Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Anyone got a Castelli Gabba?

Mayo4Sam

Yes, best thing you can spend your money on. I feels really light but is incredibly warm
Couldn't recommend it enough
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

grounded

Quote from: Longshanks on July 27, 2015, 03:50:35 PM
Lads looking to get into cycling and went to chain reaction but when measured up he said he didnt have anything that would really suit my height, I'm 6ft6-7 and he said some about my long back maybe being a problem, is there somewhere that could sort me out without getting something specially made??

You could try https://www.facebook.com/groups/417701214932284/   

Just post up your height and see what is out there. Quite often there is more value in a well cherished and upgraded steed than a brand new one.

Longshanks

You could try https://www.facebook.com/groups/417701214932284/   

Just post up your height and see what is out there. Quite often there is more value in a well cherished and upgraded steed than a brand new one.
[/quote]

Hi grounded what is the name of that facebook page as thats something I think I would be looking to do until I'm well into in and know exactly what I want.

grounded

It's Cycling Buy and sell (cyclists only) Face book.

JimStynes

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 28, 2015, 11:26:58 AM
Yes, best thing you can spend your money on. I feels really light but is incredibly warm
Couldn't recommend it enough

Ordered. Going to order an Assos winter base layer and hopefully I will be more or less sorted for autumn and early winter!

illdecide

I was in McConveys on Ormeau Rd yesterday (I work right beside it) and the price of the gear is shocking. I couldn't believe how expensive the gear is and the guy in the shop told me it's more expensive sport than golf...A Specialized helmet (it was so light I didn't know I had it in my hand) was reduced in the sale down to £112 and shoes reduced from £280 to £180 (apparently the stiffness was unreal ::)). How the hell can u guys afford all the best gear as if you added it up it would cost as much as the bike :'(. Maybe I'm just a tight hoor...I dunno.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

LeoMc

Quote from: illdecide on July 29, 2015, 11:14:30 AM
I was in McConveys on Ormeau Rd yesterday (I work right beside it) and the price of the gear is shocking. I couldn't believe how expensive the gear is and the guy in the shop told me it's more expensive sport than golf...A Specialized helmet (it was so light I didn't know I had it in my hand) was reduced in the sale down to £112 and shoes reduced from £280 to £180 (apparently the stiffness was unreal ::)). How the hell can u guys afford all the best gear as if you added it up it would cost as much as the bike :'(. Maybe I'm just a tight hoor...I dunno.
It is dear in there alright. Always pays to shop around. I mind looking at a set of pedals in there at £55. The same ones were in Chain Reaction at £30. Mind you I picked up a nice light Mavic waterproof jacket in McConverys one day for £30.

JimStynes

Quote from: illdecide on July 29, 2015, 11:14:30 AM

You're a typical tight Lurgan man  ;D A lot of cycling gear is ridiculously overpriced so it is always better to look for sales. Generally though, from the stuff I have bought the more expensive shorts etc do tend to be a lot better quality. The cheap stuff I bought at the start has either fallen apart of lost it's shape. Saddles are completely personal though. There are saddles for 100s of pounds and might be the most uncomfortable thing in the world, whereas the cheap £40 saddle might be perfect. I would always pay more for shorts and winter gear to make sure I am comfortable and warm.

The price of components is ridiculous at times. Most of the higher priced things may be more expensive because they're a few grams lighter than the level below, although they may not be as durable!! Expensive sport! Not like gaelic where you buy your boots and pay the club membership and that's it.

maddog

The whole industry has gone bonkers and the shops are very adept at convincing guys that they need to upgrade XY and Z from the bike they have just spent a 4 figure sum on. (Think buying a ferrari to do your shopping in) A guy in our office just took up cycling and kitted himself out inn full Assos gear and spend 3k on a Pinarello bike. It might be going cheap in a few months ;)

