Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guy crouchback

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 22, 2014, 06:25:34 PM
Is that with FitScience GuyC? The boys are flat out on them from the club, throwing out numbers.
I still prefer my own bike and the turbo and heart rate. Some days ur a bit more tired and the watts don't take that into account whether ur HR does.

ya fitscience, its uses heart rate as well and there is an interesting display showing where the power is coming from as  you go through the pedal stroke , left leg or right, as you push down or as you pull up. this is quite good.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: maddog on November 24, 2014, 10:03:58 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 24, 2014, 09:24:50 AM
Did the Santos cycle here in Perth yesterday. Was my first ever cycle after buying my bike a couple of weeks ago. In preparation I had cycled to and from work Mon-Thurs (10km each way) so I was afraid I wouldn't manage the distance.

Lovely route around the Swan river, but a couple of hairy hills down around Freo. Managed to complete them all, including one particular bitch of a 300m climb that had most people walking.

Finished the 53km in just under 2hrs, although Strava is telling me it was 51.4km, so that works out as an average pace of 26.3km

Really think I could enjoy this cycling lark

That is really good for a first crack at it. Good work.

Cheers, I had a bit of endurance built up as I trained for a half marathon back in August, so similar durations. Have been doing boot camp for a few months also, which works the legs a lot so I wasn't coming from a totally cold start.

Was still bricking it as I had no idea what to expect once I went over 10kms!!
Hasta la victoria siempre

JimStynes

Signed up for the Wicklow 200 there today. Anyone else doing it? I would need to get some weight off for it!

illdecide

Quote from: JimStynes on December 01, 2014, 09:38:18 PM
Signed up for the Wicklow 200 there today. Anyone else doing it? I would need to get some weight off for it!

I concur
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JimStynes

Quote from: illdecide on December 01, 2014, 11:27:38 PM

I concur
haha u keep quiet! U been doing much? Get yourself signed up for the wicklow 200 saaan

illdecide

Quote from: JimStynes on December 01, 2014, 11:44:35 PM
Quote from: illdecide on December 01, 2014, 11:27:38 PM

I concur
haha u keep quiet! U been doing much? Get yourself signed up for the wicklow 200 saaan

I'm aiming for this Sunday as my return (weather permitting) from knee injury, about 10-12 weeks out there...nightmare. Ill see how things go over the next few weeks.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JimStynes

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/ZXSANTA/fill-santas-sack-bundle
Very good bundles available here in Planet X. Especially for people starting off.

grounded

Quote from: JimStynes on December 03, 2014, 05:51:52 PM
Very good bundles available here in Planet X. Especially for people starting off.

Just noticed from your link they are also selling the Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano Ultegra 6800 Road Bike for £900 which seems a fairly good deal.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/deals

maddog

Quote from: grounded on December 04, 2014, 12:23:49 AM

Just noticed from your link they are also selling the Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano Ultegra 6800 Road Bike for £900 which seems a fairly good deal.

Fairly good ? It's for nothing

LeoMc

Quote from: maddog on December 04, 2014, 08:22:53 AM
Quote from: grounded on December 04, 2014, 12:23:49 AM

Fairly good ? It's for nothing

+1. I was looking at a similar Spec Specialized for £1500.

maddog

Night time cycling with lights and hi viz gear V turbo trainer, what is your preference ?

Was out tonight for a spin tonight but couldn't help but think there would be as much benefit from an hour on turbo trainer as an hour and a half out with the lights.

JimStynes

I think it's dangerous enough cycling during the day never mind at night. The club i am in go on a tuesday and thurs night run. about 30 mile i think. I've never cycled at night and don't intend to start anytime soon. I prefer sitting on the turbo with the sufferfest videos. Get some sweat going and legs are wrecked afterwards so it is definitely helping in some way.

johnneycool

Quote from: maddog on December 04, 2014, 09:52:56 PM
Night time cycling with lights and hi viz gear V turbo trainer, what is your preference ?

Was out tonight for a spin tonight but couldn't help but think there would be as much benefit from an hour on turbo trainer as an hour and a half out with the lights.

f**k, I've met several cyclists out on their own both in the morning and evening when going to and from work and I think they're taking their lives in their hands by doing so and only one had a decent back light of the three. One had a wee red light on the top of his helmet and when he put his head down you couldn't see it, Madness IMO.

guy crouchback

ya its hard to know if its worth the hassle, the turbo is a great work out if you can really put in the work for 45 mins to an hour, and night cycling for me takes the fun out of it a bit, you have to concentrate that bit harder on  the road and i just cant go as hard as i would in the day.

maddog

Quote from: johnneycool on December 05, 2014, 09:26:15 AM

f**k, I've met several cyclists out on their own both in the morning and evening when going to and from work and I think they're taking their lives in their hands by doing so and only one had a decent back light of the three. One had a wee red light on the top of his helmet and when he put his head down you couldn't see it, Madness IMO.

Madness not to have decent lights and hi viz gear.