Respect for the Sam Maguire

Started by An Gaeilgoir, November 08, 2011, 01:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

Maybe i'm turning into a grumpy old codger, but i was out last night with some clients. We ended up in Coppers (paying the price today, let me tell you). Anyway, a brother of one of the Dublin footballers had the Sam Maguire with him and a lot of people wanted their photo taken with it. Fair enough. But the amount of drink that was spillled into it, the way it was thrown around the place and the general lack of respect shown to the cup was i have to say was eye opening. Speaking as a GAA man i think this fine trophy and what it stands for in Irish life deserves a little bettter, than been treated like an empty bean can. Rant over, hangover bubbling nicely now.

angermanagement

I've heard a lot worse than the aul drink been spilled into it.

Theres a few dirty hoors around Amagh and Tyrone would piss anywhere :)

TacadoirArdMhacha

I believe Tyrone didn't allow any alcohol in the Cup at any time.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Shamrock Shore

I was in The Sunnybank Hotel in Glasnevin a few weeks ago when Sam paid a visit along with 70s Dubs like Jimmy Keaveny, Paddy Cullen and Brian Mullins, Gilroy and Fennell and Pilar. Even Joe Kernan showed up!

Not one sup of booze was poured into it. It was placed on a table and we all queued up and had pictures taken holding it, waving it, putting it on head etc.

No suggestions of disrespect.

Maybe Northsiders plus a few culchie blow ins from Longford on a night tour northside are more civilised than the mongs in Slappers.

sawel

There were pictures a few years ago of 'drap calves' been fed out of Sam

BennyHarp

Is the Sam that the counties get not just a replica these days anyway and the real thing never actually leaves Croker?
That was never a square ball!!

skeog

AbbeySider

In fact there is a few replicas.
Sam has been known to appear at a wedding in one town and a a separate event in another.

heffo

There are two Sams and two Liams.

The original is the one given to the winning county.

The replica is stored in the museum in Croke Park and is only given out for special occasions where the holder needs it.

Unless someone has knocked up a replica of their own, there is not a 3rd or 4th of either Liam or Sam.

blanketattack

I can't really give out - I p*ssed and shat in it when it came to my house.