East Belfast GAA

Started by nearlymad, June 02, 2020, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

No surrender!
Not an inch!
Why don't ye turn on Jarlath and Bennycake?
Do I detect anti "Free Stare"  partitionism?
Is the GAA in breach of its " basic aim" by operating in a 6 and 26 Co Ireland?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dec

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 07, 2020, 05:44:53 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2020, 01:04:59 PM
Do the Shanghai Gaels or whoever have to fly an Irish flag and play an Irish Antfem?

My guess is that at the weekend of the Asian games they'll play Abhrann na bhFiann plus the local national anthem before the last match, which would be the senior final in either hurling or football. That's how they do it in the USA where they play the Star Spangled Banner followed by Abhrann na bhFiann before the senior hurling final at the USGAA playoffs. Divisional finals will have a similar protocol. (The football used to be the final event but the senior hurling became such a great spectacle that they switched them around.)

Do they play the local anthem for games in England?

Rossfan

Not at the annual Connacht Championship match in Ruislip anyway.

general_lee

Quote from: Rossfan on June 09, 2020, 02:09:00 PM
No surrender!
Not an inch!
Why don't ye turn on Jarlath and Bennycake?
Do I detect anti "Free Stare"  partitionism?
You're obviously taking the piss and I'm certainly not against the GAA making changes to make the organisation more attractive to those from a Unionist background but have a cop on. The GAA predates partition so your argument is largely irrelevant 

Rossfan

That 32 County Ireland piece was added post Partition as far as I'm aware (it wouldn't have arisen before it).
How woul you make it more attractive to those from a Unionist background ?

general_lee

Quote from: Rossfan on June 09, 2020, 02:58:45 PM
That 32 County Ireland piece was added post Partition as far as I'm aware (it wouldn't have arisen before it).

I'm in favour of limiting the use of the flag/anthem. In my view that's a massive sticking point. Changing the rules around naming clubs, I don't think it's realistic to force clubs to re-name themselves against their wishes but could stop anything controversial happening in the future. More initiatives in schools but that's always an uphill struggle

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on June 09, 2020, 02:09:00 PM
Is the GAA in breach of it's basic aim (of fostering a national identity on a 32 county basis) by operating on a 32 county basis? No, would be the fairly obvious answer to that one.

The GAA operates organisationally as one jurisdiction. It does not have separate rules for north and south. If it did so, especially by introducing a ban on Irish people in the north from using the Irish flag and anthem (as a free state fool like yourself is advocating), it would quite clearly be a fairly gigantic fundamental breach of it's stated basic aim. Most people wouldn't need that explained to them I'd imagine.

Rossfan

Quote from: general_lee on June 09, 2020, 03:24:13 PM

I'm in favour of limiting the use of the flag/anthem. In my view that's a massive sticking point. Changing the rules around naming clubs, I don't think it's realistic to force clubs to re-name themselves against their wishes but could stop anything controversial happening in the future. More initiatives in schools but that's always an uphill struggle
We're in essence singing the same tune.
But better watch your back with Snap around😁.

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on June 09, 2020, 05:37:07 PM

We're in essence singing the same tune.
But better watch your back with Snap around😁.
To test that theory: General Lee, do you suggest the GAA limits the flag and anthem use nationally? Or like Rossfan, are you suggesting that the GAA continue to allow the flag and anthem be used in the south but should ban it's members in the north from using the flag and anthem entirely?

Rossfan

Only one talking about bans is Snapnotaninch"
My original post was about as part of a protocol by all Sports organisations in the North.
Anyway what percentage of Gaelic games have Amhrán na bhFiann played beforehand?

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on June 09, 2020, 08:15:47 PM
Only one talking about bans is Snapnotaninch"
My original post was about as part of a protocol by all Sports organisations in the North.
Anyway what percentage of Gaelic games have Amhrán na bhFiann played beforehand?

So it's not a ban on the GAA using the Irish flag or anthem? It can be called a "protocol" because all sports in the north should have to sign up to it? What exactly is the difference, when a protocol that prohibits members from doing something, is still to all intents and purposes, a ban (that the GAA would have to endorse)?

GiveItToTheShooters

So you want to pander to the prods and start diluting the GAA culture by going against the aims of the association in a particular part of the country?
Snapchap is bang on the money here. I personally couldnt care less if the prods play or dont play, or if they feel GAA is a 'cold house'. The GAA is what it is, and it's adopted by many people all over the world. If they get offended by a flag and an anthem then they shouldnt be near a pitch in the first place. Plenty of GAA lads have no bother going and playing for protestant football teams. If they want to play, great, if not, who cares. That's my opinion.

GiveItToTheShooters

Back to the topic, refreshing to see that the club has been formed and I wish them every success

Eamonnca1

The goals of the GAA include strengthening Irish culture and Irish identity, which is a cultural objective rather than a political objective. If more protestants come into the GAA fold it'll help them connect with a positive projection of Irish culture and feel Irish in a way that is non-threatening, which in my opinion would do a lot to strengthen Irish identity. It would be entirely in keeping with the GAA's goals. Making a few minor concessions on flags and emblems would be a small price to pay for this. In the event of a united Ireland we'll probably have a different flag and anthem anyway, and that is something that can be flown and played at matches north and south post-reunification.

Farrandeelin

Can anyone enlighten me where the Down/Antrim border is in Belfast? Genuine question as I didn't know Down stretched to Belfast.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.