Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearsiuil

Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on August 25, 2015, 02:50:05 PM
known many novices to Lap the Lough, very flat as you say, think its in around 80mile depending on route variations, others here can correct me if I'm wrong they would know more

80 miles would be a good challenge. Lakes I normally see are not surrounded by such flatness. I'll set it as a target to do it.

JimStynes

I live beside the lough so I would cycle around it regularly enough. Handy 80 mile and flat as a pancake. Only about 1500ft of climbing in total which is nothing for that distance. You will get around it no problem. Plenty of places to stop and fill up bottles etc as well.

illdecide

Quote from: Soup an Samajiz on August 25, 2015, 03:02:55 PM
what about the cyclist bein bowled over in London.. Somebody was havin a bad day

Was destroyed today going around the Lough. Got to Derrytresk and was about to get out of Tyrone and into my beloved Armagh when some edgit in our group put me down like a sack of spuds face first into the tarmac. Have to say I was grateful to our Tyrone brethren who cleaned me up (them Derrytresk folk are decent enough).  My bike got it a bit and I'm lucky enough to have escaped with just a bloodied face and a bit of bruising...could have been a lot worse. I can't believe I hit the road face first and escaped with all my teeth in tact. Lucky.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Orior

Unlucky - get well soon.

I was driving down the motorway just after 9am this morning and on the 3 bridges between Moira and Lurgan there was groups of cyclists going in all directions. Was that part of the Lap of the Lough?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JimStynes

He was looking over the hedge at the camogie team that were training at the time.

illdecide

Quote from: JimStynes on August 31, 2015, 08:25:59 AM
He was looking over the hedge at the camogie team that were training at the time.

If only i was then i could have said i deserved it.

illdecide

Quote from: Orior on August 31, 2015, 12:16:39 AM
Unlucky - get well soon.

I was driving down the motorway just after 9am this morning and on the 3 bridges between Moira and Lurgan there was groups of cyclists going in all directions. Was that part of the Lap of the Lough?

Prob was Orior. There were 2000 registered and prob another 1000 that were not doing the Lap of Lough yesterday

Orior

Quote from: illdecide on August 31, 2015, 09:38:51 AM
Unlucky - get well soon.

Prob was Orior. There were 2000 registered and prob another 1000 that were not doing the Lap of Lough yesterday

Yeah, and I heard that the other 1000 descended on the feeding stations and ate the food that others had paid for.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JimStynes

Quote from: Orior on August 31, 2015, 07:57:46 PM
Unlucky - get well soon.

Yeah, and I heard that the other 1000 descended on the feeding stations and ate the food that others had paid for.

Bad form that! Did they not check people had bands? Another thing that annoyed me is people throwing their gel wrappers on the ground instead of their back pocket!

grounded

Strange request here! Couple of lads from our club are doing the Race Around Ireland. Currently passing through Mayo and heading for Galway. You can follow the competitors progress here http://race.blackblox.si/
They're doing it for a great cause duchenne muscular dystrophy. So if you see team Rossi passing by give them a big cheer! Thanks

grounded

Quote from: JimStynes on August 31, 2015, 08:03:36 PM
Quote from: Orior on August 31, 2015, 07:57:46 PM
Unlucky - get well soon.

Bad form that! Did they not check people had bands? Another thing that annoyed me is people throwing their gel wrappers on the ground instead of their back pocket!

Did you have any joy with the mountain bike Jim?

JimStynes

Went around the red trails and fire roads in castlewellan 

I enjoyed going up and the fire road climbs were great. Going down and jumping off rocks and all that was a bit much tbf. It was a bit tedious at times in that I could never get a rhythm going like you can on a road bike. I like on a road bike that I can sit for long periods of time just below my max heart rate and feeling completely ****ed at the end. The MTB was constantly breaking the rhythm with a tree in the road or a rock to jump over 

