Tyrone v Dublin - The return of the Jedi

Started by Fuzzman, August 05, 2017, 08:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 05, 2017, 11:13:48 PM
Tyrone will win this, mark my words. Tyrone have the off the shoulder speed and power to cause the Dubs serious problems. Once again, the Dubs had the freedom of Croke park to slot over their points at ease, this won't happen on the 27th!

Not a chance. Which Dublin players can't keep with the off the shoulder speed and power of Tyrone?

Syferus

Quote from: Fuzzman on August 05, 2017, 10:06:08 PM
A Jayop don't start that shite. I don't think any ref goes out with that attitude.

Syf, o know this is new territory for you but when your team is still in the last eight. Relax.
Enjoy it
No need to resort to default and slag off everyone.
You seem to have anger management issues.
I really hope ye get through to the semis, not for selfish reasons

I don't know what's insulting about stating what almost all neutrals think will happen. But keep doing what you're doing and convincing yourself it's me that looks petty.

If anything it's sad to see Cavanagh go. One of the best of his generation.

omagh_gael

Not saying that the Dubs don't have pace and power in their backs, hiwever, Kerry and Mayo have both shown that if you catch them on a bad day you can reap real dividends if you've serious pace and a support system in place to produce overlaps and multiple runners.

We are never going to beat them playing a more traditional style so we've honed this particular approach. The thing about Tyrone is we're very good at creating scoring opportunities, our ability to beat the Dubs rests on our efficiency rates being sky high and Dublin having a semi off day in front of the posts, like today. I really think we've got s shot.

Zulu

Sorry OG, I can't see it. I don't see any match ups where your forwards have an advantage so Dublin can push up on your sweepers. Why you are playing two sweepers is beyond me as it's a tactic that doesn't work against the best teams anymore.

sid waddell

In the 21st century, semi-finals involving Dublin have been the biggest games in the GAA. They have the best atmospheres and are generally much more memorable games than finals. This one looks set to follow the pattern.

Tyrone are tailor-made to beat Dublin in my view. They've played Dublin five times in the league since Jim Gavin took over for the 2013 season. Granted they were all in the league, but the aggregate scoreline in those five meetings is Dublin 5-61 Tyrone 2-69, and four of those were played with inferior Tyrone teams to what currently exists.

Tyrone players have the big county mentality that Dublin and Kerry have. That should be a given but only a very select group have it. In the past week we've seen Galway, Armagh and Monaghan turn up clearly believing they don't belong at the top level.

But more pertinently, they have the pace, movement, power and tactical awareness needed to really unsettle Dublin.

This one has a real feel of Dublin v Donegal 2014 about it to me.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 11:36:04 PM
Sorry OG, I can't see it. I don't see any match ups where your forwards have an advantage so Dublin can push up on your sweepers. Why you are playing two sweepers is beyond me as it's a tactic that doesn't work against the best teams anymore.

I would argue that Matty Donnelly, Sludden and Harte would match up fairly well against any of the Dublin defence. Cavanagh will cause them more worry in theory and reputation than he will in practice. But we don't play that way anyway. We only pick up 3 or maybe 4 opposition key men and the rest of the team, bar Bradley are fluid to move were they want in possession but tuck in to cover zones in defence when not in possession. If Dublin push up on our defensive set up then we back ourselves to kill them on the break at pace in the spaces they leave. We only have a plan A and we basically challenge teams to break it down. Armagh players didn't know who to pick up today, though I'd imagine the Dubs will be much more savy. The big problem is converting the scoring opportunities and although we have significantly improved in that area we still aren't as efficient as Dublin.
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

Tyrone's system is very good at snuffing out teams who rely on a particular forward, or even 2... McManus, Clarke, McBrearty & Murphy.

Dublin have 6 forwards already who are class then McManamon, Brogan, Flynn, Costello and of course Connolly to come in.

Finally the inbred upstarts from over the mountain will be put back in their box and Saint Mickey can head for the seminary. . . for everyone's sake!

Gabriel_Hurl

You'd want someone to look at that chip on your shoulder Loopy.

The bitterness is unbelievable - hahahahaha

straightred

Quote from: sid waddell on August 05, 2017, 11:37:34 PM
In the 21st century, semi-finals involving Dublin have been the biggest games in the GAA. They have the best atmospheres and are generally much more memorable games than finals. This one looks set to follow the pattern.

Tyrone are tailor-made to beat Dublin in my view. They've played Dublin five times in the league since Jim Gavin took over for the 2013 season. Granted they were all in the league, but the aggregate scoreline in those five meetings is Dublin 5-61 Tyrone 2-69, and four of those were played with inferior Tyrone teams to what currently exists.

Tyrone players have the big county mentality that Dublin and Kerry have. That should be a given but only a very select group have it. In the past week we've seen Galway, Armagh and Monaghan turn up clearly believing they don't belong at the top level.

But more pertinently, they have the pace, movement, power and tactical awareness needed to really unsettle Dublin.

no chance - dublin without breaking sweat. they are miles ahead

seafoid

One hundred and eighty!

Tyrone have the right mentality and a sense of entitlement but they dont have the experience.
It is like one of those nature videos where a young lion challenges the pride leader for the right to impregnate the females.

Or taking a religious angle a lot of medieval castles were named after Mary because she was impregnable and belonged to God. Mickey Harte could probably riff off that theme  and bring in the rosary to bolster it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on August 06, 2017, 05:41:50 AM

One hundred and eighty!

Tyrone have the right mentality and a sense of entitlement but they dont have the experience.
It is like one of those nature videos where a young lion challenges the pride leader for the right to impregnate the females.

Or taking a religious angle a lot of medieval castles were named after Mary because she was impregnable and belonged to God. Mickey Harte could probably riff off that theme  and bring in the rosary to bolster it.
;D ;D ;D
Very good Seafoid I suppose you do eventually manage the odd funny post on occasion.

Fear ón Srath Bán

The big question is: can the Dubs score more than 5 points by half-time! :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

seafoid

Its very interesting.
Tyrone will want to come out at least 40/60,on Cluxton's kickouts.
They will want to swarm the Dublin forwards. And they will have to score goals. I think if you want to do it properly you need to get the timing right like Donegal in 2014. Two goals one after another in the first 10 minutes of the second half. Coulld Michael Murphy be baturalised?  They need to keep scoring after 60 minutes.

After the rosary in the dressing room I would expect Mickey to play I believe I can fly.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fuzzman

dlgael

The theme and title of this thread is hilarious. Derry, Donegal, Down and Armagh dispatched and Dublin are there for the taking. That's very good. Don't think a ref will be as likely to punish the opposition for dives by Bradley, Mccann or Professor Cheat Sean Cavanagh on 27th. In fact if anything Dublin tend to get handy frees and build an early lead. Let's see if Saint Mickey has the nous to pull off a heist like the 2014 semi. The platform for that was built on QF day when Dublin beat Monaghan by pushing everyone up bar Cuxton.  They have learnt a little humility from that day when we stopped the 5 in a row before it started. Dubs v Kerry final. Hopefully Kerry to win it. Sean to retire and hopefully he takes his black card with him.