Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Armaghniac, when you extrapolate your point that seems to be what you're saying.

My point is about gaa stadia in general. I understand there is a shed-load of money that can only be spent in the north, but to my mind just because its there, doesn't mean it should all be spent on the biggest ground that can be afforded. Build a top end stadium of a reasonable size. 38,000 capacity is just a vanity project, which would soon turn into an embarrassment with empty stands at match after match and the inevitable questions arising as to why public money was spent unnecessarily.

I'd love to see Casement developed into the most modern stadium possible, with top class facilities, and its a massive miss at the minute (especially for Ulster club games of which it used to host a lot) but capacity wise 20k is plenty.

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on August 29, 2018, 12:31:16 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 29, 2018, 12:14:07 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 29, 2018, 12:01:17 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 29, 2018, 11:36:02 AM
The problem with stadiums in the GAA is that logic goes out the window.
If the process was managed centrally & strategically, and you could start all over again, there would only be one stadium in every province with a capacity in excess of 40,000, which would host ALL provincial finals.
Each county would have a modern county ground with a capacity of 10-25,000, depending on population size.

Ulster is getting there, Pairc Esler, Athletic Grounds, Healy Park etc are pretty suitable grounds of capacity 17,000 or so and this project would be a bigger stadium for the whole province.

Quote from: haranguerer on August 29, 2018, 11:27:56 AM
So room for every man woman and child in case they ever decide to attend a game. Seems reasonable

Where did I say that?

You already have Clones though.

I'd favour renovating Clones.

The ground is fine. The town and the roads into it arent.

Makes more sense to have a major ground with motorways and major roads. And to have parking facilities outside to cater for park and ride systems, which seems to be the direction we're heading in. Clones was fine transport wise when the town had a railway and most people travelled to matches that way.

An Watcher

Give me clones every time.  Never a fan of casement, more so with regard to its location rather than its facilities, pitch etc.  Clones is a great venue with its tradition, atmosphere and the village itself. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: An Watcher on August 29, 2018, 05:28:24 PM
Give me clones every time.  Never a fan of casement, more so with regard to its location rather than its facilities, pitch etc.  Clones is a great venue with its tradition, atmosphere and the village itself.

Anderson's town is a village, well started out as a village until the lower whack ended up there in the 59's
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

illdecide

Quote from: haranguerer on August 29, 2018, 10:23:29 AM
Quote from: Mourne Red on August 29, 2018, 09:42:55 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on August 29, 2018, 08:58:27 AM
Most gaa grounds have far too high a capacity, including croker. Any stadium is devoid of atmosphere unless its full or close to it, and it has a negative impact on the games and experience.

There is no need for a 38k capacity venue - as stated, with that capacity, its primary use will be (and is intended to be) a concert venue generating income for the gaa.

Develop a top class ground, with facilities to nurture the game and importantly in a divided city, the promotion of it (we may scoff at corporate entertainment, but the rugger gleans a big following from coporate events on friday night, all of which promote the game to an audience who otherwise wouldnt be involved - this is much more important for gaa than it is for rugby) but 20k capacity is plenty, forget about turning it into another white elephant.

It was being developed as a provincial stadium thats why they had so large a capacity, wasn't Antrim saying they'll fill it out every week but Ulster GAA to host Ulster Finals

There's only one ulster final a year (and it doesn't always sell out). The GAA seem to be the only body I know of that aim their stadium capacity at the largest crowd they can attract, rather than the average crowd they will attract

It's better looking at it than looking for it. Forward planning, who knows what the capacities will be in ten or 15 years.
If they build a smaller ground people will be yapping saying wtf did they build it so small for?.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2018, 12:26:04 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 06, 2018, 11:29:47 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 05, 2018, 07:21:49 PM
Ulster GAA  have posted an open letter on Casement progress.

http://ulster.gaa.ie/2018/09/update-from-gaa-on-progress-of-the-casement-park-project/
What does that say thats new?

Didn't realise it had a heading saying something new on Casement.. Did i miss that?
People are talking about encouraging progress. Is there someybing in the letter we didnt know yesterday?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 06, 2018, 12:29:26 PM

http://ulster.gaa.ie/2018/09/update-from-gaa-on-progress-of-the-casement-park-project/

Didn't realise it had a heading saying something new on Casement.. Did i miss that?
People are talking about encouraging progress. Is there someybing in the letter we didnt know yesterday?

"While we are frustrated with the delays we have faced to date, we remain entirely focussed on bringing the project to a successful conclusion. In our ongoing dialogue with other project developers, civic leaders and elected representatives we ask simply for one thing. In the context of the future governance and decision-making arrangements that may be negotiated politically, that Casement Park is not allowed to suffer further delay and that our members throughout Ulster and further afield should not be disadvantaged by the ongoing absence of a modern fit for purpose home for the GAA in the city of Belfast".

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2018, 12:38:11 PM

"While we are frustrated with the delays we have faced to date, we remain entirely focussed on bringing the project to a successful conclusion. In our ongoing dialogue with other project developers, civic leaders and elected representatives we ask simply for one thing. In the context of the future governance and decision-making arrangements that may be negotiated politically, that Casement Park is not allowed to suffer further delay and that our members throughout Ulster and further afield should not be disadvantaged by the ongoing absence of a modern fit for purpose home for the GAA in the city of Belfast".
So nothing.

Its a good letter, but there is no progress to speak of. And blaming politicians for the delay is questionable.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 06, 2018, 01:13:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2018, 12:38:11 PM

So nothing.

Its a good letter, but there is no progress to speak of. And blaming politicians for the delay is questionable.

Can certainly lay the blame with the Ulster council at the start and how they assumed everything would be ok, but the delay at the minute is down to the politicians

Baile Brigín 2

Assumed everything would be ok?

Thats one way of looking at it.