East Belfast GAA

Started by nearlymad, June 02, 2020, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 10, 2020, 08:50:47 AM
Can anyone enlighten me where the Down/Antrim border is in Belfast? Genuine question as I didn't know Down stretched to Belfast.

A lot of debate about this but the ormaeu bridge is traditionally where Down Ends and Antrim begins or at least that's what I learned 

imtommygunn

It's the lagan. So for example Bredagh is one side and play in Down whereas St Malachys is the other and plays in Antrim and they're not overly far apart, (St Malachys would be lower ormeau road and bredagh upper ormeau road).

BennyCake

Youngsters generally start playing at u6 for some clubs, so the aim is to get them in as young as that. Kids aren't born bigoted, it's environmental, so unless they've been brainwashed by 6, most kids I'd imagine have little idea of the us v them situation, or the Irish fundamentals of the GAA. I'd say many Protestant kids would be happy to give it a go, as long as parents allow them.

It'll be a slow process, but even if some parents are suspicious of the GAA, seeing their kids enjoying playing the game might be enough override any issue of Irishness, flag/anthem, club names etc.

So I hope the club is allowed to progress without any bigots or media spouting bitter and twisted comments about flags/anthems, Irish language etc. Let the kids play the game, and I hope it proves a success. Anything that gets kids out exercising is to be encouraged, no matter the sport.

Rossfan

Exactly Benny and like 95%? of Gaelic games participants don't read pages 1 and 2 of T.O.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

general_lee

Quote from: Snapchap on June 09, 2020, 07:46:33 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 09, 2020, 05:37:07 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 09, 2020, 03:24:13 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 09, 2020, 02:58:45 PM
That 32 County Ireland piece was added post Partition as far as I'm aware (it wouldn't have arisen before it).
How woul you make it more attractive to those from a Unionist background ?

I'm in favour of limiting the use of the flag/anthem. In my view that's a massive sticking point. Changing the rules around naming clubs, I don't think it's realistic to force clubs to re-name themselves against their wishes but could stop anything controversial happening in the future. More initiatives in schools but that's always an uphill struggle
We're in essence singing the same tune.
But better watch your back with Snap around😁.
To test that theory: General Lee, do you suggest the GAA limits the flag and anthem use nationally? Or like Rossfan, are you suggesting that the GAA continue to allow the flag and anthem be used in the south but should ban it's members in the north from using the flag and anthem entirely?
Whatever changes should be on a national level. I don't acknowledge the legitimacy of the border separating this country.

general_lee

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on June 10, 2020, 12:08:21 AM
That 32 County Ireland piece was added post Partition as far as I'm aware (it wouldn't have arisen before it).

I’m in favour of limiting the use of the flag/anthem. In my view that’s a massive sticking point. Changing the rules around naming clubs, I don’t think it’s realistic to force clubs to re-name themselves against their wishes but could stop anything controversial happening in the future. More initiatives in schools but that’s always an uphill struggle
So you want to pander to the prods and start diluting the GAA culture by going against the aims of the association in a particular part of the country?
Snapchap is bang on the money here. I personally couldnt care less if the prods play or dont play, or if they feel GAA is a 'cold house'. The GAA is what it is, and it's adopted by many people all over the world. If they get offended by a flag and an anthem then they shouldnt be near a pitch in the first place. Plenty of GAA lads have no bother going and playing for protestant football teams. If they want to play, great, if not, who cares. That's my opinion.
Pandering? If it makes our games more palatable to some of the more middle of the road unionists then I am all for it. I don’t see the need to fly the tricolour at games. I’m every bit an Irish Republican before I set foot on a playing field as I am when I leave it. Last thing I’m worried about is the tricolour. National and provincial finals should suffice. Same for the anthem. I couldn’t give a rats ass there. How many of our members can even sing/understand the lyrics of the song? I was at a club game couple of years ago and some cûnt from Kilcoo beside me was singing it English!!

You have the same attitude as so many tossers traditionalists in the GAA. Well able to change the rules whenever it stops resembling the 1940s style ruckus they used to play but if it comes to anything remotely progressive it’s a whole song and dance. It’s the same with the complete silence over #BLM movement! Disappointing that a  GAA club in Antrim have decided it’s political to have an anti-racist stance!

Rossfan

Quote from: general_lee on June 10, 2020, 12:38:21 PM

I'm in favour of limiting the use of the flag/anthem. In my view that's a massive sticking point. Changing the rules around naming clubs, I don't think it's realistic to force clubs to re-name themselves against their wishes but could stop anything controversial happening in the future. More initiatives in schools but that's always an uphill struggle
To test that theory: General Lee, do you suggest the GAA limits the flag and anthem use nationally? Or like Rossfan, are you suggesting that the GAA continue to allow the flag and anthem be used in the south but should ban it's members in the north from using the flag and anthem entirely?
Whatever changes should be on a national level. I don't acknowledge the legitimacy of the border separating this country.
The people of Ireland voted for said border to stay in 1998 by the way.
The GAA acknowledge it too by pricing admission fees and programmes in 2 currencies in the North.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: general_lee on June 10, 2020, 12:53:46 PM

