A5 WTC (New Road from Aughnacloy to Derry)

Started by Hereiam, June 08, 2009, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Take Your Points

Don't think it is much worse than the way that SF politicians have treated the people of Omagh, first by taking away their acute hospital to buy votes in Fermanagh/South Tyrone (the first acute hospital to be opened and closed within less than a decade or simply the first acute hospital that cannot deal with acute cases), then by defying logic and moving the A5 construction to Derry instead of continuing the existing dual carriageway from Ballygawley to Omagh and into the heart of the West to buy some votes for the party in the maiden city and finally by diverting any hope of future funding for this stretch of the A5 by starting the A6 in the north of the lough where infrastructure has always been to the higher standard.  Just shows how they believe that they can treat their West Tyrone voters and they will never turn against them at the ballot box.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on June 26, 2016, 01:13:13 PM
There mightnt be as much money to go around generally.
Brexit could cost the UK 10% of GDP
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

laoislad

I have to drive from Dublin to Letterkenny tomorrow.  Am I better going the A5 road from Aughnacloy or would the Cavan Enniskillen road be better? Would probably be hitting Aughnacloy around 8am if I was going that way.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on November 21, 2016, 08:10:45 PM
I have to drive from Dublin to Letterkenny tomorrow.  Am I better going the A5 road from Aughnacloy or would the Cavan Enniskillen road be better? Would probably be hitting Aughnacloy around 8am if I was going that way.
Onto the N2 at Ardee and on up the road to Aughnacloy and on to Omagh and Strabane.

laoislad

Good road? Busy? Will I need my passport...
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

Quote from: laoislad on November 21, 2016, 08:52:53 PM
Good road? Busy? Will I need my passport...

The N2 is the way forward. If you are intrepid, as many are, you can take the M1 to Dundalk and N53 and stop in Cullaville and explain the Laois philosophy that the people there are British.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GJL

People in favour of the A5 project will shed no tears for Danny Kennedy loosing his seat in the executive.

Hereiam

I would say Kennedy was only doing what he was told to do

Take Your Points

Quote from: Hereiam on March 03, 2017, 06:30:27 PM

He was just another incompetent minister way in over his head when trying to ensure a major project is being managed hence they left out key elements of the process but don't forget the major blame belongs to RoI withdrawing the full scale of funding.

Remember these people are not elected on their intellectual ability or managerial competency.  it is amazing that anything is managed by governments.

armaghniac

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 04, 2017, 12:51:35 PM
Quote from: Hereiam on March 03, 2017, 06:30:27 PM

He was just another incompetent minister way in over his head when trying to ensure a major project is being managed hence they left out key elements of the process but don't forget the major blame belongs to RoI withdrawing the full scale of funding.

The Irish government may have delayed the funding, which was inevitable in the unusual times that were in it, but there were plenty of funding models EIB loan etc which could have been proposed to get things under way if there was any interest. It isn't clear why the ROI government should have to fund this in any case, if Britain wishes to run Tyrone against the wishes of its inhabitants then it should be required to provides its infrastructure.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

An Watcher

Great news that this project will resume next year

Hereiam

Heard one of them asshloes on the radio this morning who is still opposing this road complain about the cost of it. It was because of them that the cost has went up. Unbelievable to think this road would be near completed if it had have beem managed right and lives would have been saved

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Hereiam on November 29, 2017, 08:28:23 PM
Heard one of them asshloes on the radio this morning who is still opposing this road complain about the cost of it. It was because of them that the cost has went up. Unbelievable to think this road would be near completed if it had have beem managed right and lives would have been saved

Actually the Omagh to Ballgawley road would have been finished by now.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Rossfan on November 29, 2017, 09:05:12 PM
Are we still footing the bill for this?

Only a tenth of what you originally were going to pay before you lot welched on the deal, £75m over three years.  Nothing considering how much value that you lot get from this stretch of road rushing from Donegal to Monaghan at high speed with little regard for the safety of the rest of us using the road.