Leinster SFC

Started by Catch and Kick, May 18, 2017, 11:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I believe they cleared the first hurdle easily enough.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

I heard Meath have hatched a plan to nobble the Kildare team:

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

Word on the street is Kildare are going with a big, physical full forward line and the midfielders have been told to hoof it in nice & early.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Rumour has it the whole Kildare panel have the trots.

Croí na hÉireann

Unconfirmed reports that football officially died in O'Connor Park yesterday, turgid stuff from both sides. People were leaving the ground with time not up and it neck and neck it was that bad. Enough was clearly enough. Only Ger Egan for Westmeath and Guilfoyle for Offaly can take any credit from the game, the rest were stuck to the ground. Gates in Cusack Park should be left open next Saturday on the off chance anyone wants to wander in, maybe try and entice people in with a free ticket for the half time draw, Christ on a bike. And the next time that ref is handed a whistle it should be attached to the end of a boot and driven at his hole.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

And 9,000 at it as well. I still remember that game where Dessie Dolan got Sullivan sent off as the worst example of two teams constrained by fear and basically playing 13 or 14 behind the ball, without having any clue how to effectively break when they got the inevitable turnover.

Yesterdays was apparently worse.

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 12, 2017, 12:48:40 PM
Unconfirmed reports that football officially died in O'Connor Park yesterday, turgid stuff from both sides. People were leaving the ground with time not up and it neck and neck it was that bad. Enough was clearly enough. Only Ger Egan for Westmeath and Guilfoyle for Offaly can take any credit from the game, the rest were stuck to the ground. Gates in Cusack Park should be left open next Saturday on the off chance anyone wants to wander in, maybe try and entice people in with a free ticket for the half time draw, Christ on a bike. And the next time that ref is handed a whistle it should be attached to the end of a boot and driven at his hole.

LOL - even the fellow on the official Westmeath twitter account had enough at one stage during the game.

Rossfan

Time to amalgamate LaoisOffalyWestmeath!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on June 12, 2017, 02:11:08 PM
Time to amalgamate LaoisOffalyWestmeath!!

That's low.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2017, 12:53:29 PM
And 9,000 at it as well. I still remember that game where Dessie Dolan got Sullivan sent off as the worst example of two teams constrained by fear and basically playing 13 or 14 behind the ball, without having any clue how to effectively break when they got the inevitable turnover.

Yesterdays was apparently worse.

Light years between the 2 games, that was 2008 when Offaly attempted to duplicate a system Westmeath had been working on all league. That wasn't a bad game at all, well from a Westmeath perspective anyway as we got some tasty points, especially towards the end. Offaly did indeed have no clue how to transition but when Westmeath got the ball back, Natchie and Healy were gone down the wings looking for the quick outlet ball. Offaly keeping the extra bodies negated how often we could feed them with ball though, which slowed the game down.

Yesterdays was turgid, both teams had a fear of winning. Both played a sweeper right in front of a deep lying 2 man full forward line with a swirling gale force wind at their backs.

SS, the Westmeath twitter account offered a restrained view of the game. The gate should have been stormed at full time and everyone given a refund.

AZOffaly

Ah that was a horrendous game. I was with a few of my Westmeath friends, and we all couldn't get over it. It was horrible shite. If yesterday's was worse!!!

Plain of the Herbs

Died?  It was strangled, murdered, whatever you want.  Offaly did so well playing into the breze in the first half they decided to play the ball into the wind in the second half too with a series of back passes.

I gave up watching soccer because i got tired of teams stroking the ball around in their own half, with no interest in crossing the half way line. There were over 8k present for the agony in the garden that was Bord na Móna Park yesterday. The only ones looking forward to the replay are those who couldn't go.
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 12, 2017, 12:48:40 PM

Croí na hÉireann

Bit of life breathed back in football in Cusack Park Saturday, the fine day a deciding factor. Full time sweepers and bad weather should be mutually exclusive. Westmeath were by far the better team but were only up 4 points at half time due to some wayward shooting. There was only 3 in it with 15 minutes to go and while we always looked like we had enough to steer home, Offaly going down to 14 sealed the deal. We really stretched them in a way we didn't in Tullamore and as a result we ran in 3 handy goals. Maybe drawing in Tullamore wasn't the worst thing as we got another competitive game under our belts before we get to stand in front of the juggernaut. The injuries to Halloway in particular, McCormack and Glennon are a serious blow although Frankie was one of our better players when he came on. Hopefully we give a good account of ourselves Sunday.

Dire Ear