, had a mate there and we couldn't believe the amount of extra training he did (hours spent throwing at the goal-post whilst lying on his back). His commitment and attitude was brilliant, a great servant and a testament to hard work and never been afraid to put his body on the line..

His hair was very important to him though...
#newbridgeornowhere

trileacman

Great thrower, best technique of any no.2 iv'e seen. Heard he was great craic too, more so than any of the other rugby lads who were all a bit serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ixoDI7Lfk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HsleEP7p4A

Two of his greatest moments.  ;D
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

orangeman

Flannery was one scary boy. I'd have hated to be in a scrum with him.

johnneycool

Quote from: orangeman on March 21, 2012, 11:17:23 PM
Flannery was one scary boy. I'd have hated to be in a scrum with him.

Sad to see anyone overcome by injury, but it seems all too common in the world of professional rugby.

He took up the mantle of the slightly mad hooker image from Keith Wood, but a better line out thrower.

I wonder if London Irish are wondering about their new signing after Saturdays debacle??

Celt_Man

Dirty bastard...  Not long enough

England's Dylan Hartley has been banned for eight weeks after been found guilty of biting Ireland's Stephen Ferris at Twickenham

England's Dylan Hartley has been suspended for eight weeks after he was cited for biting the finger of flanker Stephen Ferris during the 30-9 RBS 6 Nations victory over Ireland on St Patrick's Day.

The Northampton hooker was found guilty of committing an act "contrary to good sportsmanship", following a formal complaint by Ferris.

A statement released from the IRB confirmed the ban, stating: "Dylan Hartley, England Hooker, was today suspended for 8 weeks for biting an opponent contrary to IRB Law 10.4(m) "acts contrary to good sportsmanship."

Hartley will be available for England's summer tour to South Africa after the disciplinary hearing suspended him for eight weeks.

The Six Nations hearing upheld the citing and issued a ban that will force him to miss the remainder of Northampton's season but enable him to play in the first Test against the Springboks on 9 June.

The statement continued: "The Disciplinary Committee considered the available evidence before them and listened to the player, his legal representative, as well as Jim Mallinder (Director of Rugby, Northampton) and Graham Rowntree (Forwards Coach, England). The Disciplinary Committee also listened to the evidence of Stephen Ferris by video link.

"The Disciplinary Committee, in upholding the citing for foul play, decided that the offence merited a low entry point in the IRB's table of sanctions and allowed mitigation of four weeks.

"Dylan Hartley's period of suspension ends on 13 May 2012, and he is free to play on 14 May 2012. He has the right of appeal."

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Denn Forever

Would this not be classed as "the dark arts of the front row" that was eulogised in times passed?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

screenexile

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 27, 2012, 04:42:08 PM
Dirty b**tard...  Not long enough

England's Dylan Hartley has been banned for eight weeks after been found guilty of biting Ireland's Stephen Ferris at Twickenham

England's Dylan Hartley has been suspended for eight weeks after he was cited for biting the finger of flanker Stephen Ferris during the 30-9 RBS 6 Nations victory over Ireland on St Patrick's Day.

The Northampton hooker was found guilty of committing an act "contrary to good sportsmanship", following a formal complaint by Ferris.

A statement released from the IRB confirmed the ban, stating: "Dylan Hartley, England Hooker, was today suspended for 8 weeks for biting an opponent contrary to IRB Law 10.4(m) "acts contrary to good sportsmanship."

Hartley will be available for England's summer tour to South Africa after the disciplinary hearing suspended him for eight weeks.

The Six Nations hearing upheld the citing and issued a ban that will force him to miss the remainder of Northampton's season but enable him to play in the first Test against the Springboks on 9 June.

The statement continued: "The Disciplinary Committee considered the available evidence before them and listened to the player, his legal representative, as well as Jim Mallinder (Director of Rugby, Northampton) and Graham Rowntree (Forwards Coach, England). The Disciplinary Committee also listened to the evidence of Stephen Ferris by video link.

"The Disciplinary Committee, in upholding the citing for foul play, decided that the offence merited a low entry point in the IRB's table of sanctions and allowed mitigation of four weeks.

"Dylan Hartley's period of suspension ends on 13 May 2012, and he is free to play on 14 May 2012. He has the right of appeal."

What a sc**bag! How can this only be 8 weeks? Surely biting should carry a lengthier ban than that it's one of the lowest things somebody can do and highly dangerous!!