Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

56cm. Seat tube measurement, differing types of frames have different sizing but there's normally an 'effective top tube' measurement. I have a Mercx 69 and the Frame size is 53.5cm but it's effectively a 56cm frame because of the geometry.  I'm 6ft.2" and I ride size 56 or equivalent, a lot of people my size would ride a 58, I have back issues & prefer the shorter reach.

laoislad

Anyone use zwift? I've used it a few times and think it's great. They are making a running version of it now which I'm looking forward too.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on January 01, 2017, 08:08:02 PM
Anyone use zwift?

Yeah I use it - makes turbo sessions a little less boring

JimStynes

Yes but my little on screen character won't move. It's showing my heart rate, cadence etc but it is standing still. Just like real life.

laoislad

Quote from: JimStynes on January 02, 2017, 10:59:56 AM
Yes but my little on screen character won't move. It's showing my heart rate, cadence etc but it is standing still. Just like real life.
Have you a smart turbo trainer?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

This could go in the gear grinders thread but why do more cyclists not have lights on their bike. Is it down to aerodynamics or stupidity or a death wish? Over the Christmas period I have lost count of the number of times I've seen lads out around 4pm in dark cycling gear with not a light to be seen.

bennydorano

Younger fellas in our club are deadly, wont wear Fluro gear, quite a few with no lights for no other reason than it's not cool. I do a lot of Solo riding & I'm lit up like a Christmas tree all year round.  In general i'd say Cycling is one of the snobbiest / elitest sports I've ever seen.

Tony Baloney

Any gear based activity will be snobby/elitest as it allows people to show off more than pulling on a pair of boots.

I know a lad who spent 5 grand on a road bike and let's just say he wouldn't be considered an athlete, elite or otherwise. To me that's money down the pan.

johnneycool

Here lads,
    Is there any onus on cyclists who're causing long tailbacks to pull in and let cars past?

bennydorano

Nothing in UK. Police can and have pulled over groups to ease tailbacks & split groups that are too big.

illdecide

Big decision for the summer...sign up and prepare for a series of Sportives or book a we trip to France or Spain for a bit of warm weather cycling??? Need to decide v soon.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

No wides

Quote from: johnneycool on January 05, 2017, 12:13:51 PM
Here lads,
    Is there any onus on cyclists who're causing long tailbacks to pull in and let cars past?

The highway code states

Rule 66
You should

keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
keep both feet on the pedals
never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
not ride close behind another vehicle

not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted.

But I doubt any cyclist feels the need to obey any rules of the road, especially around the 6 counties from what I can see.  Sunday means get 40 mates and take up the whole road riding and chatting!

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on January 06, 2017, 09:50:28 AM
Fondo 4th June & Wicklow 200 on 11th June, if I was going cycling abroad I'd be using those 2 as prep runs anyway.

bennyd would it be okay to do both of those in a week...guys have been saying pick one or the other and not both? Whats your thoughts as i'm still pretty new to cycling. These sportives are dear and i suppose should be selected carefully
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

maddog

Quote from: illdecide on January 06, 2017, 11:01:49 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 06, 2017, 09:50:28 AM
Fondo 4th June & Wicklow 200 on 11th June, if I was going cycling abroad I'd be using those 2 as prep runs anyway.

bennyd would it be okay to do both of those in a week...guys have been saying pick one or the other and not both? Whats your thoughts as i'm still pretty new to cycling. These sportives are dear and i suppose should be selected carefully

The 2nd one you will fly with the miles in the legs and a good weeks recovery between the two. I'd give it 2 days off the bike after the first and then do a couple of midweek 2hr spins to loosen out again. Hydrate like hell all week. Miles in the legs is the key.

bennydorano

As maddog says there, all about your recovery. They are a dear enough carry on, nothing to stop you joining in somewhere on route for nothing, id be inclined to pay for Wicklow tho, if something goes wrong you're an awful long way from home.