City Deals

Started by Bud Wiser, June 29, 2011, 08:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Ok, I know its a rip off for the unfortunate business that use them but has anyone used City Deals as a customer.

Todays offer is for Newforest Golf with an offer that is hard to bate, a four course meal for two, a round of golf for two, golf trolleys, driving range balls for €60.  That means they would be paying you to eat the four course meal, apart from the golf?

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

nifan

Why is it a rip off. They are trying to drum up business by offering deals and hoping for repeat custom.
If they didnt think it would benefit them they wouldnt do it.

Bud Wiser

Sorry, I did not explain well.  What I meant is that it is not a rip off of the punter that takes up the offer, you or me. It is great value but in the end the one that gets ripped off is the company offering the service. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Bud Wiser

Quote from: hardstation on June 29, 2011, 08:56:41 AM
They are hardly being ripped off. They get 60 euro for the meal and give you two free rounds of golf (which costs them fcuk all).

Therefore they have just got you to spend 60 euro which you otherwise wouldn't have.
Don't go into the golf and hotel industry or you won't last long HS.  Can you tell me how a four course meal for two people costs fcuk all?  I would love to know how it gets prepped, how the delivery orders are placed, how the chefs cook it, how it is served, how many people are involved in the process? How much per hour?  And then you come along and say it costs fcuk all?  The greens on the golf course look after themselves as well and there are no other employees.

nifan

Why are they being ripped off though? Its advertising and trying to build a customer base by offering an incentive.
Why would they even do it if they felt it wasnt worth it?

gerrykeegan

Bud I used them recently, two tickets to the dogs Harold's Cross or Shelbourne Pk, bottle of beer, race card and gourmet burger, for 20 euro. I saw the deal and went Jesus I haven't been to the dogs in ages and in the end six of us are now going. IGB are quids in as they have got the takings from 6 punters who didn't intend to go, I get a good deal on the price. Everyones a winner!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

thebigfella

CitiDeal takes 50% or close to it for the trouble of running the deal.

Bud Wiser

The buyers get a good deal. No doubt. There were seven buyers of the golf offer this morning, I will look later and see how many buy it.  I am not saying I ma right but I think (without Googling "Groupon Scam) that you won't see the same companies offering deals on a repeat basis once they have found out the should have read the small print first.

As an example, you can go to Newforest Golf Website and book a round of golf for €20.

The Industry Standard in Restaurant/Hotel catering is around 30%/ - 30% - 40% on Food Cost, Labour Cost and Profit.  So, for two peoiple stuck into a four course meal they are going to get €24, or €12 per skull and then out of that provide two rounds of golf!  Then take Groupons percentage out of that?

Much the same applies when, in one case a mechanic offered a reduced cost car service and about 200 cars arrived at his door.

When you click that little "Purchase" button your money does not go to Newforest Golf, it goes to Groupon.   They already charge Newforest in advance for a minimum amount of "unit purchases" which in some cases is up to 400.  They charge an upfront fee.  Then, after they have collected all the money and we have all whacked our golf balls around the course driving divots into neighbouring Meath, they pay them back by way of - No Payment for 30 days, 50% after thirty days and the remainder after a further 30 days. 

Like I say, I am only posing the question, why in the name of Jaysus would anyone want to eliminate their cash flow when they could get money straight into their tills on the day if they advertised properly.  In addition to all that if I was a regular member or visitor to say the Meath Flying Club that they have advertised and I had paid €399 and then I come in and see you with your legs stuck under the table ateing a four course meal and six months membership I would be pissed off so restaurants and hotels could lose money and customers for what they gain at a huge price.

AZOffaly

I suppose it's a form of advertising in itself Bud, and is acting as a loss leader. If this sort of advertising gets you 50 purchases, and that costs them 3 or 4 k, but they end up with 30 repeat businesses, plus their friends, you would comfortably make a profit.

maxpower

the problem i would have with this type of deal, from a retailers perspective, is that the price charge will automatically become the benchmark that establishment is compared against.  Yes that was great value for a round of golf and a meal, but at twice the price, no way man.

I suppose what i am trying to say is now rather than competing against your rivals pricing structure you will be competing against your own, and one which in all likelihood didn't make you any money.

Holland and Barrett are a prime example of a company competing with there own pricing, they run in three cycles, full price, they then do buy one get one half price, then everything half price, pretty sure most who use the store wait the 2/3 weeks until the deal is on, but at least the half price is evidently profitable hence the repeat the fact there no repeat offer would suggest to me this type of deal doesn't work for the retailer
What happens next????

Bud Wiser

245 deals bought with 3 hours to go.

They sold (at real value of €169) over 40,000, almost 50,000 euro of product for 14,700 of which they get back 7,350!!!   - 3,500 30 days later and the other half in a further 30 days. You would want to be completely out of your fooooking mind. 

LostInSpace

Is this simply www.citydeals.com?  Can't connect to website!

attheraces

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Bogball XV

Bud, every business has fixed and variable costs, in these days anything that covers it's own variable cost is a winner.
Company's making these offers do their own sums and if the numbers make sense they run with the offer.  As someone else pointed out, if the product is worth coming back for, it's good advertising.

Puckoon

These types of consumer driven deal companies have been the rage over here now for a year or so. Groupon, living social etc...

Personally I think they are a great idea - and it makes you wonder exactly what things cost when money was no object and people were firing money hand over fist for 80-100$ rounds of golf. I got one similar to Bud's example last month - golf and range balls for two at a private country club for 80$. I played the same club 3 years ago and it was 110$ for my round of golf - and that was with a member. These places are crying out for business - and I feel little or no worry for them there is no gun to their head to join up for these deals (and if there is any shred of one, it is sometimes their own making for the exorbitant prices they have charged the ordinary punter in "normal times").

I bought a watch from a company called world of watches for a friend as a gift the other day - 1000$ watch and I paid 130$ for it - it makes you wonder how much things are actually worth in the grand scheme of things.