Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Ach Jim in fairness he's ahead of us and there is another guy in our we group who could def step up a grade or two and when them two got to the front the pace picked up and they prob didn't realise they were doing it. I'm like yourself (15 stone and 6') and def could do with loosing a stone in weight which would help.

That climb your doing made me tired reading it...lol. That's unreal, I think my back would snap in two doing that. your dodgy hamstrings sound like they're well recovered from your last episode? I would have thought with the miles your putting in on the bike your legs would have been solid and strong for the football?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JimStynes

Hamstring is fine for cycling now! And speak for yourself, I'm only 14 and a half stone. 14 on a good day haha

How do I put photos on strava lads? They're on my instagram but not sure how to link them to strava.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

JimStynes

grounded

Just back from fuerte ventura. Stayed for 9 days and managed to get out for 7 days cycling. Not on the scale of what Jim cycled in tenerife but enjoyable non the less. The roads once you left the main built up areas were extremely quiet and were mostly a great surface. We didn't get a single puncture. Plenty of long flat straights with a few climbs. One exception was bentacuria which was a fairly steep turning climb to the summit. Very few other cyclists around. One other notable factor was the wind! Constant, steady nw. So usually had a tough headwind coming back home. My wife cycled with me every second day and we found it a great inexpensive way to explore the island. Good training for me but unlike Jim managed to put weight on as I was pinting and grubbing away in the evenings!

JimStynes

Quote from: grounded on April 14, 2015, 02:57:11 PM
Just back from fuerte ventura. Stayed for 9 days and managed to get out for 7 days cycling. Not on the scale of what Jim cycled in tenerife but enjoyable non the less. The roads once you left the main built up areas were extremely quiet and were mostly a great surface. We didn't get a single puncture. Plenty of long flat straights with a few climbs. One exception was bentacuria which was a fairly steep turning climb to the summit. Very few other cyclists around. One other notable factor was the wind! Constant, steady nw. So usually had a tough headwind coming back home. My wife cycled with me every second day and we found it a great inexpensive way to explore the island. Good training for me but unlike Jim managed to put weight on as I was pinting and grubbing away in the evenings!

Sounds class! Great cycling on smooth roads and in a bit of heat for a change!!

grounded

Quote from: JimStynes on April 10, 2015, 11:20:38 PM
Hamstring is fine for cycling now! And speak for yourself, I'm only 14 and a half stone. 14 on a good day haha

How do I put photos on strava lads? They're on my instagram but not sure how to link them to strava.

I'm not so sure about linking with instagram seems to be lots of diffs https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/23009728-Photo-Integration-with-Instagram

However if you are using the Strava app from your phone, click on the particular activity, click on the menu button and you should have a list of options.  EDIT/DELETE activity, settings or log out. Clicking on edit activity allows you to add description and a photo(s).

JimStynes

Any recommendations for clip on TT bars?

Mickey Linden

That sounds like some trip Jim. I seen in the Lurgan mail this week a young fella from our club at home competed in a cycle race over there. He came 69th too which was some effort considering he only took up the sport last year. Its a great sport to get in to.

gerry

I seen someone posted that newspaper clip on Facebook.  I wonder who he is ;)
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

illdecide

Yeah I read that on Facebook last night too...There's a big lad I know called Ivor the Engine and I think that's him...If it's same guy I know he'll be happy with a 69 :D. I bet he'd some tan on the big dome when he got home ;D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JimStynes

Quote from: Mickey Linden on April 23, 2015, 01:12:47 PM
That sounds like some trip Jim. I seen in the Lurgan mail this week a young fella from our club at home competed in a cycle race over there. He came 69th too which was some effort considering he only took up the sport last year. Its a great sport to get in to.

Aye some effort alright!! He took up cycling in Feb 2013 and is now aiming to get to the tour de france in a few years. He's a good looking fella too.

JimStynes

Anybody doing the Big Italian on Sunday? It should be good but I would say we are in for a soaking!
Ive signed up for the Mick Byrne on the 31st of May. Anyone done it before or know anything about it?

grounded

Was on the 100km Tour of Sligo today. After the weather on Saturday night was expecting the worst today, but turned out not too bad apart from one big downpour about 5k from the end. Big crowd around and a really well run event. First time cycling around Sligo/Leitrim and have to say beautiful part of the world.

JimStynes

Did the big Italian on Sunday there. Soaked for the first 2 hours then it turned into a decent day for the rest of it thank god. Not an overly hard 120 mile. It was pretty flat apart from the first 30 mile or so. The only climbs I can think of were Dree Hill and that climb into Castlewellan, the rest of it was just a few rolling hills. Well organised just like last years.