So you want to pander to the prods and start diluting the GAA culture by going against the aims of the association in a particular part of the country?
Snapchap is bang on the money here. I personally couldnt care less if the prods play or dont play, or if they feel GAA is a 'cold house'. The GAA is what it is, and it's adopted by many people all over the world. If they get offended by a flag and an anthem then they shouldnt be near a pitch in the first place. Plenty of GAA lads have no bother going and playing for protestant football teams. If they want to play, great, if not, who cares. That's my opinion.
Pandering? If it makes our games more palatable to some of the more middle of the road unionists then I am all for it. I don't see the need to fly the tricolour at games. I'm every bit an Irish Republican before I set foot on a playing field as I am when I leave it. Last thing I'm worried about is the tricolour. National and provincial finals should suffice. Same for the anthem. I couldn't give a rats ass there. How many of our members can even sing/understand the lyrics of the song? I was at a club game couple of years ago and some cûnt from Kilcoo beside me was singing it English!!

You have the same attitude as so many tossers traditionalists in the GAA. Well able to change the rules whenever it stops resembling the 1940s style ruckus they used to play but if it comes to anything remotely progressive it's a whole song and dance. It's the same with the complete silence over #BLM movement! Disappointing that a  GAA club in Antrim have decided it's political to have an anti-racist stance!
The GAA promotes Irish culture and everything that comes with it, that's the way it is and always has been, if they don't like it, tough. They're easily offended if that's what they're worried about.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Rossfan on June 10, 2020, 01:11:00 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 10, 2020, 12:38:21 PM

The GAA acknowledge it too by pricing admission fees and programmes in 2 currencies in the North.
Wrong. There was no poll on the border in 1998.
That's because there are two currencies used in Ireland.

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on June 10, 2020, 01:11:00 PM

Now there's a spectacular a bit of f@#kwittery as you're ever likely to read on this website.

general_lee

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on June 10, 2020, 01:34:58 PM

Pandering? If it makes our games more palatable to some of the more middle of the road unionists then I am all for it. I don't see the need to fly the tricolour at games. I'm every bit an Irish Republican before I set foot on a playing field as I am when I leave it. Last thing I'm worried about is the tricolour. National and provincial finals should suffice. Same for the anthem. I couldn't give a rats ass there. How many of our members can even sing/understand the lyrics of the song? I was at a club game couple of years ago and some cûnt from Kilcoo beside me was singing it English!!

You have the same attitude as so many tossers traditionalists in the GAA. Well able to change the rules whenever it stops resembling the 1940s style ruckus they used to play but if it comes to anything remotely progressive it's a whole song and dance. It's the same with the complete silence over #BLM movement! Disappointing that a  GAA club in Antrim have decided it's political to have an anti-racist stance!
The GAA promotes Irish culture and everything that comes with it, that's the way it is and always has been, if they don't like it, tough. They're easily offended if that's what they're worried about.
There's more to Irish culture than a flag and anthem

general_lee

Quote from: hardstation on June 10, 2020, 01:54:06 PM

Do you really believe it will make the games more palatable to anyone? We have clubs, grounds and competitions named after people they perceive to be terrorists. Don't you think that would be much more of a sticking point?
For me, it's meaningless tokenism that will achieve fcuk all. Also, why are you intent on keeping them for some games? Should Unionists just suck it up or not attend those games?

As for the man in Kilcoo singing the anthem, he's just a traditionalist singing the original.
Yes, why wouldn't it? Realistically there are how many hundreds of clubs? And one "offensively" Named one in Derry? How many offensive competitions are there? How many offensive grounds? Four? Considering Unionist politicians have made a point of avoiding the anthem any time it was played at games they've attended it would clearly be seen as more than tokenism

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: general_lee on June 10, 2020, 02:17:01 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 10, 2020, 01:54:06 PM

Do you really believe it will make the games more palatable to anyone? We have clubs, grounds and competitions named after people they perceive to be terrorists. Don't you think that would be much more of a sticking point?
For me, it's meaningless tokenism that will achieve fcuk all. Also, why are you intent on keeping them for some games? Should Unionists just suck it up or not attend those games?

As for the man in Kilcoo singing the anthem, he's just a traditionalist singing the original.
Yes, why wouldn't it? Realistically there are how many hundreds of clubs? And one "offensively" Named one in Derry? How many offensive competitions are there? How many offensive grounds? Four? Considering Unionist politicians have made a point of avoiding the anthem any time it was played at games they've attended it would clearly be seen as more than tokenism
Not quite, it says more about them that they haven't even the respect to stand for the anthem. Not the GAA's problem in order to appease bitter people.

general_lee

I know it's speaks volumes for the bitterness of unionists and I can take or leave those types getting involved in the GAA. If moderate types were more open to our games then I don't see what the big deal is.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: general_lee on June 10, 2020, 02:22:17 PM
I know it's speaks volumes for the bitterness of unionists and I can take or leave those types getting involved in the GAA. If moderate types were more open to our games then I don't see what the big deal is.
I agree, no harm in moderate types playing and getting involved and i know of ones who do, but personally im not all about changing the whole way things are done across the country just for the sake of trying to attract a handful of moderate unionists thats all.