East Belfast GAA

Started by nearlymad, June 02, 2020, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Hmmmmm....
Do I get the impression some people would be happy to see this club fail?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Rossfan on June 03, 2020, 07:07:47 PM
Hmmmmm....

No. But I'm very suspicious about Linda Irvine thing. If I thought it meant we didn't get the funding we have been crying out for from Ulster council for hurling , well I'd be pissed. Of course SF will be on this bandwagon

Orior

I think we should applaud Linda Irvine, but i disagree with any dilution of what the GAA stands for.

Every other country in the world can fly tri-colours on St Patrick's Day. It's only in the occupied six where a minority go out of their way to take offence. Those that take offence at our national flag are not gonna be picking up a hurl or donning an O'Neill's top.

And that is no different to me passing remarks about Windsor Park. They can sing no surrender for all they like, because I ain't gonna visit nor follow that team.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

general_lee

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 03, 2020, 07:33:35 PM
Hmmmmm....

No. But I'm very suspicious about Linda Irvine thing. If I thought it meant we didn't get the funding we have been crying out for from Ulster council for hurling , well I'd be pissed. Of course SF will be on this bandwagon
Have Sinn Fein mentioned anything? Or is that just you getting your retaliation in first?
What makes you think the Ulster council is going to treat this club any differently? They're not even affiliated to the Down county yet and you have them getting special treatment. And what's there to be suspicious about Linda Ervine? Going into the lions den i think she's a brilliant person to get on board.

nearlymad

Quote from: general_lee on June 03, 2020, 09:47:31 PM
Hmmmmm....

Have Sinn Fein mentioned anything? Or is that just you getting your retaliation in first?
What makes you think the Ulster council is going to treat this club any differently? They're not even affiliated to the Down county yet and you have them getting special treatment. And what's there to be suspicious about Linda Ervine? Going into the lions den i think she's a brilliant person to get on board.
It's just another issue for Linda to latch onto. https://sluggerotoole.com/2019/05/03/reaching-across-the-divide/

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Hmmmmm....

Fair play to you. Each to their own..watch this space....

Kidder81

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 03, 2020, 10:32:45 PM
Hmmmmm....

Yeah the academic, media luvvie types all love her, as well as the other spurious funding junkies but you are 100% right, she isn't doing this for the good of her health

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Kidder81 on June 03, 2020, 11:01:55 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 03, 2020, 10:32:45 PM
Hmmmmm....

Yeah the academic, media luvvie types all love her, as well as the other spurious funding junkies but you are 100% right, she isn't doing this for the good of her health

Nor are the club, foras na Gaeilge, gaelfast, Ulster GAA, Belfast peace v , community relations Council, big lottery etc etc etc will be all over this.

Milltown Row2

So will it be a paid job this role? None of our presidents have been paid in the past and present and it's an amateur organisation (please no crap about managers for a bit)

So if she's doing it just for attention, it's a bit daft and unfair on the genuine volunteers. I'll hold judgement for a bit yet
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nearlymad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 03, 2020, 11:52:21 PM
So will it be a paid job this role? None of our presidents have been paid in the past and present and it's an amateur organisation (please no crap about managers for a bit)

So if she's doing it just for attention, it's a bit daft and unfair on the genuine volunteers. I'll hold judgement for a bit yet
You are kinder than me.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 03, 2020, 11:52:21 PM

No it's not paid. It's about the funding . I worked in community and voluntary sector for a long time. It's all siphoned off in facilitator fees to individuals. I'm not necessarily saying she will get them here, but it vastly improves her profile and audience to gather them elsewhere and it takes the club up the priority list when looking for funding. Win win.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: nearlymad on June 03, 2020, 09:55:08 PM
Hmmmmm....

It's just another issue for Linda to latch onto. https://sluggerotoole.com/2019/05/03/reaching-across-the-divide/

The link you provided does not support your claim. Everything she says in that article sounds entirely reasonable.

She seems to be an Irish language activist. Is she going to the trouble of painstakingly learning Irish (a tough learning curve if ever there was) just to pull some sort of PR stunt?

She seems to be a unionist from the progressive wing that doesn't see the Irish identity as a threat and something that they can embrace without losing their British identity.

She seems to want to move beyond the Troubles, and have a day of remembrance that honors ALL victims of the Troubles.

She seems to lament the fact that society is so divided, but points out that there's plenty that unites people in working class areas in terms of addiction, poverty, lack of opportunity, etc..

What is it about this woman that's so threatening to so many people here? Why do you not trust her? What am I missing?

omaghjoe

I think she does a good job in promoting the Irish language but I get the feeling she likes to g ok against the grain for the sake of it.
Example 1. Being an ardent proponent of the Irish language while coming from a loyalist background.
Example 2. Emphasising her loyalist background while at Irish language events. I heard that she sung the sash (In Irish) at such an event in Tyrone. ( i laughed when i heard that)
Shes a bit contrary and rubs people up the wrong way as a result but overall I think she is doing important job breaking down barriers etc

nearlymad

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 04, 2020, 07:18:49 AM
I think she does a good job in promoting the Irish language but I get the feeling she likes to g ok against the grain for the sake of it.
Example 1. Being an ardent proponent of the Irish language while coming from a loyalist background.
Example 2. Emphasising her loyalist background while at Irish language events. I heard that she sung the sash (In Irish) at such an event in Tyrone. ( i laughed when i heard that)
Shes a bit contrary and rubs people up the wrong way as a result but overall I think she is doing important job breaking down barriers etc
This Club would be setting up with (sort of) political attachment which I think is misguided.Let those
who are to run it set it up aka the way Clubs have set up all over the world from Gaels not originally
from the new area.Too much baggage and from the outset it would be Linda Ervine's Club and not those who are putting their head the above the paraphet in what is a predominately Unionist stronghold.

MoChara

Quote from: nearlymad on June 04, 2020, 08:37:01 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 04, 2020, 07:18:49 AM
This Club would be setting up with (sort of) political attachment which I think is misguided.Let those
who are to run it set it up aka the way Clubs have set up all over the world from Gaels not originally
from the new area.Too much baggage and from the outset it would be Linda Ervine's Club and not those who are putting their head the above the paraphet in what is a predominately Unionist stronghold.

For want of a less ironic turn of phrase, her presence might in some way be politicising the GAA