Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Started by toby47, March 14, 2019, 11:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo

imtommygunn

I don't think either Ronaldo or messi match up to maradona but they match up to most others i'd say.

trailer

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 08, 2019, 11:32:13 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on May 08, 2019, 09:51:11 AM

I'm probably wrong but I can't really remember too many important games for club or country where Messi has pulled either Barca or Argentina out of a hole

Here's one - Last game of WC 2018 qualifying, 1 down after a minute to Ecuador in Quito (2.8km above sea level) and heading for the embarrassment of not qualifying......

https://www.skysports.com/football/ecuador-vs-argentina/report/349983

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGi7cVxbvr4

Jesus christ. That legendary football nation of Ecuador. Well why didn't you post this earlier? This changes everything.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Angelo on May 08, 2019, 12:40:19 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 08, 2019, 12:22:01 PM
Who has won more Spanish leagues though? Does that mean he's more consistent? Also Ronaldo basically didn't play in portugal's winning euro final team though did get them to the final. Messi has played in a World Cup final.

That Argentina team in the last World Cup were woeful. Sure rojo looks like one of their best defenders and he is atrocious.

Why is it always everyone else's fault? Managers, teammates, tactics. The guy is meant to be the greatest ever, he can't seem to do it when he's needed though.

Messi might be the greatest La Liga player ever but he has huge question marks over his legacy.
Who was it that go Maradona sent off in 1982? Did someone spike his drink in 1994? What stopped him in 1990? Was it his fault or someone else's?

Angelo

Quote from: Esmarelda on May 08, 2019, 01:03:58 PM
Who has won more Spanish leagues though? Does that mean he's more consistent? Also Ronaldo basically didn't play in portugal's winning euro final team though did get them to the final. Messi has played in a World Cup final.

That Argentina team in the last World Cup were woeful. Sure rojo looks like one of their best defenders and he is atrocious.

Why is it always everyone else's fault? Managers, teammates, tactics. The guy is meant to be the greatest ever, he can't seem to do it when he's needed though.

Messi might be the greatest La Liga player ever but he has huge question marks over his legacy.
Who was it that go Maradona sent off in 1982? Did someone spike his drink in 1994? What stopped him in 1990? Was it his fault or someone else's?

Napoli.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

thewobbler

Quote from: Angelo on May 08, 2019, 12:58:54 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 08, 2019, 12:52:21 PM

He really doesn't. As someone said sure Ronaldo is already out of Europe so can he be blamed fo that? His team were beat so was it his fault?

I would flip your question round to ask why is it always his fault? He was not invisible in that game last night and was in fact far from it on little supply and being very very heavily marked.

I'm not on about Ronaldo. In my opinion, neither match up to the greats of previous eras. The tags about greatest ever are ridiculous. I could understand someone in their teens or early 20s thinking so but he's never done it in a World Cup and now seems to have taken up going missing in Europe when the chips are down.

It's a weak era for football.

A weak era for football is when one man can single-handedly win its most prestigious competition

Taylor

Quote from: trailer on May 08, 2019, 01:02:56 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on May 08, 2019, 11:32:13 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on May 08, 2019, 09:51:11 AM

I'm probably wrong but I can't really remember too many important games for club or country where Messi has pulled either Barca or Argentina out of a hole

Here's one - Last game of WC 2018 qualifying, 1 down after a minute to Ecuador in Quito (2.8km above sea level) and heading for the embarrassment of not qualifying......

https://www.skysports.com/football/ecuador-vs-argentina/report/349983

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGi7cVxbvr4

Jesus christ. That legendary football nation of Ecuador. Well why didn't you post this earlier? This changes everything.

+1

Esmarelda

Quote from: Angelo on May 08, 2019, 01:13:42 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on May 08, 2019, 01:03:58 PM

Napoli.
If in doubt, answer a different question than you were asked. Credibility gone I'm afraid.

mouview

He really doesn't. As someone said sure Ronaldo is already out of Europe so can he be blamed fo that? His team were beat so was it his fault?

I would flip your question round to ask why is it always his fault? He was not invisible in that game last night and was in fact far from it on little supply and being very very heavily marked.

I'm not on about Ronaldo. In my opinion, neither match up to the greats of previous eras. The tags about greatest ever are ridiculous. I could understand someone in their teens or early 20s thinking so but he's never done it in a World Cup and now seems to have taken up going missing in Europe when the chips are down.

It's not a weak era for football, it's feck all different now than any time. Actually, probably stronger now, because it's more global and the best players world wide have flocked to the top European leagues, of which La Liga is one. Messi's club career has been a sustained era of brilliance, probably unsurpassed by any other player. Maradona's club career minus Napoil = ?

magpie seanie

Quote from: mouview on May 08, 2019, 02:45:59 PM

It's not a weak era for football, it's feck all different now than any time. Actually, probably stronger now, because it's more global and the best players world wide have flocked to the top European leagues, of which La Liga is one. Messi's club career has been a sustained era of brilliance, probably unsurpassed by any other player. Maradona's club career minus Napoil = ?

Is it a strong era for defenders? Now that they can't plough through from behind or generally kick talented players off the pitch? Sport is about attacking AND defending. The balance has shifted very much in favour of attackers in recent times....this must be remembered.

Esmarelda

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 08, 2019, 02:49:48 PM

Is it a strong era for defenders? Now that they can't plough through from behind or generally kick talented players off the pitch? Sport is about attacking AND defending. The balance has shifted very much in favour of attackers in recent times....this must be remembered.
Agreed, much like the black card in GAA. However, the flip side is that defensive systems/tactics have probably improved.

trailer

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 08, 2019, 02:49:48 PM

Indeed, Marco Van Basten had his career brutally curtailed by challenges that today would land defenders in court.

Angelo

Quote from: thewobbler on May 08, 2019, 01:37:55 PM

A weak era for football is when one man can single-handedly win its most prestigious competition

A weak era for football is when the guy who is meant to be the best player in a world by a landslide distance is a choker who disappears in the face of adversity.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Insane Bolt

Some dung talked on here....Messi took the knocks and carried on.....Ronaldo ....looking for his mirror.
Neither in my opinion are a patch on the GOAT....George Best.....closely followed by Pele.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Insane Bolt on May 08, 2019, 07:15:32 PM
Some dung talked on here....Messi took the knocks and carried on.....Ronaldo ....looking for his mirror.
Neither in my opinion are a patch on the GOAT....George Best.....closely followed by Pele.

Can the mods take the word Bolt off your username? Because you only need the first word after that post

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 08, 2019, 11:22:09 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on May 08, 2019, 07:15:32 PM

Can the mods take the word Bolt off your username? Because you only need the first word after that post

Could be right😂