East Belfast GAA

Started by nearlymad, June 02, 2020, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2020, 01:07:09 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2020, 12:33:11 PM
PS can anyone tell me how 2 sentences I nGaeilge on page 3 of a match programme is furthering the language?
Very little, if at all.

My club and probably 100s of GAA clubs across the country do a hell of a lot more than that to promote the language and I'm sure you are aware of that. So, you are being disingenuous. For what reason, I don't know.
They might be in the 6 but not many in tgec26.
There are schools and Irish language organisations for that.
Most clubs now dont even put club names I nGaeilge on their scoreboard.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

general_lee

The people most vehemently opposed to the GAA are the very people who wouldn't set foot inside GAA grounds if their lives depended on it.

If the IFA can be "cross community" while still flying the Loyalist banner and playing the English national anthem; then surely the GAA (an Irish organisation, headquartered in Dublin) can be also while playing the Irish national anthem and fly the Irish flag.

For what it is worth I am indifferent to flags/anthems at our games bar national finals.

Rossfan

Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2020, 01:42:08 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2020, 01:33:41 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2020, 01:07:09 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2020, 12:33:11 PM
PS can anyone tell me how 2 sentences I nGaeilge on page 3 of a match programme is furthering the language?
Very little, if at all.

My club and probably 100s of GAA clubs across the country do a hell of a lot more than that to promote the language and I'm sure you are aware of that. So, you are being disingenuous. For what reason, I don't know.
They might be in the 6 but not many in tgec26.
There are schools and Irish language organisations for that.
Most clubs now dont even put club names I nGaeilge on their scoreboard.
That's a shame. I don't follow the bit about "there are schools and Irish language organisations for that" as if it should be left to them.
In the 26 everyone (almost) is taught Gaeilge in School.
90% of the hoors probably forget it the day after they leave though :-[
Then there are classes in ETB schools for the enthusiasts, Comhrá Gaeilge groups etc .
GAA clubs round here anyway are put to the pin of their collars running the games which is their primary reason for existence.
Sadly even some clubs' crests nowadays are I mBéarla amháin.

Didnt see an answer to a question I put earlier re those soccerball Catholics/Nationalists in Derry and Belfast??

Rossfan

Maybe I read the posts in the previous few pages ;D

Rossfan

Hmmmmm
The GAA should be promoting the IRISH language
GAA should be promoting IRISH song, music, dance etc
GAA should play IRISH national anthem
GAA should not stop flying the IRISH flag

Ok I got it wrong...

6th sam

Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2020, 03:25:05 PM
Hmmmmm
The GAA should be promoting the IRISH language
GAA should be promoting IRISH song, music, dance etc
GAA should play IRISH national anthem
GAA should not stop flying the IRISH flag

Ok I got it wrong...

Apart from Irish identity being at the core of the GAA ethos, in rule, in 99% of activity it has little active manifestation. I could genuinely debate this at length but I think there's a danger in the extremely positive message of a new GAA club in East Belfast , with strong support in the whole community, getting lost in an age old debate. Regardless of arguments that inevitably follow the GAA ethos , and misunderstandings around that, this is an exciting development that will hopefully be a boost to Down GAA. Fair play to those involved

Rossfan

Indeed.
Best of luck to them.

snoopdog

Surely a GAA club in east Belfast is a great thing. A club for all. As a Down man I'm delighted, the more players we have the better be they whatever colour creed or nationality.  As for the national anthem I dont think it needs to be played before every single county game. Provincial and all ireland finals and county finals excepted.  Has the GAA been a cold house for unionists in last 20 odd years? I grew up playing underage where we had some protestant lads playing and no one had any issue. And that was the 80s and 90s. As already said there are vast areas of North Down untapped and anything that can be done to attract the unionist people and show them that the gaa is a sporting body 1st and foremost. Yes Irish culture is a main part of that and should remain so and is not something to be afraid off.

Rossfan

You'll find those Rugby Unionists are politely respecting the flag and Anthem of the RofI (as they see it) in which the game is taking place.

Rossfan

That Ireland's Call is played for their team.
At away games it's the only thing they play for the Irish team.
As far as they are concerned the Union Jack and God save Lizzie Windsor are the Flag and Anthem in the North.

PS they fly the Ulster* flag in th'Aviva as well as the Tricolour for Ruggerball internationals for the Unionists.
* as in real 9 County Ulster

DuffGael

I find it sad that a positive story about a  new GAA club in an area that hasn't had a club in 50 years mutates into a stupid debate not related to the original story.  Why not start a separate thread if you want to talk about anthems,  flegs,  etc 🙁

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2020, 09:14:10 PM
You'll find those Rugby Unionists are politely respecting the flag and Anthem of the RofI (as they see it) in which the game is taking place.
And what's your problem with that? What's your issue with polite respect?  Are 'Rugby Unionists' not welcome then if they are not belting out SS?

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2020, 09:26:32 PM
That Ireland's Call is played for their team.
At away games it's the only thing they play for the Irish team.
As far as they are concerned the Union Jack and God save Lizzie Windsor are the Flag and Anthem in the North.

PS they fly the Ulster* flag in th'Aviva as well as the Tricolour for Ruggerball internationals for the Unionists.
* as in real 9 County Ulster
Pretty sure Ireland's call is played for all players.  As for the flying of the 9 County Ulster flag at Ireland 'ruggerball' internationals as you refer to them, I have never really understood this if the people who it pertains to represent do not really dentify with the flag. 

Rossfan

Did I say I had a problem with it?
I'm merely explaining their viewpoint to HS.

Very intemperate interjection Michaelg.

Rossfan

Ulster Rugby Branch  is a 9 County organisation.
Therefore it's the only flag that can represent "non Tricolour" Ulster rugby people.