East Belfast GAA

Started by nearlymad, June 02, 2020, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

I think everyone was pleased to hear a new gaa club was being formed in East Belfast, and still are.

We all applaud their intentions to be an inclusive club, and I think most clubs would genuinely be open to any young lad willing to play Gaelic games.

Within 2 days from the sunday morning idea/tweet, East Belfast had secured sponsorship, a facility to play their games at, 100 members (paid up I presume), a bank account  or some financial account to meet regulations. Admission to the down Jfc ( which I find hard to understand could be approved so quickly).

I've no problem with Linda Ervine as President, I've never met her, she seems progressive. But I would have concerns about her radio interview, because she liked a tweet, suddenly she was deemed worthy of president of this new club. She thinks the gaa have to compromise on flag and anthem issues, for a club that are not even a week  old,  ( are they even a registered club?) Seem to be making a lot of demands.

It's strange  too that someone would leave their home club for a yet to be established club, less than 20 mile from their home club , within 48-72 hours of a sunday morning tweet.

I genuinely wish the new club well, and I hope they grow from strength to strength, 20-25 years ago Darragh cross would have been in a unionist stronghold, were a poor div 4 football team, but have progressed into a competitive div 2 team, and likely to progress further.

I said before that I think there were a lot of feelers put out before this Sunday morning tweet, and the avalanche of support that followed, but is  the east Belfast gaa president in a position to begin dictating to the gaa membership, particularly in the north, the relaxing of traditions that to date I would consider fundamental to the gaa.

Maybe Linda Ervine went on a solo run with the radio interview,  I dont know, but it seems a little staged to me.

Orior

Did Linda voluntarily mention the Soldiers Song or was it brought up by Nolan so as to trick her into something that would remind loyalists why they don't like Gaelic football?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2020, 01:04:59 PM
Do the Shanghai Gaels or whoever have to fly an Irish flag and play an Irish Antfem?

My guess is that at the weekend of the Asian games they'll play Abhrann na bhFiann plus the local national anthem before the last match, which would be the senior final in either hurling or football. That's how they do it in the USA where they play the Star Spangled Banner followed by Abhrann na bhFiann before the senior hurling final at the USGAA playoffs. Divisional finals will have a similar protocol. (The football used to be the final event but the senior hurling became such a great spectacle that they switched them around.)

imtommygunn

Quote from: Orior on June 06, 2020, 06:47:28 AM
Did Linda voluntarily mention the Soldiers Song or was it brought up by Nolan so as to trick her into something that would remind loyalists why they don't like Gaelic football?

I wonder this myself. Seems to be the first thing brought up. I doubt whoever had the idea was thinking about this.

imtommygunn

Ah. All seemed a bit abrupt. Right we're creating a Gaa club in a Protestant area so you must get rid of tricolour/ anthem etc. To move to that so quickly looks like a political stunt / someone shit stirring- hopefully the latter.

MoChara

We could always just play Soccer, sure no-one could be offended then?

Mourne Red

Quote from: MoChara on June 08, 2020, 07:36:40 AM

Did you just call it soccer? I'm offended, it's called football...

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2020, 11:31:25 AM
As I've said here before all Sports bodies in the North should have a protocol of no National Flags or Anthems .

So you expect the GAA to have separate rules for either side of the border? You expect that an organisation which, according to it's rulebook "has as its basic aim the strengthening of the National Identity in a 32 County Ireland", should ban the Irish national flag and anthem from it's activities in the six counties?

Partitionism is alive and well in Roscommon, I doubt. ::)

Rossfan

Full on brother No Surrender Not an Inch.

As we presently have a 6 and 26 Co. Ireland with separate jurisdictions does that mean that basic aim cannot be pursued.
Meanwhile the Ulster Council will have no problems getting funds from Stormont which only covers the 6 Counties.
Disgraceful partitionism.

Meanwhile most GAA people get on with promoting their games without reading page 1 of the T O.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on June 08, 2020, 05:13:20 PM
::)
So asking that the GAA treats it's members in the north equal to members in the south marks one down as some sort of sectarian, intransigent, neanderthal bigot? We in the north should just accept some lad from Roscommon deciding that we don't deserve our Irishness to be as visible as his?

As we presently have a 6 and 26 Co. Ireland with separate jurisdictions does that mean that basic aim cannot be pursued.
So what about there being two juridictions? As far as the GAA organisationally is concerned, there is only one. But sure why don't we go all the way then an ban Gaelic Games completely in the north. After all, it's a different jurisdiction than the south? Or better still, why don't we ban Gaelic Games in the south and only play them in the north? They are different jurisdictions after all, and who says they south should get first call? Point is, six counties being in a different jurisdiction to the 26 has no legal bearing on the right to display the tricolour or to play the national anthem in the north. You are advocating the GAA introduce a partitionist rule entirely of it's own volition for the first time in it's history.

Meanwhile the Ulster Council will have no problems getting funds from Stormont which only covers the 6 Counties.
People in the north pay taxes too.

Meanwhile most GAA people get on with promoting their games without reading page 1 of the T O.
Most people also understand that the GAA is an All-Ireland entity and whether or not they know the precise wording from the GAA official guide, would be undoubtedly aware that it's main aims include stengthening the Irish national identity on an All Ireland basis. It's hard to fathom how far removed from reality someone can be for them not to realise A: how deeply the GAA is connected to people's national identity in the north (and why), and B: Just how seismic the fallout would be if the GAA of all organisations, decided to ban it's members in the north from displaying the Irish flag or playing the Irish anthem, while continuing to permit such things in the south. The usual sanctimonious free state arrogance and stupidity displayed on a whole new level entirely.

BennyCake

Quote from: Mourne Red on June 08, 2020, 04:08:41 PM
Quote from: MoChara on June 08, 2020, 07:36:40 AM

Did you just call it soccer? I'm offended, it's called football...

It's soccer. Even soccer men call it soccer.

Rossfan

I'd say Snapeen would be some craic on a night out😆😁.

He wouldn't need to buy chips on the way home anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on June 08, 2020, 06:27:10 PM

I'd say Ross wouldn't be the sharpest tool in the box, but, critically and most pitifully, no doubt believes he is.

tiempo

Quote from: Snapchap on June 08, 2020, 06:44:33 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 08, 2020, 06:27:10 PM

I'd say Ross wouldn't be the sharpest tool in the box, but, critically and most pitifully, no doubt believes he is.

Just your common garden DMZ bot, in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king

general_lee

West Brit drivel. The exact same garbage you hear from Unionists. "Oh you want a United ireland but you're happy to take the queens shilling". Last time I checked my taxes were the same as anyone else's. Unfortunately I also pay taxes that contribute towards the Royal family, the British military, trident, foreign policy etc. Something west Brits are probably envious of.