The beauty about the upgrade culture is that it means there is loads of nearly near 2nd hand kit on the auction sites if you are prepared to fit stuff yourself.
Shorts bottoms and saddles are worth spending a bit more on but you can pick up a pair of shimano road shoes for £50 which for most on here would do the job well.
there are excellent waterproof cycling jackets available here for example. I have 2 of these, perfect for winter over a long sleeve jersey. They do other kit too.
http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/running-cycling/hi-vis-jackets/mens/adrenaline-bike-jacket-p7008.aspx?cl=COBALT

illdecide

TBH I dunno if I'd wear 2nd hand stuff and I don't mean that in a stuck up way. Def not shoes. I up graded my seat on my new bike and I swear it's as hard as concrete. (Gel seat), my arse h**e is sore every time I go out.

An honest question deserves an honest answer...If you are out and you meet cyclists do you look them up and down to see what gear they have and would you pass judgement on it if the guy/girl was wearing cheap gear and nothing matching as I seem to detect a bit of snobbery in the sport...(BTW I'm as rough as they come ;))

maddog

Quote from: illdecide on July 29, 2015, 12:46:36 PM
TBH I dunno if I'd wear 2nd hand stuff and I don't mean that in a stuck up way. Def not shoes. I up graded my seat on my new bike and I swear it's as hard as concrete. (Gel seat), my arse h**e is sore every time I go out.

An honest question deserves an honest answer...If you are out and you meet cyclists do you look them up and down to see what gear they have and would you pass judgement on it if the guy/girl was wearing cheap gear and nothing matching as I seem to detect a bit of snobbery in the sport...(BTW I'm as rough as they come ;))

Sorry should have been clearer I was talking about 2nd hand components from guys upgrading groupsets and wheels etc not clothes. In answer to the 2nd - no not at all. I love to see the old guys on 30 year old bikes that have eeked the last out of them and taken care of their steeds over the years. With a lot of older cyclists you will find a certain retro vibe and they will be drooling over steel colnagos battaglins tommasinis gios torinos etc and wouldnt look at a carbon bike if they were paid to. Part of this is due to the change from hand built frames to factory produced. 

Btw - what saddle did you change to ?

This made me smile.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/10-types-of-rider-youll-see-on-every-club-run-166582

maddog

Question for all the other lads that do a bit of peddling. What perch do you use ? I've tried many and seem to have settled best on this one which i picked up off ebay.

http://www.masherz.com/images/productpics/selleitalia/maxflitegelflowteambig.jpg

grounded

Quote from: maddog on July 29, 2015, 01:09:32 PM
Question for all the other lads that do a bit of peddling. What perch do you use ? I've tried many and seem to have settled best on this one which i picked up off ebay.

http://www.masherz.com/images/productpics/selleitalia/maxflitegelflowteambig.jpg

Just bought the very same saddle myself (but in black) last week. Still bedding in but really comfortable. Halfords where doing a 20% discount and a 3 for 2 offer. So managed to pick up the seat and 2 Schwalbe Durano plus folding tyres for £70. The seat itself is usually around £60 on its own. As the lads said if you keep your eyes peeled there can be some bargains in the sales.

illdecide

Quote from: maddog on July 29, 2015, 01:03:02 PM
Quote from: illdecide on July 29, 2015, 12:46:36 PM

Sorry should have been clearer I was talking about 2nd hand components from guys upgrading groupsets and wheels etc not clothes. In answer to the 2nd - no not at all. I love to see the old guys on 30 year old bikes that have eeked the last out of them and taken care of their steeds over the years. With a lot of older cyclists you will find a certain retro vibe and they will be drooling over steel colnagos battaglins tommasinis gios torinos etc and wouldnt look at a carbon bike if they were paid to. Part of this is due to the change from hand built frames to factory produced. 

Btw - what saddle did you change to ?

This made me smile.
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/10-types-of-rider-youll-see-on-every-club-run-166582

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=CSBC2149KK&gclid=Cj0KEQjw8-GtBRCMl7m54PzgjNQBEiQAIZckvzqLDPTrCfVTRpxwLNvBRwIT94RlHCK5bWTfvzScYOYaAhFQ8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds