Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Targetman

I'll be there, in all honesty I can't see us winning but I hope the players that didn't perform against Donegal show a bit of pride in the jersey and don't give up if/ when we go a few points behind, are we expecting many changes in personnel?

Smurfy123

I would expect McArdle Turley McKernan Donnelly and Millar to drop off the team to be replaced by who I do not know.
Johnstone Dornan Flynn McConville to come in as they are all young and have plenty of running in the legs
Any new additions to the squad ?

My team
Harrison
Flanagan
Doherty
O Hagen
Johnstone
McParland just about
Flynn
Mooney
Dornan
Millar
Maginn
McConville
O hare
Madine
Harrison

McKernan
Donnelly
Turley
McArdle
All to come on when the match is tight at the end and needs some experience

banker

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 18, 2018, 01:47:05 PM
I would expect McArdle Turley McKernan Donnelly and Millar to drop off the team to be replaced by who I do not know.
Johnstone Dornan Flynn McConville to come in as they are all young and have plenty of running in the legs
Any new additions to the squad ?

My team
Harrison
Flanagan
Doherty
O Hagen
Johnstone
McParland just about
Flynn
Mooney
Dornan
Millar
Maginn
McConville
O hare
Madine
Harrison

McKernan
Donnelly
Turley
McArdle
All to come on when the match is tight at the end and needs some experience

Shay Millar was taken off injured 20 minutes into Glenn's match on Friday night.

Mourne Rover

Presumably the McConville in Smurfy's team should be McKibben, who will be expecting to start. Harrison looks a certainty in goals but McArdle is still more likely than Doherty at full back and McAleenan could be introduced in the corner. There is a case for keeping last week's half back line of O'Hagan, McParland and Mooney in place but sadly Turley no longer has the mobility for midfield. It would be surprising if Donnelly is not retained, with either Madine or McKibben beside him. McKernan was poor against Donegal but his experience may get him another chance. While there is a lack of depth in our squad, Cavan are nothing special either. However, there is a fair chance that a few careers are on the line in Enniskillen.

Smurfy123

Steven McConville clonduff I am talking about. Why would McKibben expect to start?
I would imagine this will be the end for Turley McArdle McKernan all great servants to Down football but we need to move on with the youth. We can't keep going back to these men as we continue to get the same results. What would your starting 15 be mourne?

SHEEDY

Heard donal o'hare and caolan mooney picked up knocks as well on friday night and are doubts for saturday. Hopefully both are fit as they were 2 of the very few decent performers the last day.
nil satis nisi optimum

Smurfy123

O Hare and Millar look almost certain to be out both hamstring pulls on Friday night
Mooney would be a doubt
Big misses if true
Can downjim confirm on O Hare?

downjim

elk

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 18, 2018, 10:31:00 PM
Presumably the McConville in Smurfy's team should be McKibben, who will be expecting to start. Harrison looks a certainty in goals but McArdle is still more likely than Doherty at full back and McAleenan could be introduced in the corner. There is a case for keeping last week's half back line of O'Hagan, McParland and Mooney in place but sadly Turley no longer has the mobility for midfield. It would be surprising if Donnelly is not retained, with either Madine or McKibben beside him. McKernan was poor against Donegal but his experience may get him another chance. While there is a lack of depth in our squad, Cavan are nothing special either. However, there is a fair chance that a few careers are on the line in Enniskillen.
McAleenan is as good a corner back as there is in the county don't understand why he has not had more game time. Would do no harm to have a look a few of his CPN team mates for next season, as they are at least as good as the majority of the current panel.

Brick Tamlin

Take your blue glasses off elk and name names

elk

Ok Tammy - his wee brother, mc cartan,magee,mallon,murdock and boyle,- don't know if all of them would be interested but I'll stop before the blue haze blinds me totally!

guevara

Donagh McAleenan has been the best player I've witnessed this year in Down Club Football. How young players of his calibre are not involved in The Down set up is beyond me.

John Boyle for a number of years now has been a standout performer in Division 1. Warrenpoint's best and most influential performer. He has stood out a mile every time I've seen them this year.

All Club's will have their view on how their own Club's best player(s) are not involved in The Down Panel. But I think anyone who follows Down GAA closely will acknowledge that for too long the majority of our County representative players do not stand out in Club Football yet still manage to make the squad year after year. Many of them struggle to be the best player in their own Club never mind on a field of play.

Things have to change and until it does we will continue to watch the same names be anonymous in Down Club games yet be on County Teams.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Smurfy123

Of the starting team who would show well for clubs
Reid x
Flanagan x
McArdle x
Doherty x
O Hagen yes
McParland x
Mooney yes
Donnelly x
Turley x
Millar yes
Maginn yes
Millar x
O hare x
Harrison x
McKernan x

Johnstone yes
Flynn yes
McKibben x
Wells x

Open for correction

charlieTully

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 19, 2018, 06:20:19 PM
Of the starting team who would show well for clubs
Reid x
Flanagan x
McArdle x
Doherty x
O Hagen yes
McParland x
Mooney yes
Donnelly x
Turley x
Millar yes
Maginn yes
Millar x
O hare x
Harrison x
McKernan x

Johnstone yes
Flynn yes
McKibben x
Wells x

Open for correction

You are clearly not half wise.

Smurfy123

How do you work that out

If you were going to say a Castlewellan match tomorrow unbeknown of anyone would you pick out Flanagan?

Burren McKernan?

Downpatrick Turley?

Hilltown o Hagen yes