How long does it take to change colours?

Started by Bud Wiser, June 30, 2014, 09:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Ok, so we are all passionate GAA followers or the same posters would not be hrre for a million years. A lot of us have moved around a bit since the board started and just like Gabriel Hurl, got married and started a new life in what we will call an away venue. But when does away become home?

Myself, came to Dublin in '68, a million years ago, married a Dub but to this day if Laois were playing Dublin in football I empty the lungs for the Laois cause. Hurling strangely enough I would be a "silent" Dubs supporter if they play Laois and full blown anyone else.

I play an odd game of golf with father and son who plays for Dubs and Saturday I asked the Dad who he was supporting when the son is playing Galway in the hurling, he being from Galway and his answer was "how far out are we from the pin"

So are there any of us who adapt our new abodes for our home counties?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Syferus

Never.

If you're blessed enough to be born in Roscommon there's no distance that would make you forget home.

A little different but Andy Moran's dad is a die hard Rossie and to this day he will never cheer for Mayo, only for Andy.

AZOffaly

I'm Offaly 100%, but it is an interesting question Bud, and it's relevant enough now too. I'm involved with a few different Tipperary at various times, and I've gotten to know the lads involved in Tipp fairly well, so I definitely have a grá for Tipp now, football and hurling.

If Offaly played Tipp, and I wasn't involved in some way, I'd still shout for Offaly but I must admit I probably attend more Tipp games than Offaly ones at this point.

Coincidentally my father had the same issue when he moved the family to Offaly from Westmeath. He played with Westmeath, and ended up involved with Ferbane and Offaly. I'm still not sure which he shouts for if the two teams were playing and he wasn't involved.

rosnarun

surely this is not a question of how long? as  ' how many generations will pass'?
gives me grat pleasure to see my Offaly born nieces wear the mayo Jersey even though on of them has played for Offaly u-12's
apparently such a thing exists
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

orangeman

Quote from: Syferus on June 30, 2014, 10:03:31 AM
Never.

If you're blessed enough to be born in Roscommon there's no distance that would make you forget home.

A little different but Andy Moran's dad is a die hard Rossie and to this day he will never cheer for Mayo, only for Andy.

That man is full of badness ! He needs counselling of some sort.

Syferus

Quote from: orangeman on June 30, 2014, 10:27:28 AM
Never.

That man is full of badness ! He needs counselling of some sort.

Ever been to Ballagh?

Hardy

Maybe if I'd moved anywhere but to Cork it would have been a possibility.

Seriously, though, not a chance. Even my Limerick-born, Cork-reared son is a Meath supporter in football. That might have grown from attending Meath matches with me and his mad uncles from a very early age. I didn't ever suggest he should follow Meath, or shouldn't follow Cork, but I never saw any reason to take him to Cork matches, nor indeed to go to them myself. Being a man of excellent taste, he made the correct choice himself.

Lone Shark

In my case county allegiance stays with you, but you'll very quickly fall in with a new club as you get to know the people around. Also, they're unlikely to be in competition with your home club.

I've been a long time out of Offaly now and while the county's defeats don't hurt as much as they used to, I suspect that's more down to becoming familiar with the habit than any geographical factor.   :'(

I bear the Rossies no ill-will and would support them in any game barring one against Offaly, but I wouldn't take any real sense of joy from them winning, nor would I lose any sleep if they lost. At club level however, I'd already know a good few of the lads and would have a lot of time for them - I'd be quite vested in them already, having moved in here a year ago.

WT4E

Never.

Is Andy Moran not from Roscommon too?

Syferus

Quote from: WT4E on June 30, 2014, 03:54:32 PM
Never.

Is Andy Moran not from Roscommon too?

Raised on the sights of Tony Mac kicking the shite out of Mayo like any young Ballagh ladeen of his age. Went to the games with the ould man as a Rossie too. Sadly politics drew him to the dark side. Still time for him to do a Sean Kilbride and return home.

rosnarun

when hes well past his best he may want to go abroad and drop down a division or two. but in the mean time he has serious business to take care of
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

If the majority of people in Ballagh wanted to play in Ros competitions, then I'm sure they'd have their way.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

laoislad

The Roscommon ones on here are getting as bad as the Nordies for taking over every thread.

As for the original question.I've been in Dublin for 13 years now. Lived in Palmerstown first, now in Lucan and hopefully by the end of the year we'll be in Ballinteer so I'm here for life I'd say but ..No never not in a million years would I ever shout for Dublin.Never.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

I'm reminded of the Munster final day a few years ago, when a parent of a Cork minor took off his Cork top after the minor game to reveal his Kerry top underneath ready for the Senior game! 2000 I think it was.

Kind of in that boat a little myself..would know more about Cork underage teams than Kerry these days and couldn't honestly shout against them, but still..would be shouting for Kerry on Sunday for example.

Quite a lot of second generation Kerry fans in Cork. I knew a lad who was a Cork u21 a few years ago and would regularly meet him at Munster finals with Kerry colours on! Strange to some, but true!

BTW, Hardy, whatever about Kerry..having the young fella supporting Meath from Cork is fairly hardcore!
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Syferus

Quote from: laoislad on June 30, 2014, 05:26:58 PM
The Roscommon ones on here are getting as bad as the Nordies for taking over every thread.

As for the original question.I've been in Dublin for 13 years now. Lived in Palmerstown first, now in Lucan and hopefully by the end of the year we'll be in Ballinteer so I'm here for life I'd say but ..No never not in a million years would I ever shout for Dublin.Never.

I didn't know the thread was only for the other 30 counties.