GAA & Tourism - A Joke.

Started by Bud Wiser, June 18, 2011, 01:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

A few weeks ago I was reading the biggest joke ever where the GAA said they were going to market the GAA through Tourism Packages.

Dublin hurlers are playing the biggest game they have played in a while when they clash with Galway in Tullamore this evening at 7pm. Thinking of hopping on the train at Heuston and going to the game?  Don't do it, the last train leaves Tullamore at 8pm, around half an hour before the final whistle. The Luas connects with Heuston and many like me could literally hop on it, off at Heuston, have a pint or two before the game in Tullamore and come back again but - for some reason that is beyond me the idiots in the GAA and Iarnrod Eireann seem to have a communications embargo in place between each other. Maybe its time county boards had amore of a say as to who is employed in Croke Park.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

southdown

I heard an advert on the radio last week in England from the Irish Tourist Board.

It was something along the lines of, "Why not visit the Blarney Stone, or take a trip to watch a Gaelic Football match in Dublin where the Dublin star player has taken off his shirt after scoring!"

Pure cringeworthy stuff.

Bud Wiser

The Irish Tourist Board, Failte Ireland are the only government body at the moment with money to throw away, and that is literally what they are doing, throwing money away.   Look at the Feis/Feile in Finsbury Park and how they operate the Big Green Bus.  I can only imagine the add you heard. Wouldn't it be grand to have all in packages for match days where for example you get a reduced price train ticket, a ticket for the game and some deal for a pub doing music after the game and a train home again
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Maguire01

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 18, 2011, 01:20:10 PM
A few weeks ago I was reading the biggest joke ever where the GAA said they were going to market the GAA through Tourism Packages.

Dublin hurlers are playing the biggest game they have played in a while when they clash with Galway in Tullamore this evening at 7pm. Thinking of hopping on the train at Heuston and going to the game?  Don't do it, the last train leaves Tullamore at 8pm, around half an hour before the final whistle. The Luas connects with Heuston and many like me could literally hop on it, off at Heuston, have a pint or two before the game in Tullamore and come back again but - for some reason that is beyond me the idiots in the GAA and Iarnrod Eireann seem to have a communications embargo in place between each other. Maybe its time county boards had amore of a say as to who is employed in Croke Park.
Are most county boards not at least as shambolic as HQ?

Jinxy

Quote from: southdown on June 18, 2011, 01:25:51 PM
I heard an advert on the radio last week in England from the Irish Tourist Board.

It was something along the lines of, "Why not visit the Blarney Stone, or take a trip to watch a Gaelic Football match in Dublin where the Dublin star player has taken off his shirt after scoring!"

Pure cringeworthy stuff.

Good lord.
I've reached the conclusion that most of the people involved in marketing and advertising in this country are total west brits that have about as much affinity with the GAA as they do with the MAA (Mathematical Association of America).
How can you market something you don't understand?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyHarp

The advert is even worse than that - it says something along the lines of "imagine the Dublin star player takes off his shirt and runs over and gives it to you in the crowd - you are sat beside a Man from Down who invites you up to see the Mountains of Mourne - Go where Ireland takes you!". It's brutal stuff altogether!
That was never a square ball!!

Denn Forever

Does the Hotel beside Croke Park offer any "Toutist Packages"?  Surely ideally placed.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Leo

Cork v laois - hurling at its zenith??? They will flock to it!
Fierce tame altogether

Maguire01

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 18, 2011, 06:33:49 PM
The advert is even worse than that - it says something along the lines of "imagine the Dublin star player takes off his shirt and runs over and gives it to you in the crowd - you are sat beside a Man from Down who invites you up to see the Mountains of Mourne - Go where Ireland takes you!". It's brutal stuff altogether!
It's the stuff of dreams.  :D

Jinxy

Quote from: Denn Forever on June 18, 2011, 06:38:31 PM
Does the Hotel beside Croke Park offer any "Toutist Packages"? Surely ideally placed.

I should hope not.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 18, 2011, 01:20:10 PM

If you think its bad from Dublin trying to get to an FBD or League game from Mayo, or even championship, it can be a nightmare. For years I went with my dad or mates, but I ended up wanting to go to more matchs and other people less. I found it very hard and expensive getting to games, wasn't until I got my own car that it became easier, but the petrol was a killer.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Bud Wiser

Quote from: Leo on June 18, 2011, 07:19:37 PM
Cork v laois - hurling at its zenith??? They will flock to it!

Cork would offer the added advantage that instead of them taking off a jersey and throwing it into the crowd that the tourists could be encouraged to go into the city where they have the opportunity to meet the whole team in person walking along the streets

thewobbler

The thing i don't get here is why any GAA fan would have the slightest interest in tourism marketing of the sport. Just what is it that makes you care, or make you believe it's an issue. I can't imagine a Leeds United, Leinster Rugby, Boston Red Sox, Hawthorns or Widnes fan even considering the subject, let alone caring enough about it to get upset.

Why do the likes of Bud feel their take on their sport has to be different?

I'll sign off here by commenting on one truth. Nobody is going to travel to Ireland to watch Gaelic Games unless they've a history with the sport. They might watch Gaelic Games when they're on their Irish travels, but this is an option rather than a cause. When you can accept this simple fact, you might be in a position to evaluate what steps can be taken. If you can't accept it, then it's probably better that you're just a poster on a forum, and not a decision maker for the association.

Jinxy

I went to a baseball game in New York a few years ago.
Wanted to see what all the fuss is about.
It's a uniquely american experience (unless you fancy going to Cuba or Japan), just like Gaelic games are a uniquely Irish experience.
That's where the tourism angle comes in.
It was mind-numbingly boring though.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: thewobbler on June 19, 2011, 09:28:22 PM
The thing i don't get here is why any GAA fan would have the slightest interest in tourism marketing of the sport. Just what is it that makes you care, or make you believe it's an issue. I can't imagine a Leeds United, Leinster Rugby, Boston Red Sox, Hawthorns or Widnes fan even considering the subject, let alone caring enough about it to get upset.

Why do the likes of Bud feel their take on their sport has to be different?

I'll sign off here by commenting on one truth. Nobody is going to travel to Ireland to watch Gaelic Games unless they've a history with the sport. They might watch Gaelic Games when they're on their Irish travels, but this is an option rather than a cause. When you can accept this simple fact, you might be in a position to evaluate what steps can be taken. If you can't accept it, then it's probably better that you're just a poster on a forum, and not a decision maker for the association.

I went to New York last year. I didn't go there just to ride the Staten Island Ferry. I didn't go there just to visit the Guggenheim museum. I didn't go there just to see Times Square. I didn't go there just to see the Statue of Liberty. I did all of these things though. I went there because of the combination of all of the things that make NY so interesting.

And please don't tell me that only people who grew up with Gaelic games can take any interest in them. I know for a fact that that is incorrect.