East Belfast GAA

Started by nearlymad, June 02, 2020, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 05, 2020, 12:24:11 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 05, 2020, 12:17:46 AM
Quote from: Evil Genius on June 04, 2020, 10:50:16 PM
And even though I think that it should be a source of embarrassment that 1/6th of the population of Ireland is excluded - or feels itself excluded - from playing particular sports, I might add that I'm not "offended" by this.

Are you embarrassed because  you exclude yourself from normal life in Ireland because you identify with the 17th century?
If my sport excluded 48%(?) of the population of NI I'd certainly be embarrassed.

That's because I try to live my life in the 21st century, where what "foot you dig with" shouldn't determine what foot you kick with.

And yet you are embarrassed by GSTQ

Fully in the 21st century despite waving a 20th century flag?

armaghniac

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 05, 2020, 12:24:11 AM
And even though I think that it should be a source of embarrassment that 1/6th of the population of Ireland is excluded - or feels itself excluded - from playing particular sports, I might add that I'm not "offended" by this.

Are you embarrassed because  you exclude yourself from normal life in Ireland because you identify with the 17th century?
If my sport excluded 48%(?) of the population of NI I'd certainly be embarrassed.

That's because I try to live my life in the 21st century, where what "foot you dig with" shouldn't determine what foot you kick with.

You know very well the sport does not exclude anyone, but some people exclude themselves for sectarian reasons.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Walter Cronc

Am I reading this right....people giving out about an East Belfast GAA club. H Christ relax everyone. It's Friday.

Rossfan

Any match in any code can function very well without a National Anthem being played beforehand.
You NEED 2 teams, a ball 1 or more Officials, a pitch.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

APM

Just read some of the posts on here.  This thread is embarrassing!

Rossfan

Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2020, 10:32:53 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2020, 10:29:26 AM
Any match in any code can function very well without a National Anthem being played beforehand.
Indeed, and they can function without the promotion of the Irish language, scór and teams & venues named after people involved in conflict & uprising. Therefore, these things aren't needed so we could get rid of them. Do we really need to be called the Gaelic Athletic Association?
Not much promotion of an Ghaeilge as 99.99% of posts on this forum are I mBéarla, and 99% of official GAA business is I mBéarla.
Plenty of organisations promoting the language out there.
Scór is great stuff and I like it a lot but you'll find Irish music, song, dancing are doing great already.
The GAA doing a bit for Gaeilge and for Irish music etc is nice to see but isn't particularly NEEDED.
The Gaelic ATHLETIC Association title isn't correct either by your logic as the GAA doesn't do athletics any more.

BennyCake

Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2020, 09:19:16 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 05, 2020, 12:00:48 AM
Quote from: nearlymad on June 04, 2020, 11:05:13 PM
Ps. Remember Jarlath Burns and his National Anthem/Flag rant that quickly disappeared.

I remember big Jarlath saying that a few years ago, and I disagreed.

As time goes on, I agree with him. The Irish flag isn't needed at any ground. A GAA flag should be flown with flags of the participating teams. . And the anthem isn't needed either, except for All Ireland final day.
When you say needed..... What do you mean? There are probably many things in the GAA that somebody may say aren't needed. Is the promotion of the Irish language needed? Is scór needed? Do clubs and venues need to be named after people involved in conflict and uprising?
I think the point is that all of these things are wanted.

Interestingly, why would the anthem all of a sudden become needed on All Ireland final day?

GSTQ is obviously wanted at NI matches. But nationalists complain about it being unwelcoming to play for/support NI, yet are outraged at the thought of removing the same from GAA matches. The Irish flag is a political thing, and I just think it shouldn't be flown, and not because it's unwelcoming to unionists. I just do t see the point of anthem being played at a McKenna Cup or NFL div 4 game on a freezing Saturday night over a tinny PA system. It's not needed. All Ireland day yes, as that's the national final. Play it then.

Scor and the Irish language aren't political, so there's no comparison with those to anthem/flag.

6th sam

Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2020, 10:32:53 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2020, 10:29:26 AM
Indeed, and they can function without the promotion of the Irish language, scór and teams & venues named after people involved in conflict & uprising. Therefore, these things aren't needed so we could get rid of them. Do we really need to be called the Gaelic Athletic Association?

That's the question for the GAA going forward. Can it survive or even thrive, without the extra motivation of Irish patriotism and all that entails eg multi-sports,volunteerism, language, Scór ?. How would this neutrality look? Would the new GAA include dropping names such as St Patrick's in case it was a barrier to non-christians? Similarly Should we change the name of the Royal Victoria Hospital in case it offends republican staff or patients?
Or should we all embrace diversity, should we respect history and each other's identities , and welcome all within that context. IFA, Ulster Rugby and GAA are trying to do that . It's unnecessary and unworkable to dilute all semblance of identity, and force a "neutral" identity on everyone. Let's accept and embrace identities as long as they're not aggressive . Several "nationalists" play for NI in spite of it's identity, and are welcomed. Several "unionists" play GAA in spite of it's identity and are welcomed. If NI soccer had a totally neutral identity , they may lose more than they gain, similarly for the GAA.
Linda Ervine does brilliant work in my opinion, to try and get her on board with Gaeilge, did we dilute it? No , her identity was respected and she respected the identity of others.
I agree with Ardtole's very fair comments re the logistics of start up, but as a Down man would welcome any initiative to extend the GAA net in our county.

Rossfan

Paying lip service to an Ghaeilge and a small percentage of members taking part in singing, music and dancing contests are unlikely to stop anyone playing Gaelic games.
Continuously using Flag and Anthem of 1 "tribe" in the North will hardly entice many of the other "tribe".
Back in the day when we were all under the British Empire flying the Tricolour at games and playing Amhrán na bhFiann were important public statements of our separateness from the State.
From 1922 in the North it was about the only expression of Nationality that was publicly available to the Nationalist Community.
Since 1998 that is not the case.
As I've said here before all Sports bodies in the North should have a protocol of no National Flags or Anthems .

BennyCake

Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2020, 11:28:02 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 05, 2020, 11:15:08 AM
Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2020, 09:19:16 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 05, 2020, 12:00:48 AM
Quote from: nearlymad on June 04, 2020, 11:05:13 PM
Ps. Remember Jarlath Burns and his National Anthem/Flag rant that quickly disappeared.

I remember big Jarlath saying that a few years ago, and I disagreed.

As time goes on, I agree with him. The Irish flag isn't needed at any ground. A GAA flag should be flown with flags of the participating teams. . And the anthem isn't needed either, except for All Ireland final day.
When you say needed..... What do you mean? There are probably many things in the GAA that somebody may say aren't needed. Is the promotion of the Irish language needed? Is scór needed? Do clubs and venues need to be named after people involved in conflict and uprising?
I think the point is that all of these things are wanted.

Interestingly, why would the anthem all of a sudden become needed on All Ireland final day?

GSTQ is obviously wanted at NI matches. But nationalists complain about it being unwelcoming to play for/support NI, yet are outraged at the thought of removing the same from GAA matches. The Irish flag is a political thing, and I just think it shouldn't be flown, and not because it's unwelcoming to unionists. I just do t see the point of anthem being played at a McKenna Cup or NFL div 4 game on a freezing Saturday night over a tinny PA system. It's not needed. All Ireland day yes, as that's the national final. Play it then.

Scor and the Irish language aren't political, so there's no comparison with those to anthem/flag.
I don't mind the soccer team playing GSTQ. I have no other longing to support them so it is not off putting for me. For what it is worth, I dislike our national anthem and would be happy for the country to scrap it, let alone the GAA. However, I can see why moving from an association which promotes our national identity to one that hides it would annoy people.
There are many unionists who would disagree with you that the Irish language is not political and if it discourages sections of the community from participating and it is not needed, why keep it?

It's not hiding national identity. Do you see/hear the flag/anthem at GAA matches and suddenly realise "Jaysus, I forgot we were Irish. Good job we have the flag/anthem to remind us!". A lot of us don't need a tri colour wrapped around us to prove we are Irish.

6th sam

Quote from: Rossfan on June 05, 2020, 11:31:25 AM
Paying lip service to an Ghaeilge and a small percentage of members taking part in singing, music and dancing contests are unlikely to stop anyone playing Gaelic games.
Continuously using Flag and Anthem of 1 "tribe" in the North will hardly entice many of the other "tribe".
Back in the day when we were all under the British Empire flying the Tricolour at games and playing Amhrán na bhFiann were important public statements of our separateness from the State.
From 1922 in the North it was about the only expression of Nationality that was publicly available to the Nationalist Community.
Since 1998 that is not the case.
As I've said here before all Sports bodies in the North should have a protocol of no National Flags or Anthems .

I respect your opinion Rossfan, but it wouldn't matter if they dropped UJ and GSTQ from
Windsor , I have no affinity to NI or antagonism towards them. Why would NI drop the flag and anthem , beloved of many of their most loyal supporters, in the hope that they'll harness total cross community support, when there's no evidence this will happen. I have friends who support NI, and I envy them having a relatively successful international team to support , on their doorstep . But flags or no flags, they are not my team and my friends respect that . It really isn't a big deal.

Rossfan

How do all those Catholics/Nationalists in Derry City and West Belfast who don't partake in or follow Gaelic games get to be Irish?
As for doing what we always did.....21 aside was dumped, sude posts were dumped, 17 aside was dumped, Kissing Catholic Bishops' rings was dropped, them throwing in the ball was dumped.....
Vibrant organisations change and adapt to circumstances.
PS can anyone tell me how 2 sentences I nGaeilge on page 3 of a match programme is furthering the language?

BennyCake

Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2020, 11:59:34 AM
It's taking something that has always been visible and putting it away so that it can no longer be seen. To me, that's hiding it. I'm not saying it stirs something in me or makes me feel more Irish. Not at all. However the promotion of the national identity is a founding principle of the GAA. I can understand why many would not want that removed.

Captains kissing the bishops ring (ooerrr! etc), bishops throwing the ball in.. they were removed and who the feck misses those? Jaysus, when you look back, WTF Like? Pitch invasions I was against removing too, but upon seeing old footage I think, jaysus that was madness. I'm surprised there weren't more injuries involving people's eyes taken out with flag poles, people trampled on, clashing of heads, glasses smashed etc. Madness.

Anyway, flag/anthem different issues, but some things need taking away. And sometimes we need to have certain things taking away before we realise they weren't such a good idea.

The GAA is a national identity, and the culture around it; community, family days out, sport, language, music, dance, where you're from, friendships made, fitness, etc. Do we need a flag/anthem when we have all that?

Rossfan

Do the Shanghai Gaels or whoever have to fly an Irish flag and play an Irish Antfem?

michaelg

You might need to work on your inclusivity.