Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

majestic

I think my tyres have started to see better days - going to get some new ones, anyone got any recommendations for a road bike? Starting to pick up a few punctures on the way to and from work.

maddog

Quote from: majestic on July 29, 2015, 04:28:23 PM
I think my tyres have started to see better days - going to get some new ones, anyone got any recommendations for a road bike? Starting to pick up a few punctures on the way to and from work.

Continental Gatorskins are supposed to be very good but are expensive. I've used the schwalbe lugano ones for a while now and i find them spot on. You can get them for under £20 a pair.

JimStynes

Continental gp4000s or Michelin pro4 service course are both cracking tyres. Usually a deal on In CRC on either tyre.

bennydorano

Bought a set of Conti Gp4000sII from Rose Bikes (German website), £56.12 inc postage, maybe a bit much for a cycle to work hack, but they are the best performance tyre that I have used and it's a great price, good if not spectacular longevity. 

I have had no luck with Gatorskins.

grounded

Quote from: bennydorano on July 29, 2015, 07:25:49 PM
Bought a set of Conti Gp4000sII from Rose Bikes (German website), £56.12 inc postage, maybe a bit much for a cycle to work hack, but they are the best performance tyre that I have used and it's a great price, good if not spectacular longevity. 

I have had no luck with Gatorskins.

Great price for the gp4000. Always wondered about buying from Germany, how long did it take to arrive? I don't like the Gatorskins either, had punctures and not great at all in the wet. I find at £20, the Shwalbe Durano plus last well, roll well and are very puncture proof. They are a little harsh at 23c to ride on but a 25c or wider tyre should be better. But if you can afford the gp4000 go for them.

gerry

use to swear by gp4000 but after getting two blow outs on these with less than 500 mile on them i swapped to the Shwalbe Durano S.  have to see they are the easiest tyre to put on which is a plus
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

bennydorano

Tyres arrived today, ordered Sat nite, €7.50 postage.

Mayo4Sam

I use a bontrager on the commuter/training bike, bullet proof tyres, change them once a year
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

grounded

Just about recovered from the Dromara hilly 125km. Tough, tough spin. I think there was over 8000ft  climbing for the day.  Was glad to get to the end to be honest.

Hereiam

Went out this morning for the first time. Done a 15 mile test just to see how i would get on. Have to say i enjoyed it but i feel like i have been kicked up the hole.

Eamonnca1

Hard to beat the Gatorskins. I've been known to put over 1000 miles on them without a single flat.

bennydorano

Got a great deal on a CAAD 10 - £799 from Wheelbase. Was wondering why they were going so cheap & then have started to see pics of the new CAAD 12 appearing in mags. Still a powerful deal tho! Sold my Ribble.

gerry

That's a great deal on the caad.  You would expect to see more ribbles about seeing the value they are
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

JimStynes

Looking to get a mountain bike for the likes of castlewellan and the trails. Anyone recommend anything or what to look out for?

grounded

Quote from: JimStynes on August 17, 2015, 08:29:12 PM
Looking to get a mountain bike for the likes of castlewellan and the trails. Anyone recommend anything or what to look out for?

I would say get a full suspension bike if the finances permit. I mostly do the trails in Rostrevor as I live close to it, but I would also visit Castlewellan once in a while. A lot depends on what sort of trails you will be on. If you are going to be tackling the downhill tracks with big drops etc, then you will need larger suspension travel. However if like myself you only want to tackle the red and occasional black trail then 100-120mm front suspension should be fine. A lot of the new bikes have 27.5" wheels, but the 29" wheel I find helps me roll over obstacles a little bit more easily, but is a bit more tricky in corners!
                Full suspension starts around £1000. A Giant here which is a fairly good machine http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-anthem-x-29er-2015.html
                 You could probably pick up a second hand bike for a lot less but be careful as they are a lot more complicated than roadbikes and may have had a hard life if used on the trails around here.