MAUGH TAN GONE ???

Started by Rossfan, March 31, 2008, 10:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Supposed to be per Rossie website Stolensheep.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

Looks like the customers were right after all! Classic stuff from Tohill last night.
Not surprised Maughan is gone, terrible record with the Rossies.

Maguire01

At the same time, he could only work with what he had.  There are certain things you can't polish.  The manager can't take all the blame for this year's performance.

whassupp2

From Newstalk:

It's emerged tonight that John Maughan has tendered his resignation as manager of the Roscommon footballers.

Maughan and his selectors Eamon McManus Snr and Gerry Fitzmaurice all resigned this afternoon. It comes after yesterday's 11 point defeat to Westmeath in the Allianz National League.

And the Roscommon county board this evening released a statement confirming the resignation.
They thanked Maughan for his service and stated their intention to put in place an interm manager for the remainder of the League campaign.

And according to a reliable Newstalk source, FERGAL O'DONNELL, who guided the Roscommon minors to an All-Ireland in 2006, looks likely to be approached.

take the opportunity of a lifetime in the lifetime of the opportunity

dodo

The Rossies convene to determine the fate of the tanned one.

Barney

An interim management has been unveiled at a press conference at the Abbey Hotel this morning

While in Castlebar Maughan is welcomed home for getting the job "done".

mannix

I reckon its the lack of quality that is the real problem.Neither armagh or westmeath are top tier teams by any means and they whipped roscommon.
Add in indiscipline and lads thinking they are better than they really are and you have a problem.What roscommon need is lots of hard work, listen to the man in charge and thats just to stop the beatings.

Tubberman

I heard this morning that the Roscommon Co Board issued a statement condemning the supporters/customers who abused the families of the management committee.
Now whatever you think of Maughan as a manager (and he had a very poor record with Ros), resorting to insulting his family (and those of the selectors) is nothing short of disgraceful.
A group of idiots have brought further shame on Roscommon.....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Uladh

What did tohill have to say on the matter?

Rudi

Good luck to Maughan, he did the right thing & got out. I met him back in 97 on the beach in Enniscrone seemed a friendly enough sort.  I agree that a small minority of idiots have brought shame on themselves, however their is idiots in every county, no more that the idiot in Mayo who pegged a bit of 2by 1 at an allstar player. Mannix you are a fool who fails to see the bigger picture. 2 entertaining posts by Barney & Dodo. ;D

mannix

Rudi, I must be close to a nerve.
While I am here can you tell me about the "big picture".

Davitt Man

Quote from: Uladh on April 01, 2008, 09:23:34 AM

What did tohill have to say on the matter?

Tohill was very sharp, the camera went back to the studio after the Maughan customer rant and Tohill just siad the "customer is always right"

great response

heineken_on_tap

Think this is the best thing for both Maughan and Roscommon - obvious that he has lost the confidence of the players and he was not getting the best out of them.

In saying that some of the abuse Maughan has shipped over the last few months has been way over the top. He came in - gave it his best and it didn't work out. Personal abuse towards any man going out to do the job as well as he can in my opining is uncalled for. In fairness he did not have a great pool of players to select from.

I dont know who would take on such a job - if Fergie has any sense he will leave it a few years. Regardless of who takes over we should be realistic that we are CURRENTLY a division 3 team. However with all the good work been done at underage levels in Ros, it is not all doom and gloom

stephenite

Probably the right decision for all involved, despite by early seasons suspicions that this would be the year he'd turn the Rossies around, it's turned out they weren't gathering any sort of a head of steam.

I was one of his most vocal critics on here during his time with Mayo - this was mainly due to his abilities to turn his better players into enemies. Kevin O'Neills absence from the Mayo squad during his best years and the decision to drop DB in 04 are two examples of this, there were others. I always think back to Michael Donnellan taking a strop when the brother John was dropped, under Maughan he would never have played again to the great detriment of the team and their chances, John O'Mahony had the ability to keep these sort of situations from exploding and I often think if it's these small differences that were the difference between ultimate success and failure.

Having said all that, I had the opportunity along with others who post on here to spend an evening in the company of Maughan one night and he sat there and answered questions very honestly, without going into detail, he had his way of doing things and he stayed true to that. In some of the situations that he found himself in whilst managing Mayo, well, it takes a very strong character to do that.

To the future for the Rossies, I think it would be a calamatious decision to give the reins to Fergie now, give him a few years to wait for his underage stars to mature. So go for it :P

It should also be noted that despite the Roscommon experience - he has achieved a hell of a lot in his managerial career - to win a Munster with Clare from no where was spectacular - and the fact that he took Mayo from Division 3 to successive All Ireland appearances (a whisker from winning the one big one), came back and took them to the top table again. He's no slouch as a manager and I'd always have the utmost respect for what he did for Mayo football.

OirthearMhaigheo

I think Heino (or is it pint of ken), you summed it up well. He wasn't going anywhere with this team and needed to stop damaging his once fine reputation and that of some promising young players. I'd disagree slightly with him giving it his best shot by the end, reading some of his interviews by the time his 3rd year had started he seemed disillusioned with the whole set up and didn't seem like the same possessed man. He did a great job for Mayo all in all and I will always have time for him but I think the game has moved on and I'm not sure he has. Good luck to him, especially if he was getting abuse, he was dead right to call it a day, no one should have to take that but there will always be a few gobsh1tes to let the side down!