Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

gerry

media having a field day today
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Babe Ruth 47

Made my A3 debut over the weekend. Noticeable increase in pace, but managed to hold onto the bunch. Out and back course with a hoor of a cross wind. Average of 39.5km for 75km with a 44km average for the return 35km. Right from the turn the pace went through the ceiling.

gerry

good stuff ruth, a3 a big step up from a4.  a3 can be full of super fit juniors just mad for the tar.  btw was it the mc cann cup
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

JimStynes

Anyone ever do that Mick Byrne sportive? Seems to be the week before the Wicklow. Would be keen on doing that one as well.

Pulled my hamstring at football on friday night there. Headin to tenerife friday week for cycling. Just going to have to lie at the pool now. Nightmare.

Orior

Quote from: JimStynes on March 25, 2015, 08:29:22 PM
Anyone ever do that Mick Byrne sportive? Seems to be the week before the Wicklow. Would be keen on doing that one as well.

Pulled my hamstring at football on friday night there. Headin to tenerife friday week for cycling. Just going to have to lie at the pool now. Nightmare.

Have you given up the golf?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JimStynes

Quote from: Orior on March 25, 2015, 09:59:43 PM

Not a member of the club anymore, couldn't afford it once I couldn't get the student membership haha. But still play very badly. Ive a couple of courses eyed up in Tenerife next week! Hopefully getting to play Ballybunion a few times in the summer as well, I know a fella who is a member.  Hope to be able to join the club again next year now that the football boots are more or less hung up.

illdecide

Quote from: JimStynes on March 25, 2015, 10:32:56 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 25, 2015, 09:59:43 PM

Not a member of the club anymore, couldn't afford it once I couldn't get the student membership haha. But still play very badly. Ive a couple of courses eyed up in Tenerife next week! Hopefully getting to play Ballybunion a few times in the summer as well, I know a fella who is a member.  Hope to be able to join the club again next year now that the football boots are more or less hung up.

You've hung the boots up because you pulled a hamstring ??? FFS that's a 4-6 week injury and you'd be back training for start of the season. I think your heart isn't in it saan and it's on the cycling instead :-\ I suppose your team is better of without you if you're not committed...lol. I'm on your pitch tonight at 7:30 ;).

On Cycling...I bought myself my first pair of cycling shoes, pedals and cleats last week. Can't believe I was doing 80 miles in trainers before hand, in fairness on the flat I can feel a small difference but it was on the hills where I seen the massive difference, I was powering up them. Only been out once this year so far but will start going out regular after this weekend that the clocks go forward.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JimStynes

It's quite a bad hamstring pull so it would be 8-12 weeks according to McCormac. But that's my 3rd injury from football in a month and a half ffs. I have this cycle event in France in July and I don't want to get injured again and ruin my trip. Get yourself out with Apollo on Saturday mornings, it will bring you on big time.

Mayo4Sam

Came off the bike a week ago, landed on my nose, broken teeth, stitches in lip, a sorry sight!

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

BennyCake

Ouch!

What's the situation on helmets? Is it legal yet?

andoireabu

Anybody on here have a carrera bike of have experience of them? I am looking at getting a good value starter bike and saw there is a good sale in halfords at the minute. 50% off the one I was looking at and with the bike to work scheme it would be cheaper again. I have read reviews on them but when you don't know who is writing them I would be weary of them.  The people on here seem to know a lot more so thought I would ask.  I wouldn't be looking to race properly or anything but I have half an eye on a triathlon so something comfortable and good enough to train on would do.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

maddog

Quote from: andoireabu on March 30, 2015, 01:36:16 PM
Anybody on here have a carrera bike of have experience of them? I am looking at getting a good value starter bike and saw there is a good sale in halfords at the minute. 50% off the one I was looking at and with the bike to work scheme it would be cheaper again. I have read reviews on them but when you don't know who is writing them I would be weary of them.  The people on here seem to know a lot more so thought I would ask.  I wouldn't be looking to race properly or anything but I have half an eye on a triathlon so something comfortable and good enough to train on would do.

They aren't great but that said they would be grand for anyone looking to do a bit of fitness work and sportive type stuff they are absolutely fine. There is a whole industry built on lads being flogged top end stuff that they never ever need. Basically i'll sell you a ferrari so you can go and get the shopping scenario. The carrera bike from Halfords will be sound but if you are talking about spending say 300 or 400 quid i would always go for a better quality second hand bike. There is serious value to be had if you know what you are looking for.

haranguerer

Not sure of your range, but this is a serious bargain from a great shop

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alur-700-road-bike-id_8290145.html

maddog

Quote from: haranguerer on March 30, 2015, 03:32:13 PM
Not sure of your range, but this is a serious bargain from a great shop

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/alur-700-road-bike-id_8290145.html

Good deal that alright