Top Earning Manager in the GAA

Started by Bud Wiser, April 10, 2011, 10:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Lads, this thread is not appropriate, and leaves the board open for a complete shellacking by anyone mentioned in it. Please be more careful.

PS. Hardstation, thanks for your concern.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

LeoMc

Would the manager who travels the longest distance not get the biggest mileage? ???
Are the above quoted figures accurate, estimates, guesses or rumours?

Bud Wiser

Well it is a kind of secret society when it comes to paying managers. I can't see their wage packets and when it comes to mileage I don't buy it at all, how would you measure mileage, some of them were being ferried around in helicopters, Joe Kernan boasted on radio that it was handy to manage Galway (he later found out it wasn't) because he had an airfield close to his home and the training ground.  So that is why I made it clear that I am asking people to guess.

Sure, you are right, there are rumours too, for example a Limerick hurler walking off the field after a practice game was supposedly complaining about how much his manager was paid which is where I got that figure from.  Pure rumour, nothing more nothiung less but could it be true?  That is what I am asking to be debated because if it were true then maybe people like meself should be as critical of paying managers as we are of the GPA. 

My own view, for what it is worth is that there is not one manager in the country worth more, or should be paid more than a thousand euro a week.  That is a lot of petrol and spuds, considering there are entire communities in dire straits and trying to keep the GAA going.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

armaghniac

I think this thread needs to distinguish between money spent on managers and money paid to to managers. If team x sends a taxi to the other end of the country to pick up a manager and then have him stay in a nice hotel, they could spend a lot without the individual receiving a cent.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

This is a good thread that might rattle a few well pruned feathers.

I'm sure that there will be plenty of managers willing to come forward quickly to announce how much they are putting to the game for no personal gain.
MWWSI 2017

Agent Orange

The Down county board have denied rumours that they are paying Paddy O`Rourke in excess of £100k per annum.

ogshead

Quote from: Agent Orange on April 10, 2011, 07:52:13 PM
The Down county board have denied rumours that they are paying Paddy O`Rourke in excess of £100k per annum.

Did I not see you sticking up for Paddy on another thread... make up your mind!!

INDIANA

I think its unreasanble to expect county managers to get nothing.

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on April 10, 2011, 10:51:58 PM
I think its unreasanble to expect county managers to get nothing.

And the players?
MWWSI 2017

Agent Orange

Quote from: ogshead on April 10, 2011, 09:59:12 PM
Quote from: Agent Orange on April 10, 2011, 07:52:13 PM

Did I not see you sticking up for Paddy on another thread... make up your mind!!

Humour is obviously lost on you.

PAULD123

I am going to admit being very naive about this. How to managers actually get paid? I mean at some point money is moved from the county board into the bank account of the manager, so how does that happen if he can't receive it officially as a taxable wage? I was talking to Louth girl a couple of year's ago who's dad was desperate for the county manager's job. I asked what would motivate him for it, she said - Sure the wage is 50,000 Euro. I was stunned.

So if I am right and the payment is justified by expenses. But you must surely be able to show the expenses, you can only fiddle expenses so far, I've tried it. Mileage is an obvious one. But at some point you have to show the mileage, One of the more prominent managers accused of payments was actually investigated by the commissioners and they found him clean, how could he have hidden thousands of Euros?

So if anyone knows, please accept that I am naive. Let's say I'm a county manager tomorrow and they will pay me 50k. How do I receive that without the tax man kicking my door in?

Gaaboardmod3

See my edit of the first post on the thread. I have also deleted some of the more 'loose-lipped' (or whatever the correct keyboard version is) posts. Lads, I'm sure ye don't want to get the board shut down, so please be careful about alleging shady dealings by anybody in particular.

However, the topic itself is fair game, and indeed is a topic of interest to the GAA hierarchy themselves, so that's not the issue. You just can't say, 'X is getting €100k a year to manage Y'.

Thanks again Hardstation. Your telepathic message came through loud and clear. Thanks also to the other people who actually reported the thread, and didn't rely on my ESP.

deiseach

Quote from: Gaaboardmod3 on April 11, 2011, 01:00:12 PM
Lads, I'm sure ye don't want to get the board shut down, so please be careful about alleging shady dealings by anybody in particular.

Speak for everyone else, I want to cause as much trouble as possible. Mohammed is a big fat bollix

Lar Naparka

See my edit of the first post on the thread. I have also deleted some of the more 'loose-lipped' (or whatever the correct keyboard version is) posts. Lads, I'm sure ye don't want to get the board shut down, so please be careful about alleging shady dealings by anybody in particular.

However, the topic itself is fair game, and indeed is a topic of interest to the GAA hierarchy themselves, so that's not the issue. You just can't say, 'X is getting €100k a year to manage Y'.

Thanks again Hardstation. Your telepathic message came through loud and clear. Thanks also to the other people who actually reported the thread, and didn't rely on my ESP.

I see you have taken down my post on the subject of unfounded allegations and the possible consequences for those who make them. I'm a bit surprised at this as I thought I stayed well clear of making allegations of any sort myself or naming anybody might be taking any sort of under the table payments.
Having said this, I don't mind you taking my post down at all. You may have seen something I wasn't aware of and it's better to be cautious than sorry afterwards. I just hit on this thread this morning and was gobsmacked by what I saw here. Especially from the poster I responded to as he is normally one of the most sensible posters about.
Still, I am curious as to what you found objectionable in my post. You might care to enlighten me.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Lar Naparka

Quote from: deiseach on April 11, 2011, 01:25:22 PM
Lads, I'm sure ye don't want to get the board shut down, so please be careful about alleging shady dealings by anybody in particular.

Speak for everyone else, I want to cause as much trouble as possible. Mohammed is a big fat bollix

I know Mohammed very well and I'm going to print this out and show it to him.
He runs the kebab shop down the road and I call him that all the time!
Now, I'm gonna tell him I'm not the only one who thinks he is. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi