MAUGH TAN GONE ???

Started by Rossfan, March 31, 2008, 10:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neilthemac

QuoteRoscommon's senior footballers have acknowledged the work of John Maughan and his selectors during the management's two-and-a-half tenure which ended on Monday night.

In a statement released on behalf of the senior squad on Tuesday afternoon, Maughan and his selectors Eamon McManus and Gerry Fitzmaurice, were praised for the improvements they had made to Roscommon football over the last three seasons.

The statement read: "The members of the Roscommon Senior Football Panel would like to sincerely thank John Maughan, Eamon McManus, Gerry Fitzmaurice and their backroom team for their contribution and commitment to Roscommon in the last three years.

"It is with regret at this stage of the year that we part company with a management team who have sacrificed so much of their lives and given so much effort to develop and improve the current Roscommon team. Never once in the last number of years could we question their hunger and desire to bring success and pride to the county.

"Although we have not achieved or played in the manner that may be expected, it should be noted that the management team were extremely courageous in taking control at a point when Roscommon football was experiencing difficult times, and considering this, nothing can be taken away from the track records of the people involved.

"John Maughan has accomplished things in his management career that are the envy of the majority of intercounty managers, while Eamon McManus and Gerry Fitzmaurice are two of Roscommon's greatest servants ever, both on the field of play and off, and all three deserve the respect and admiration that they have deservedly earned.

"We would like to thank the loyal Roscommon support for their continued and unflinching dedication throughout the recent period and ask them now to support and get behind the players, who want nothing other than to bring success back to our county."

smacks of the county board trying to do damage limitation on behalf of maughan, fitzmaurice and mcmanus.

orangeman

Earley rises to Roscommon call
Wednesday, 2 April 2008 11:11
Paul Earley has been appointed as caretaker manager of the Roscommon senior football team in the wake of John Maughan's resignation from the position on Monday night.

Earley will take charge of the team for the remainder of the league campaign. The selectors for Roscommon's remaining matches will be announced prior to Saturday night's game against Dublin at Parnell Park.

Earley has stated that his position as interim manager will be for the league only.

Meanwhile, Larry Brennan has resigned as treasurer of the county board.

It looks like the brown stuff is really hitting the fan in Roscommon ??

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Ryano on April 01, 2008, 05:28:43 PM
I hear that Paul Early will be John Maughan's replacement. No word yet who his selectors will be.

Anyone know why Stolensheep is down? Sheepstealers all over again????

Fair play to you Ryano. First with the news.

Ryano

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 02, 2008, 03:17:44 PM
Quote from: Ryano on April 01, 2008, 05:28:43 PM
I hear that Paul Early will be John Maughan's replacement. No word yet who his selectors will be.

Anyone know why Stolensheep is down? Sheepstealers all over again????

Fair play to you Ryano. First with the news.

For all the feckin good it done me! Could i hell find a bookies in time to place a wager. Nothing on line either, sickened!!

MayoMan

Are all Ros fans delusional, it doesn't matter how good or experienced the next manager is, he can only work with what's put in front of him!!
Remember, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.........   :-\

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: MayoMan on April 03, 2008, 11:59:51 AM
Are all Ros fans delusional, it doesn't matter how good or experienced the next manager is, he can only work with what's put in front of him!!
Remember, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.........   :-\

No, most Rossies realise that in fairness - we are not blessed with a fantastic bunch of players right now. Go to any Ros club match and you will see that. But our under age structure is now very good so hopefully in a few years we can turn it around.

MayoMan

I'm not sure that ousting Maughan will deliver the results that most Ros fans are looking for long term or otherwise, bringing back lads like Frankie Dolan and Shane Curran isn't much of and answer either but that's probably what's going to happen...  :-\

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: MayoMan on April 03, 2008, 12:22:30 PM
I'm not sure that ousting Maughan will deliver the results that most Ros fans are looking for long term or otherwise, bringing back lads like Frankie Dolan and Shane Curran isn't much of and answer either but that's probably what's going to happen...  :-\

Well nobody knows what the future holds Mayoman but time will tell - if the underage structure keeps developing and it keeps lads playing football then you never know. Hopefully in a few years we will be competive in connaught again.

But you could be right, sure since Maughan left Mayo,  ye boys have not had the result ye wanted either ;).

Rossfan

Quote from: MayoMan on April 03, 2008, 12:22:30 PM
bringing back lads like Frankie Dolan and Shane Curran ......that's probably what's going to happen...  :-\
Dolan has been back for a couple of months and has played in 3 or 4 of the NFL games. In fact he provided some of the impetus we showed v Meath and Cork.
As for this other media spin of  Ros fans being deluded or having wild expectations - We know we have a poor enough supply of talent over 21 yrs of age. The expectations on Stolensheep was relegation or just avoid relegation in the League. Respectable defeat v Galway and maybe with th eright draw win a Qualifier game. Somewhet modest and realistic ye will agree.
We also know we had a good minor team 2 years ago and want that team to go through U 21 and see how many of them survive to Senior ranks where they will join the 4 or 5 survivors of the present team and hopefully some more surviving minors from the 07 and 08 teams.
We DID NOT want to see those lads thrown to the wolves of Armagh/Dublin/Monaghan etc and destroyed/burnt out before they had a chance to grow up.
Tan was quoted in the Ros Champion (must have interviewed him Sunday night) as saying he was going to have to use the U21s v Dublin because he hadnt enough players over 21. Whose fault was that Tan?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

spectator

A Roscommon view of JM's resignation, written by Paul Healy [Editor] in 'The Roscommon People'. 

Paul is a lifelong Ros fan & author of a couple of GAA Books ; "The search for Sam : All-Ireland football championship '95" is a humourous one that springs to mind.

http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/menu.asp?Menu=46

stephenite

I agree - a big happy birthday to Paddy ;)

Ryano

This from Ray Silke of all people in the Galway Advertiser. Never thought i'd see the day of Ray giving up a chance to get a dig at the Rossies by not jumping on the "supporters drove him out" bandwagon......

http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/index.php?aid=11385

Following Eddie O'Sullivan being ousted from his role with Ireland, we had two more high-profile casualties closer to home this week with Galway United's Tony Cousins and Roscommon manager John Maughan both receiving their P45s.

John fell on his own sword, however the heave-ho was a work-in-progress and it was a matter of jumping before he was pushed. He can have no real complaints as the results for his team have just not stacked up in recent months.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Ryano on April 04, 2008, 09:17:55 AM
This from Ray Silke of all people in the Galway Advertiser. Never thought i'd see the day of Ray giving up a chance to get a dig at the Rossies by not jumping on the "supporters drove him out" bandwagon......

Maybe giving the choice between digging the Mayoman or the Rossie he chose Maughan Ryano?

Ryano

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on April 04, 2008, 09:24:11 AM

Maybe giving the choice between digging the Mayoman or the Rossie he chose Maughan Ryano?

Must be and heres me thinking everyone hated the Rossies over all else. Don't know if i should feel happy, relieved or jealous ;D