It wasn't very tough on the legs or anything, just took a lot of concentration and bike handling. When it came to any climbs (got in three strava top 10s as well ) I was way ahead of my MTBer friend even though I am not a great climber on the road. The down hills and rock gardens etc were a different story. He was a mile ahead of me! Flying into the jumps and rocks. Amazing bike handling skills! I was near over the handlebars about 4 times when I had to go off the steep rocks. I enjoyed it but looking for winter training options I think I would get more benefit out of the turbo. For fun and keeping things fresh I will definitely used the MTB. My cycling club has a MTB section as well and over the winter a few of the other roadies jump in with them and go around the local trails with the head lamps twice a week and then back on the road Sat and Sun. Or if I could find a less rocky route that has loads of long drags or climbs I would definitely go to that regularly.

I still really enjoyed today and can't wait to get a go on the trails again but I just don't want to come off and wreck myself!

I definitely won't be switching over from road to MTB on a full time basis!

grounded

Quote from: JimStynes on August 31, 2015, 10:43:31 PM
Went around the red trails and fire roads in castlewellan 

I enjoyed going up and the fire road climbs were great. Going down and jumping off rocks and all that was a bit much tbf. It was a bit tedious at times in that I could never get a rhythm going like you can on a road bike. I like on a road bike that I can sit for long periods of time just below my max heart rate and feeling completely ****ed at the end. The MTB was constantly breaking the rhythm with a tree in the road or a rock to jump over 

It wasn't very tough on the legs or anything today, just took a lot of concentration and bike handling. When it came to any climbs (got in three strava top 10s as well ) I was way ahead of my MTBer friend even though I am not a great climber on the road. The down hills and rock gardens etc were a different story. He was a mile ahead of me! Flying into the jumps and rocks. Amazing bike handling skills! I was near over the handlebars about 4 times when I had to go off the steep rocks. I enjoyed it but looking for winter training options I think I would get more benefit out of the turbo. For fun and keeping things fresh I will definitely used the MTB. My cycling club has a MTB section as well and over the winter a few of the other roadies jump in with them and go around the local trails with the head lamps twice a week and then back on the road Sat and Sun. Or if I could find a less rocky route that has loads of long drags or climbs I would definitely go to that regularly.

I still really enjoyed today and can't wait to get a go on the trails again but I just don't want to come off and wreck myself!

I definitely won't be switching over from road to MTB on a full time basis!

The bike handling skills will come with time and practice(and in my case plenty of falls!) As you said, its a lot different to the road in terms of it being stop/start and the concentration needed to avoid the obstacles. On the plus side no cars to worry about. There is not much climbing in Castlewellan to be fair. Its quite fast with a few technical parts. Head to Rostrevor the next time. There is obviously the trails there but also numerous fire roads and other paths to create a few climbing circuits if that's your thing. The climbs are long and steep enough(most end up near the top of the mountain) to get a good rhythm going which from what you are saying is more what you are after.
        It definitely beats the tedium of the turbo.

haranguerer

Quote from: grounded on August 31, 2015, 09:32:55 PM
Strange request here! Couple of lads from our club are doing the Race Around Ireland. Currently passing through Mayo and heading for Galway. You can follow the competitors progress here http://race.blackblox.si/
They're doing it for a great cause duchenne muscular dystrophy. So if you see team Rossi passing by give them a big cheer! Thanks

Seconded! Serious challenge - heres a list of where they expect to be and roughly when, though can track more precisely using the tracker grounded has there

http://racearoundireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/RAI-2015-Schedule.pdf

grounded

Quote from: haranguerer on September 01, 2015, 08:21:47 AM
Quote from: grounded on August 31, 2015, 09:32:55 PM

Seconded! Serious challenge - heres a list of where they expect to be and roughly when, though can track more precisely using the tracker grounded has there

http://racearoundireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/RAI-2015-Schedule.pdf

Just back from the finish line. The Rossi lads did it. 1st in the 2 person category and 4th overall with an average of 27.66km/h for the 2143.7 km. Savagery! Both of the lads looked absolutely wrecked but were elated to hear the also achieved the new 2 person race record. Fair play to anyone who competes and finishes the race, its just mindblowing what the body can endure.