New Down talent.

Started by 5 Sams, October 06, 2014, 10:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Quote from: PAULD123 on December 01, 2014, 02:01:24 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on December 01, 2014, 12:02:21 PM
I see Ross McGarry put in another man of the match performance yesterday. Looking forward to seeing if this guy can push into the Down squad.

Ross is simply outstanding at intermediate level. There is not a defender at that level in Ulster that could deal with him. However as some other people have pointed out he needs to be tested at a higher level. His superb displays have earned him that right and we are finally gong to see it. Ross certainly has the natural talent to be a county player, but being able to deal with better defenders is a new test.

What annoys me is that it's not a new thing. He was captain of a school all-Ireland winning side, he was captain and star of the minors that got to the semi-final of the All-Ireland. In one of his first games ever at senior level he smashed in 7 points. Two years ago he bagged 9 points in an Ulster final. Yet he was abandoned by the county until now.

He should have been involved in the county, being developed so that now at around 26 he would be a finished product. Instead we have lad with enormous potential reaching a peak at club level that has never worn the senior county shirt. He is effectively a raw county player, it could take two years to get the experience necessary to reach his peak at that level. It is such a waste, he should be reaching his peak as a county player now the same as he is at club level.

Nowhere near it - he must be 22/23 at the most!

mccool85

He won a Hogan in 2010 so is either 22 or 23.

Shamrocks Gaelp

Anyone have any news on the McKenna Cup panel?

PAULD123

Actually, good point. I stand corrected. he could only be 23 at most.

But my general point remains the same. He was an Ulster club all-star two years ago and should have been in the squad being developed.

John Martin

Quote from: PAULD123 on December 01, 2014, 02:01:24 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on December 01, 2014, 12:02:21 PM
I see Ross McGarry put in another man of the match performance yesterday. Looking forward to seeing if this guy can push into the Down squad.

Ross is simply outstanding at intermediate level. There is not a defender at that level in Ulster that could deal with him. However as some other people have pointed out he needs to be tested at a higher level. His superb displays have earned him that right and we are finally gong to see it. Ross certainly has the natural talent to be a county player, but being able to deal with better defenders is a new test.

What annoys me is that it's not a new thing. He was captain of a school all-Ireland winning side, he was captain and star of the minors that got to the semi-final of the All-Ireland. In one of his first games ever at senior level he smashed in 7 points. Two years ago he bagged 9 points in an Ulster final. Yet he was abandoned by the county until now.

He should have been involved in the county, being developed so that now at around 26 he would be a finished product. Instead we have lad with enormous potential reaching a peak at club level that has never worn the senior county shirt. He is effectively a raw county player, it could take two years to get the experience necessary to reach his peak at that level. It is such a waste, he should be reaching his peak as a county player now the same as he is at club level.

No he wasn't.

ardtole

McPartland was I think. Another very good player, has he recovered from injury yet? Ryan Johnson, Garvey and McPartland would be a good halfback line.

Brick Tamlin

James McCartan had the best players available to him on his panels.
The notion that there were players destroying defences in Down week-in week-out for their clubs and being overlooked for county for some myseterious reason is ludicrous.
Take off the blue n white tinted spectacles ffs.
That would be the Gaelic Life Ulster Club Allstars would it?
Right.

Time will tell whether the new recruits can cut it at county senior level.
Lets hope they can. But some of the cheerleading and comments on here recently is laughable.

NP 76

Mc Garry trained with the Down panel this last 2 years under James but was one of the ones that wasn't there at the end for whatever reason. All very well doing it week in week out at that standard but let's see how he performs at a higher level. On the talk of the Hogan campaign if I remember correct he was only a sub on that panel and played as a sub on most occasions

supersub

Incorrect, he was one of the main men. Was carrying a hamstring injury towards the latter stages of the competition and so was only good for 10-20 minutes in the MacRory final/hogan games!

Brick Tamlin

How did he perform in Div1 last year.
Why didn't he make an impact if on county snr squad initially last year?

elk

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on December 03, 2014, 08:54:24 AM
The notion that there were players destroying defences in Down week-in week-out for their clubs and being overlooked for county for some myseterious reason is ludicrous.
Right.

Lets hope they can. But some of the cheerleading and comments on here recently is laughable.
Let the Point enjoy their moment and the contribution their new messiah has made to it

outback

Quote from: elk on December 03, 2014, 12:52:44 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on December 03, 2014, 08:54:24 AM
Right.

Let the Point enjoy their moment and the contribution their new messiah has made to it
A lot of begrudgery on here.  Quite poor form to a player/Club that has done Down proud. :-[

Brick Tamlin

Dry up.
No begrudgery but really fed up with the ridiculous rhetoric that gets posted on here sometimes.
A measure of sense and reason wouldn't go amiss.
If someone could actually answer the questions on my last post that would be welcome.

Brick Tamlin

What part of my post was un GAA-like?
Actually what is GAA-like.

Down Follower

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on December 03, 2014, 11:43:17 AM
How did he perform in Div1 last year.
Why didn't he make an impact if on county snr squad initially last year?

I am not sure if he was on the sqaud at all last year to be fair.
In terms of the last time he played Div1, dont be fooling us into thinking you dont know how he performed. He would have been 21, less mature and may have spat the dummy out of the pram for CPN. However, he appears to have grown up a bit since then.